PDA

View Full Version : Airport Express and AirTunes in Windows XP..

toughboy
Nov 18, 2004, 04:19 AM
I bought an Airport Express couple of days ago and I can't use the AirTunes function with my PC, running Windows XP.. I use a Surecom 802.11gp router..

By the way I couldn't make "bridging" too.. Is there anyone who could run AirTunes with Windows XP, and could bridge the WiFi signal?

toughboy
Nov 18, 2004, 04:23 AM
A friend of mine said that Airtunes needs Airport Base Station to run on Windows XP. I have Surecom's access point-router instead. :confused:

chameeeleon
Nov 18, 2004, 07:34 AM
Bridging only works if you have another Apple-branded Airport base station, but Airtunes should work just fine on Windows no matter what kind of other base station you're connected to the internet on. Make sure it's plugged into your stereo, reset it, and then open iTunes again. Otherwise try running the setup assistant again.

krohde
Nov 18, 2004, 07:49 AM
In order for itunes to enable airtunes you have to manually connect to the wireless netwok provided by the airport express. you cannot be connected to a different network for internet and expect itunes to differentiate the type of connection. If your router has a network port (ie cable access) you can connect the AE to the router using a network cable and then connect to the AE for internet access (the AE will route the traffic to the other router and then onto the web). THis will allow you to connect to the AE with airtunes and be able to use the same conncetion for internet.

Westside guy
Nov 18, 2004, 10:34 AM
Actually while you can't extend a non-Apple wireless network with the Airport Express, you should be able to use it as a client to join most any wireless network.

On XP do you have both necessary ports open - 3689 TCP and 5353 UDP?

toughboy
Nov 18, 2004, 10:56 PM
Bridging only works if you have another Apple-branded Airport base station, but Airtunes should work just fine on Windows no matter what kind of other base station you're connected to the internet on. Make sure it's plugged into your stereo, reset it, and then open iTunes again. Otherwise try running the setup assistant again.

what is the basic reason for "bridging only works with Apple's base stations"??? is there anyway to hack it, or make some tweaks etc.?

igucl
Nov 18, 2004, 11:00 PM
you should have no trouble using AirTunes with Win XP. It works just fine with my setup.

toughboy
Nov 18, 2004, 11:09 PM
you should have no trouble using AirTunes with Win XP. It works just fine with my setup.

It is s weird that there is a great problem between my Surecom router and AE but on the other hand, when I plug the Airport Express and if my powerbook is in range, then I even don't need a router to communicate with it, it just works fine with just a powerbook...

is there any Surecom 802.11gp users here, what could be the solution??

toughboy
Nov 19, 2004, 01:53 AM
is it because we have a desktop and we use our router over ethernet? if i buy a PCI wi-fi card, will i see the wireless connection icon in system tray? i think the problem is that icon. :(

jeremy.king
Nov 19, 2004, 09:44 AM
It is s weird that there is a great problem between my Surecom router and AE but on the other hand, when I plug the Airport Express and if my powerbook is in range, then I even don't need a router to communicate with it, it just works fine with just a powerbook...

is there any Surecom 802.11gp users here, what could be the solution??

Let me get this straight so we all understand.

You have the AExpress wired to the router (since you can't bridge) and are trying to connect to it from your XP machine using the wired connection, right? If this is your setup, you must setup the AExpress in client mode. See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108064 for more information.

Let me know if I am way off, your posts are pretty vague and don't provide a lot of detail.

armandocerna
Nov 21, 2004, 05:19 PM
You actually can use the AE router to repeat a non apple router signal. Of course apple won't admit this becasue they want you to buy more stuff. Checkout this (http://weblogs.java.net/blog/inder/archive/2004/10/using_airport_e_1.html) link. I think there are a few more things you have to do to get it to work perfectly try doing a google search. Now keep in mind this is for a linksys wrt54g there may be a way to get it to work on your router. I have this setup working at home and it works great. I can still stream all my music to the AE and it acts as a repeater for a hard to reach part of my house. Good luck

Armando