PDA

View Full Version : Imac g5 disable Burning CD

mdetry
Nov 18, 2004, 06:30 PM
I am buying 7 Imac 20" for a company and I need to disable the Burning of the CD-ROM for secrity reasons. Is this possible?

The CD/DVD should continue to read CDs and DVDs but should not be able to burn them?

Can this be made by software. Does anyone know how?

Thanks,

Marcos

jackieonasses
Nov 18, 2004, 06:38 PM
I am buying 7 Imac 20" for a company and I need to disable the Burning of the CD-ROM for secrity reasons. Is this possible?

The CD/DVD should continue to read CDs and DVDs but should not be able to burn them?

Can this be made by software. Does anyone know how?

Thanks,

Marcos Yes, make a new account and go to "some limitations" then disable finder burning, and diable the program toast. THat should be easy....

Falleron
Nov 19, 2004, 06:46 AM
The above suggestion works great. You set what the user can do. I would greatly appeciate knowing if you found a way to do it systemwide so that it was not specific to the user.

Thanks

Chappers
Nov 19, 2004, 08:03 AM
Yeh take the plug off

Sorry

saabmp3
Nov 19, 2004, 10:53 PM
replace the burner with a DVDrom. Disabling some software, it'll always be possible to put something else on instead which can burn.

BEN

Counterfit
Nov 19, 2004, 11:27 PM
If the CDs & DVDs preference pane is one of the lockable ones (By which I mean it's only accessible to admins, which I think it is), you can set "When you insert a blank CD" and "When you insert a blank DVD" to "Ignore" and that might work. It would be best to use a combination of that and the user limitations through the account.

Mechcozmo
Nov 20, 2004, 02:22 AM
Place duct tape over the CD slot. :D

In the users pane is the only way I know how to do it. Just disable all the programs that can burn and you are set. Takes a while though..