PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar e-mail

chmorley
Aug 18, 2002, 09:52 AM
I received this e-mail from Apple this morning:
Thank you for your pre-order for Jaguar, Mac OS X v10.2!

We know you are anxious to receive Apple's latest Mac OS X version 10.2 that contains over 150 new features and provides significant enhancements to its modern, UNIX-based foundation.

We are preparing your order for shipment in order to meet your selected shipment method. Although you may have received an invoice for a shipping charge, your Mac OS X.2 order will not ship until Wednesday or Thursday. You will be receiving an invoice via email within the next 2-3 days that will provide your tracking shipment numbers. These tracking numbers will become active Wednesday, August 21st or Thursday, August 22nd. Beginning on Wednesday or Thursday you will be able to track your shipment to its destination. We look forward to delivering Mac OS X.2 to you by Saturday, August 24th.
Not sure if this is related to the fact that I have been checking three times a day to see if my order has shipped. Perhaps Apple is experiencing more traffic like this than they would like.

Secondly, this makes me question the reports about some people getting their shipments early. Has anyone here actually received their copy of Jaguar yet--or even confirmation that it has shipped?

Chris

Bear
Aug 18, 2002, 09:55 AM
I received the same email this morning.

The only people I [personally] know who have received Jaguar already are people who just received systems in the last few days. The systems were loaded with 10.1.x with 10.2 on CD's.

mnkeybsness
Aug 18, 2002, 09:59 AM
that looks like a bunch of BS...the grammar is just terrible, and plus, apple would not continually say "will ship on wednesday or thursday." i think they would be more general about things. if this were a real apple email, it probably would have been sent to everyone that pre-ordered jaguar; (i ordered it a couple weeks ago)...no one else has received this email

cleo
Aug 18, 2002, 10:41 AM
I received the exact same email. Woo-hoo!

Date: Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:12:18 AM US/Eastern
To: <blitchre@mac.com>
Subject: Your Jaguar Order Update

Thank you for your pre-order for Jaguar, Mac OS X v10.2!

We know you are anxious to receive Apple’s latest Mac OS X version 10.2 that
contains over 150 new features and provides significant enhancements to its
modern, UNIX-based foundation.

We are preparing your order for shipment in order to meet your selected
shipment method. Although you may have received an invoice for a shipping
charge, your Mac OS X.2 order will not ship until Wednesday or Thursday.
You will be receiving an invoice via email within the next 2-3 days that
will provide your tracking shipment numbers. These tracking numbers will
become active Wednesday, August 21st or Thursday, August 22nd. Beginning on
Wednesday or Thursday you will be able to track your shipment to it’s
destination. We look forward to delivering Mac OS X.2 to you by Saturday,
August 24th.

Thank you for shopping at the Apple Store!

rice_web
Aug 18, 2002, 11:11 AM
I received the e-mail also, I didn't think it was big news.

mox358
Aug 18, 2002, 11:55 AM
I'm sure its real... I received it this morning too. Probably this is a reaction to the combination of people talking about recieving Jaguar early with new systems, and people getting extreamly hyper about the fact that they got shipping emails from apple. If I read this right, everyone who's gotten a shipping email thus far, will have their copy of Jaguar sitting on a dock (ha.. OSX humor) in Cupertino until Wednesday. So it looks from this email that the only people getting Jaguar early will be by one or two days.

I agree with rice_web... it's a confirmation that your order will ship next wednesday... you knew you'd get it by the 24th anyway... theres nothing to see here kids... move along

Shape Shifta
Aug 18, 2002, 11:58 AM
Got the same email.

The grammar is horrible, which surprised me. I was about to correct it and send it back, but it was probably pounded out in haste in order to free up some of the Apple Store phone-que.

rice_web
Aug 18, 2002, 12:11 PM
My favorite quote is:

"Applešs latest Mac OS X version 10.2"

That implies that the X does not mean 10. Does that mean that we'll see Mac OS X 11.0?

I know, it's just bad editing, but it's funny.

IndyGopher
Aug 18, 2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by rice_web
My favorite quote is:

"Apple1s latest Mac OS X version 10.2"

That implies that the X does not mean 10. Does that mean that we'll see Mac OS X 11.0?

I know, it's just bad editing, but it's funny.

Apple has always called it Mac OS X v. 10.x.x And yes, you will indeed see OS X v.11... so I don't understand why you call it bad editing.

mnkeybsness
Aug 18, 2002, 12:56 PM
i don't see how some people can receive this email and others don't...when did all of you order yours? i ordered mine on the 27th of july

billiam0878
Aug 18, 2002, 01:46 PM
I just received the same e-mail. They say it will ship Wednesday or Thursday-- Do you think there's a possibility that (with standard delivery) it will arrive before Saturday?

Bill

edesignuk
Aug 18, 2002, 02:00 PM
* upset :( * I havn't recieved any e-mail regarding my copy of Jaguar.

MacUser1
Aug 18, 2002, 02:12 PM
i just order my edu. discounted copy just a few days ago and I got the e-mail. i can't wait! :D

chmorley
Aug 18, 2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by rice_web
I received the e-mail also, I didn't think it was big news. I didn't post it because I thought it was news. I posted because it made me questions the rumors about some copies shipping early (as I wrote). Reading comprehension 101: read the whole thing.

So has anyone received a new copy or word that it was on the way?

Chris

mnkeybsness
Aug 18, 2002, 09:53 PM
i would like to know why some of us haven't yet received this email...and why it was sent on a sunday for most of you...that seems like such an odd day for anyone to be working...especially for apple....all i know is that i want jaguar and i want it now...i have no patience

Shape Shifta
Aug 18, 2002, 11:05 PM
Don't know why some would have gotten it and others not. I think perhaps it was because I received an invoice for the shipping charges (I got express shipping) the day before. Those who received THAT invoice probably got all excited thinking their copy was going to ship, so Apple sent out a clarifying email. I also ordered mine on edu discount.

awrc
Aug 22, 2002, 06:58 AM
Well, I received the notice on Sunday and now - 4 days later by my count - have yet to receive a tracking number.

I'd assumed the "Wednesday and Thursday" was for the shipping of 2nd day and next day air packages respectively, but since today's the last day they can send my copies by next day air if I'm to receive it in time (unless they're paying the extra for FedEx Saturday delivery, which I doubt) and I've yet to receive even an inactive tracking number, who knows?

User X
Aug 22, 2002, 07:39 AM
I am in the same boat. I recieved the e-mail on sunday and here it is thursday morning and no tracking number. I ordered mine 2nd day air. My online order status still says being assembled. I am going to be pissed if I don't get it until next week. I can only hope they are backed up and have not had time to get the tracking numbers out to everybody. I had that happen with a 17" display that got delivered to me before I recieved a number.

brogers
Aug 22, 2002, 08:43 AM
I got the same one too. My Dad also got it over the weekend and then yesterday...Wednesday...he recieved an e-mail saying his copy had shipped. He went to the web site and it said fully shipped. He ordered his early last week. I ordered mine on July 17th. I got the e-mail, but no shipment notification.

gopher
Aug 22, 2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
that looks like a bunch of BS...the grammar is just terrible, and plus, apple would not continually say "will ship on wednesday or thursday." i think they would be more general about things. if this were a real apple email, it probably would have been sent to everyone that pre-ordered jaguar; (i ordered it a couple weeks ago)...no one else has received this email

I received the same e-mail. Purchased at Apple Store on July 17th.

Shape Shifta
Aug 22, 2002, 10:07 AM
I got the email AND the shipping notification, but the shipping notification was a day late. It shipped yesterday and I got the email today. According to Fed Ex (I got 2 day service), at last scan it was in Tennessee yesterday afternoon on it's way to Minnesota.

The anticipation is KILLING ME!!!

(By the way, we're dorks.) ;-)

mnkeybsness
Aug 22, 2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Shape Shifta
According to Fed Ex (I got 2 day service), at last scan it was in Tennessee yesterday afternoon on it's way to Minnesota.

i'm confused...it was scanned in tennessee and then to minnesota...isn't your location listed as boston?

crazytom
Aug 22, 2002, 01:55 PM
Since they started with the whole 'X' deal, why not keep it going? Mac OS X.I; X.I.V; X.II??? Why quit what you've started? :confused: :)

chmorley
Aug 22, 2002, 02:01 PM
Mine arrived in Denver at 12:37 Mountain Time today.

Betcha I'm not the only one...

Chris

brogers
Aug 22, 2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by chmorley
Mine arrived in Denver at 12:37 Mountain Time today.

Betcha I'm not the only one...

Chris

So did you ever get a shipping notice??? I would like to think that mine is on the way to, but no actuall shipping notice...just e-mail saying it would ship Wednesday or Thursday.

mnkeybsness
Aug 22, 2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by crazytom
Since they started with the whole 'X' deal, why not keep it going? Mac OS X.I; X.I.V; X.II??? Why quit what you've started? :confused: :)

i noticed you are a newbie...

...X does not necessarily mean 10...X is more just a name for the mac unix system...meaning...it's not X.2, but there is X v.10.2 and someday could be X v.11.0 and 12 and so on

chmorley
Aug 22, 2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by brogers
So did you ever get a shipping notice??? I would like to think that mine is on the way to, but no actuall shipping notice...just e-mail saying it would ship Wednesday or Thursday. I actually got two shipping notices. The first was sent yesterday. When I checked the FedEx tracking number, it said no such item existed. When I checked again this morning (after getting my second notice), it said it was expected to arrive 99/99/9999. When I checked at noon, it was in Denver. At 12:45, it was here!

Chris

User X
Aug 22, 2002, 03:11 PM
Thursday 4:11pm......still no shipping notice........I am begining to loose hope. Has anyone recieved a copy without a shipping notice sent?:(

bigsteve3
Aug 22, 2002, 03:20 PM
Sorry, bud. I got my shipping notice today, and Fedex says that it's in Tennessee on the way...Yay!!!

UserX, when did you order it? Right after MacWorld, or later than that?

crazytom
Aug 22, 2002, 04:07 PM
i noticed you are a newbie...

Yes, yes I am... But, there are 10 kinds of people in the world. The ones who understand binary and the ones that don't. ;)

bbarnhart
Aug 22, 2002, 04:11 PM
Has anyone who ordered from Amazon.com received notification that their copy is shipping. Mine still says product not available (or something like that). I wonder if Amazon will ship to customers who didn't get the US$50 rebate first?

User X
Aug 22, 2002, 06:13 PM
I ordered it on august 10 from the education site. I realize I won't be first in line, but the letter I got made it sound like it woud ship this week. I guess I won't hold my breath.

MacUser1
Aug 22, 2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by User X
I ordered it on august 10 from the education site. I realize I won't be first in line, but the letter I got made it sound like it woud ship this week. I guess I won't hold my breath.
Yeah, I was hoping that I would get it Friday or Saturday too. But if I get it on Monday or Tuesday, I'll be happy. I have a wireless network printer to set up on 3 computers to pass the time.

gopher
Aug 22, 2002, 09:07 PM
And no shipment notification other than the generic will ship Wednesday or Thursday. The front fo the box shows it shipped out yesterday. If there is one thing I noticed it is faster than the version downloaded off the net. Still has the bug of not always showing the application in the foreground when launched. But perhaps this is because I installed it over my existing copy of 10.1.5 on my internal hard drive as an upgrade. This time I used the second disk. The first time the downloaded version I installed on an external partition clean. So it appears it doesn't matter. There are some minor bugs...oh and connect to server still won't FTP to my webserver running Linux further than the root directory. And worse yet, it forgot that Quicktime 6 had the MPEG2 export function installed from my DVD Studio Pro installation. Looks like I'm going to be on the phone with Apple about that one.