Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
This weekend I had a chance to get some time on the new machines and the old dual 1gig. I don't have all the data with me (its on my pismo, at home) but wanted to get the results up here asap for all those like me flip flopping between the new 1 gig, the new 867 or the old 1 gig.

What did I do? I had to use iMovie for the video rendering. They did not have FCP installed. I was able to render a ew sequences on both macines using the same clips. I also encoded a .MOV to MPEG4 using QT. I did a photoshop radial blur on a 33MB tiff. The last test was to encode MP3s to aiff. The old 1 gig was not in the apple store so I had to do very limited testing on that at CompUSA. I was only able to do the iMovie encoding - no quicktime 6 or photoshop and not the same mp3s...I forgot that CD :(

The bottom line? The new dual 1 gig was on average 16% faster than the 867. Thats exacly how much more processing power it has too. All the tests ranged from ~15.8%-17% faster so the results were pretty uniform. The old dual gig was 2 seconds slower (350 vs 352) in the iMovie rendering.

I would have liked to have done more tests, but did not have much time. I limited the tests to stuff I would be doing on mine (video rendering and photoshop). I will have a chance to look at the new ones more later this week if anyone would like to see any additional tests.

Hope that helps. It sure did for me. 16% is not enough to justify the extra $600. So I ordered a dual 867 with superdrive.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
I guess that's about right and to be expected, I've used them all seperately and I got the feeling that the new gig was faster, though I didn't have anyhting on me to run objective tests.

Again, though, the point that has been well made in many threads, BEnchmarks are only usefull if they reflect your daily needs and routines. Really, every body should select and perform their pwn sets of tests and run them. Maybe apple could facilitate that in the retail stores. A benchmark center that people can use to run their own tests and then publish the results right there, so other people c an pick and choose the things that fit their daily lives.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.