PDA

View Full Version : Help: Powerbook doesn't complete boot

McBain
Nov 17, 2004, 03:49 PM
Hi all,

I just received a 12" Powerbook I bought off eBay. I was told that everything is fine with the computer, and the seller told me that he would be reinstalling the software.

I just got the computer, and it won't boot. When I start up the computer, it doesn't get past the first screen and stalls with the following error:

"You need to restart you computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."

From a quick Google, it seems that this is a kernel panic (I don't know...is it?)

What do I do about it though?

Any ideas?

idkew
Nov 17, 2004, 04:13 PM
reformat the machine. reinstall os x.

if that doen't fix it, you may have received a bogus machine.

McBain
Nov 17, 2004, 04:17 PM
I'd love to. But how do I reinstall if I get the error message as soon as I turn it on?

mrviga
Nov 17, 2004, 04:28 PM
The seller should have sent a DVD or a CD with OSX and iLife and stuff on it. Insert the CD and restart the computer while holding the "C" key. then follow the menus to reformat. It's fairly easy if I remember correctly. Oh, and booting from the CD takes a long time, like 4-5 mins, so be patient...:) Good Luck!

McBain
Nov 17, 2004, 07:14 PM
Problem solved. I reseated the Airport Card and reinstalled all software. I'm posting from the PowerBook right now.

Thanks to all who replied.