PDA

View Full Version : What do you want in a 5G iPod?

wrldwzrd89
Nov 20, 2004, 03:02 PM
Here's what I'd like to see in the 5G iPod:

- More capacity
- Ability to play files with a 96 KHz sample rate
- Support for 3 additional formats: HE-AAC, MP3PRO, and WMA

Phat_Pat
Nov 20, 2004, 03:22 PM
bigger space
better earphones
small form factor
color screen
cheaper ;)

coconn06
Nov 20, 2004, 03:23 PM
Here's what I'd like to see in the 5G iPod:

- More capacity
- Ability to play files with a 96 KHz sample rate
- Support for 3 additional formats: HE-AAC, MP3PRO, and WMA

I'd like to see support for Ogg Vorbis. It's open and free, I don't understand why they wouldn't support it.

Although what I think is most important is longer battery life and less expensive. Those might not be possible, but are more useful than many of the "cool" features like downloadable games, etc.

wrldwzrd89
Nov 20, 2004, 03:29 PM
I'd like to see support for Ogg Vorbis. It's open and free, I don't understand why they wouldn't support it.

Although what I think is most important is longer battery life and less expensive. Those might not be possible, but are more useful than many of the "cool" features like downloadable games, etc.
You know what, while we're at it, why not include Monkeys Audio support too?

musicpyrite
Nov 20, 2004, 03:34 PM
-support for ogg vorbis
-cheaper
-fm/am radio
-color screen
-downloadable games

dotnina
Nov 20, 2004, 03:48 PM
Color screen (please please please please? :))
Back to "all white," or at least get rid of the grey wheel
Smaller form factor
Aluminum enclosure (not going to happen, but you can hope)

Pixeled_Apple
Nov 20, 2004, 05:04 PM
iPod Photo costs way too much, The reason I want it, is bcoz of the colour screen :p

xgsrpg
Nov 20, 2004, 05:28 PM
I'd love to see Sound Enhancer like in iTunes. When I plug in my headphones into my PowerBook and turn up Sound Enhancer all the way on iTunes, my tracks sound much better than on my 3G iPod (not that the iPod sucks, its just not as good as iTunes with Sound Enhancer).

cubist
Nov 20, 2004, 05:41 PM
What I'd like:
1. PDA features greatly improved. A To-Do list with categories (like playlists). The tasks show up on the calendar. The user can edit them, too, changing their date or marking them completed. User can even enter new items in a pinch, altho it is cumbersome.
2. Aluminum enclosure like a big mini, making it ruggeder.
3. No 'formatting as mac or pc'. Just one directory structure used by either version.
4. Software development kit allowing any developer to write programs to run on it.

Number 4 is especially important. The iPod is a closed, proprietary box with frustratingly limited characteristics. Basically, it's just a music player - for what it does today, it's far too expensive.

wrldwzrd89
Nov 20, 2004, 05:51 PM
What I'd like:
1. PDA features greatly improved. A To-Do list with categories (like playlists). The tasks show up on the calendar. The user can edit them, too, changing their date or marking them completed. User can even enter new items in a pinch, altho it is cumbersome.
3. No 'formatting as mac or pc'. Just one directory structure used by either version.
4. Software development kit allowing any developer to write programs to run on it.

Number 4 is especially important. The iPod is a closed, proprietary box with frustratingly limited characteristics. Basically, it's just a music player - for what it does today, it's far too expensive.
#1 will take some new software, but shouldn't be TOO hard.
#2 is just a hardware change - even simpler.
#3 is the tough one. How could Apple do this, yet still allow the iPod to be used as a hard drive on both platforms? I haven't the foggiest idea.
#4 is also challenging - it's harder than #1, but easier than #3. Apple must make some decisions on how to expose the APIs to programmers such that no trade secrets are revealed. I would support such a move.

atari1356
Nov 20, 2004, 07:06 PM
cheaper, smaller and a built in 5 megapixel camera :D

Jovian9
Nov 20, 2004, 10:08 PM
White iPods that have the scratch resistance of the minis
Video Out
Increased battery life
Tetris
iPod Desktop Picture capability
Wireless Out to my stereo
100GB's
Built In Voice Recording
DJ functions (pitch, tempo, etc.)

Koodauw
Nov 21, 2004, 12:28 AM
A white mini, but with all the cool stuff of the iPod Photo.

OH and Jon Ive's signature on the back like the U2 ones. ;)

Lollypop
Nov 21, 2004, 01:35 AM
Color screen
Better battery life
Bluetooth support :cool:

2A Batterie
Nov 21, 2004, 01:40 AM
A feature that stops people from asking about what next generation iPods should/will have for at least 5 minutes after new ones have been released. ;)

Vanilla
Nov 21, 2004, 03:20 AM
Higher resolution colour screen
Slimmer
Integrate a 4+ megapixel camera
Wifi

veedubdrew
Nov 21, 2004, 04:35 AM
I'd like to see a small light sensor on the face of the ipod that would automatically adjust backlight brightness like my PowerBook. I'd imagine that would save battery life quite a bit.

I'd like a flip-out headphone wraparound thingy like my PowerBook's AC adapter. I'm always getting my headphones all tangled up.

Better battery life never hurt either, so I'll take some of that in my 5G iPod. I'd also like to see the screen face to be ever so slightly recessed, like my iPod mini's is. I have yet to get a scratch on my mini's screen, despite the lack of a full protective case.

And while we're at it, I'll take a CF card reader in the full-size iPod for storing photos without an adapter.

-Drew

joed
Nov 21, 2004, 05:54 AM
Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR (optional bluetooth headphones)
Larger screen on the high end iPod photo (physically larger)
SD Card slot on iPod photo (or CF) and ability to play movies from cameras
And third party games and apps (I agree that there should be an SDK)

wrldwzrd89
Nov 21, 2004, 07:16 AM
iPod Desktop Picture capability

What do you mean by this? My best guess is including pictures on the iPod in the choices for desktop pictures, which needs to be done at the OS level, not in the iPod. That means that it could be implemented today, with a small Mac OS X update, with the existing iPod Photo we have now.

Jovian9
Nov 22, 2004, 01:47 PM
What do you mean by this? My best guess is including pictures on the iPod in the choices for desktop pictures, which needs to be done at the OS level, not in the iPod. That means that it could be implemented today, with a small Mac OS X update, with the existing iPod Photo we have now.

Setting a picture behind your menu choices. They probably could do that now, but they have not.....so I'd like to see it implemented.

markjones05
Nov 22, 2004, 02:27 PM
#1 cheaper
#2 smaller
#3 color screen but not if it affects price, size or battery life.

stevehaslip
Nov 22, 2004, 03:10 PM
i only just got me a 4g at the weekend! but i guess that the things that would make it better would be:

better battery life (not that its bad at the mo though)
colour screen
wifi capabilities based on that patent that was recently applied for.
slightly smaller
scratch resistant

but i dont think that you'll get all of these! as for bluetooth headphones, well i'm not sure here i may be totally wrong but can bluetooth support stereo output at a high quality? i'm sure i read that most phone headsets are mono for calls and mp3 playback because bluetooths capabilities are limited. anyone know for sure?

sigamy
Nov 22, 2004, 03:14 PM
Touch screen LCD and hyperlinked items on the Now playing screen. When I shuffle all my songs I sometimes hit an artist/album that I'd like to switch to. If the artist name and album title should be hyperlinks so that I just click on them with my finger or stylus and it jumps there and continues playing from that artist or album.

flyfish29
Nov 22, 2004, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I would buy one in a second if I could edit with pda like features on my iCal, address book, to do list, etc.

What I'd like:

zelmo
Nov 22, 2004, 03:31 PM
more scratch resistant housing, like the mini
2.5" color touch screen display
100GB storage
AAC+ support
3.2 megapixel digital camera with 3x optical/4x digital zoom and a flash
voice recorder
FM
video out
PDA functionality/stylus
cell phone functionality
24 hour battery life
BT
WiFi
AE remote functionality
wireless FW transfers
fold my sons laundry (any idea how many pieces of kids clothing can fit in one load of wash?)
$199 price point
size/thickness of three stacked credit cards
headphones with a retractable cord that won't tangle
caloric burn count
heart rate monitor
7-in-1 card reader built-in

that's all for now
:p :D

wrldwzrd89
Nov 22, 2004, 07:42 PM
100GB storage
AAC+ support
voice recorder
FM
video out
PDA functionality/stylus
cell phone functionality
24 hour battery life
BT
WiFi
AE remote functionality
wireless FW transfers
fold my sons laundry (any idea how many pieces of kids clothing can fit in one load of wash?)
$199 price point
caloric burn count
heart rate monitor

that's all for now
Whoa, that'd be one heck of an iPod, and a major engineering feat by Apple, if they could cram all that stuff in there. Also, this thread has become more popular than I could have ever imagined - and it wasn't up to 2 pages yet when I posted this.

joepunk
Nov 22, 2004, 09:37 PM
When I first saw the header for this thread I thought it was about a 5 gig iPod :o

But now that I realized my mistake here is what I would like to see on a 5G iPod:
1. colour screens all around
2. a built in camera
3. scratch resistant plastic/metal
4. a brightness dimmer for the backlight function
5. a clip remote like the one that used to come with it but with a lcd screen telling me what song and battery life so I wouldn't have to dig it out of my pocket/book bag.
6. someway to help keep those black earbud cushions from falling off (like what just happened now, wait I just found it on the floor :p
7. coloured earbuds for the mini
8. iPod stickers (similar to the ones that come with a mac purchase)

ocellnuri
Nov 22, 2004, 10:07 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet... it's one of the most critical updates that should be made to any iPod in my opinion... Gapless playback.

Mechcozmo
Nov 22, 2004, 11:20 PM
The reason why there is no iPod SDK is because otherwise the very first program out would be a "select a song to transfer over to another iPod" style thing. It might even dump it into the FW hard disk space, thus making it even easier to copy music.

Also, Ogg Vorbis files take quite a bit more CPU time. Check out Page Two of this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=97152&page=2&highlight=ogg+vorbis+g4) for my screenshots on it. The iPods would need a speed boost. Also, WMA files are MS-owed codecs and therefore are a PITA to have play on the iPod. However, iTunes can convert those files if need be... so long as they are unprotected.

Rogier
Nov 23, 2004, 03:23 AM
I would like to be able to remove songs from my iPod. I think it is pretty annoying that you have to hear an uncool song over and over again, because you can't remember at home anymore which song(s) you wanted to remove...

And I think a bluetooth option would not make any sense, particularly since bluetooth is still ludicrously slow (updating 20 gigs via bluetooth is a definite no-no) and drains your battery in no time.

earthtoandy
Nov 23, 2004, 03:49 AM
ability to adjust the crossfade. all i need is the same exact control as itunes. seems simple enough

wrldwzrd89
Nov 23, 2004, 04:39 AM
The reason why there is no iPod SDK is because otherwise the very first program out would be a "select a song to transfer over to another iPod" style thing. It might even dump it into the FW hard disk space, thus making it even easier to copy music.

Also, Ogg Vorbis files take quite a bit more CPU time. Check out Page Two of this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=97152&page=2&highlight=ogg+vorbis+g4) for my screenshots on it. The iPods would need a speed boost. Also, WMA files are MS-owed codecs and therefore are a PITA to have play on the iPod. However, iTunes can convert those files if need be... so long as they are unprotected.
I've read somewhere on these forums that WMA playback abilities are present in the chips iPods use; it's just disabled. Also, even if iTunes can convert unprotected WMA files, it'll only work on Windows because the hooks into the Windows Media SDK that iTunes uses to do the conversion are only present in the Windows version of Windows Media Player.

johnnyjibbs
Nov 23, 2004, 05:22 AM
They could make the iPod Mac+PC compatible simaltaneously by having it formatted in FAT32 format, rather than HFS+. But I only use mine with my Mac and don't need it for transferring data so it doesn't bother me.

I like my new 4G iPod and think it's better than the 3G ones (I prefer the button arrangement). Gapless or even crossfaded playback would be super, but it does most of what I want it to.

I think one of the iPod's biggest assets is its size and simplicity - add too many features, like editing iCal events and the typing essays on it and it suddenly becomes clumsy and hard to use. I mean, do we really need it to be twice the size so that we can have a 7-in-1 card reader available at any time? If you need that, buy the extras that add this functionality as and when you need it.

My only gripe is that the accessories cost so much just because it's an iPod. 89 for the Belkin card reader accessory is absolutely absurd. 29 for the official case???! Also, who would ever buy the 6 worldwide plug adaptor kit? Why not just get a standard travel plug adaptor so that you can use it with other appliances, not just your iPod?

Oh, and not including a case any more with the actual product is a criminal offence, considering the price of iPods.

wrldwzrd89
Nov 23, 2004, 05:27 AM
They could make the iPod Mac+PC compatible simaltaneously by having it formatted in FAT32 format, rather than HFS+. But I only use mine with my Mac and don't need it for transferring data so it doesn't bother me.
The reason Apple doesn't ship all iPods formatted as FAT32 is because some Mac users like to install Mac OS X on their iPod(s) and boot their Mac(s) off the iPod hard drive - this only works if the iPod is HFS+ formatted.

johnnyjibbs
Nov 23, 2004, 05:33 AM
The reason Apple doesn't ship all iPods formatted as FAT32 is because some Mac users like to install Mac OS X on their iPod(s) and boot their Mac(s) off the iPod hard drive - this only works if the iPod is HFS+ formatted.
Sure, that's a good point, but there's no harm in Apple giving an option to format the iPod into whichever format the user would prefer is there?

wrldwzrd89
Nov 23, 2004, 05:38 AM
Sure, that's a good point, but there's no harm in Apple giving an option to format the iPod into whichever format the user would prefer is there?
Nope - however, remember that Apple's aiming for the simplest approach. Keep in mind that the vast majority of computer users (Mac and PC users alike that haven't found these forums mostly :D ) don't know what the different hard drive formats are, so giving them a choice would just confuse them. Far better to hide the formatting options inside of the disk formatting utility, like Apple does now (on both Mac and Windows); people brave enough to enter a disk formatting utility had better know what they're doing.

AmigoMac
Nov 23, 2004, 06:13 AM

I personally think that the reason is hope. they hope everyone will choose a mac as the main syncing center for the iPod, I don't believe they think about people installing Mac OS X in iPods, it's because it's the format they use in their system and that's it. IMO

What I want to see, SDK, do firmware update to avoid piracy (I have no clue about this) and give SDK to developers. (Risky but would be great), again, IMO.

Jovian9
Nov 23, 2004, 06:41 AM
8. iPod stickers (similar to the ones that come with a mac purchase)

I actually got mini-Apple stickers (2) with my iPod Photo.......just to let you know :)

stevehaslip
Nov 23, 2004, 10:48 AM
I actually got mini-Apple stickers (2) with my iPod Photo.......just to let you know :)

awesome! nice touch there! does that mean that they are including them with all new macs again? can anyone say who just bought an imag g5 or something?

i think i read somewhere that the reason apple doesn't use fat32 on its iPods is because its not as stable as the mac formatted ones? it was either that or that its faster than fat32? is that true or just crap someone made up?

if you want a fat32 formatted drive then you can now buy an hp iPod. :p "yeah right, and monky's might fly out of my butt!" :p

stephenli
Nov 23, 2004, 11:09 AM
PowerPC
OSX custom
Airport
GSM / W-CDMA
Colour Screen (a large one, please) or even touch screen
Quicktime

o wait...should it still call iPod, may be it is an iNewton then...

mashinhead
Nov 23, 2004, 11:42 AM
100GB storage
AAC+ support
voice recorder
FM
video out
PDA functionality/stylus
cell phone functionality
24 hour battery life
BT
WiFi
AE remote functionality
wireless FW transfers
$199 price point
caloric burn count
heart rate monitor

that's all for now

wow, that would end up looking like the car homer built on the simpsons.

i go for:

cheaper, lighter, thinner, hold more
longer battery
better headphones (or no headphones at all and make it cheaper) a must
color screen(no photo)
wi-fi
better pda, as some have said,
oh, and i'm down with ogg

i personally think the ipod will evlove into a pda. i think it will look like the current ipod minus the click wheel, with the screen extending to cover the whole space.

quick someone mock one up in photoshop!

cubist
Nov 23, 2004, 12:12 PM
Really like that laundry-folding idea. Even if it doesn't have PDA features or an SDK, that alone'd make it worth the money!

joepunk
Nov 23, 2004, 01:12 PM
Now I may be crazy thinking of this but how about having solar panels on the iPod. that way it could be recharged/not use much battery life if you are out in the sun. Of course the iPod could melt under the sun. I only thought of this because I saw on CTV morning news a jacket that had removable solar panels on the back for recharging electronic devices such as an iPod.

The jacket is at www.scottevest.com

rueyeet
Nov 23, 2004, 04:22 PM
Solar panels aren't yet efficient enough at power generated per square inch for an iPod-sized panel to power the iPod; and also, if the panel needed to be exposed to the sun, how would you carry the iPod or put it in a case? Either way you'd cover the solar panel.

For a 5th gen iPod, you can't go wrong with bigger capacity and better battery life. Color screens across the board would be good too. I don't see Apple lowering prices while iPods are still selling like hotcakes, though.

Updating the enclosure to either mini-like aluminum or new iBook-like matte white is largely useless but might be a fun aesthetic change. Less size is tricky, because the iPod is such a nice size in the hand....the mini is pushing the size-in-hand factor. You want things to be large enough that they don't get lost easily, and have a big enough screen to present sufficient information.

I'd love gapless playback....The Wall, The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile would all be playable on the iPod if that were a feature.

I don't agree with putting camera, phone, or more PDA functionality in the iPod, unless Apple can be the very first company to make a convergence device that's actually good at EVERYTHING.

Mechcozmo
Nov 23, 2004, 06:46 PM
Solar Panels that operate at 12% efficiency cost about 10 bucks/square inch. They are brown, too. Factoid of the day for you...

johnbro23
Nov 23, 2004, 07:14 PM
awesome! nice touch there! does that mean that they are including them with all new macs again? can anyone say who just bought an imag g5 or something?

My eMac came with 2 stickers. Any suggestions on what to do with them?

crazzyeddie
Nov 23, 2004, 08:30 PM
My eMac came with 2 stickers. Any suggestions on what to do with them?

Car window, display your love for Apple.

wide
Nov 23, 2004, 08:34 PM
1. wireless firewire connection (fw800, of course)
2. can drive my car with the scroll wheel
3. hold button functions are cruise control
4. backlight on = headlights on
5. color screen (OLED) on all models
6. thinner (but only slightly)
7. smaller (again, only slightly)
8. can add/remove laser engravings
9. wifi (and safari)
10. headphones that retract into the ipod itself, and then disappear until you hold down the select button
11. never needs to be recharged
12. downloadable games
13. movie-viewing capabilities (i know, jobs won't let it happen)
14. built in speakers
15. automatic ipod-cleansing setting (like an automatic car wash)
16. medicine cabinet
17. superdrive
18. free dual powermac g5
19. ipod version of itunes software (the same thing, preferably)
20. as a feature for the ipod version of itunes (see number 19), i would greatly like the big, white ipod to be able to morph into the mini iPod, and the other way around (this is like the "mini player" in iTunes
21. the ability to show those cool wavelengths that iTunes shows when one plays a song
22. visualizer like in iTunes, with custom animations available
23. plays all formats
24. unprotects protected AAC files
25. high-voltage taser-thing, like the phone in james bond (that, like the 5G ipod, is able to drive cars)

wrldwzrd89
Nov 24, 2004, 04:18 AM
1. wireless firewire connection (fw800, of course)
2. can drive my car with the scroll wheel
3. hold button functions are cruise control
4. backlight on = headlights on
5. color screen (OLED) on all models
6. thinner (but only slightly)
7. smaller (again, only slightly)
8. can add/remove laser engravings
9. wifi (and safari)
10. headphones that retract into the ipod itself, and then disappear until you hold down the select button
11. never needs to be recharged
12. downloadable games
13. movie-viewing capabilities (i know, jobs won't let it happen)
14. built in speakers
15. automatic ipod-cleansing setting (like an automatic car wash)
16. medicine cabinet
17. superdrive
18. free dual powermac g5
19. ipod version of itunes software (the same thing, preferably)
20. as a feature for the ipod version of itunes (see number 19), i would greatly like the big, white ipod to be able to morph into the mini iPod, and the other way around (this is like the "mini player" in iTunes
21. the ability to show those cool wavelengths that iTunes shows when one plays a song
22. visualizer like in iTunes, with custom animations available
23. plays all formats
24. unprotects protected AAC files
25. high-voltage taser-thing, like the phone in james bond (that, like the 5G ipod, is able to drive cars)
Quite frankly, most of these aren't going to happen in reality - but we can dream can't we :cool:

TBR
Nov 24, 2004, 06:08 AM
Nope - however, remember that Apple's aiming for the simplest approach. Keep in mind that the vast majority of computer users (Mac and PC users alike that haven't found these forums mostly :D ) don't know what the different hard drive formats are, so giving them a choice would just confuse them. Far better to hide the formatting options inside of the disk formatting utility, like Apple does now (on both Mac and Windows); people brave enough to enter a disk formatting utility had better know what they're doing.

I'm a mac user at home and the only machine I keep music on is a mac but I used the iPod software on the work PC to make my iPod a FAT 32 iPod. It's simply a case of plugging you iPod into a PC with iTunes installed and in about 1 min you have a FAT 32 iPod (empty)
This can then be used on both the Mac and PC as the mac can read fat 32 no problem.
So I have a PC iPod that is used almost exclusivly on mac's except for those emergencies that crop up where you need to transport huge files from pc -> pc or pc -> mac. Then I'm thankful I have a FAT 32 iPod.

There is nothing scary in the slightest about making your iPod FAT 32 except for the fact you will be wiping it clean, until you plug it back into your main music library

wrldwzrd89
Nov 24, 2004, 07:41 AM
I'm a mac user at home and the only machine I keep music on is a mac but I used the iPod software on the work PC to make my iPod a FAT 32 iPod. It's simply a case of plugging you iPod into a PC with iTunes installed and in about 1 min you have a FAT 32 iPod (empty)
This can then be used on both the Mac and PC as the mac can read fat 32 no problem.
So I have a PC iPod that is used almost exclusivly on mac's except for those emergencies that crop up where you need to transport huge files from pc -> pc or pc -> mac. Then I'm thankful I have a FAT 32 iPod.

There is nothing scary in the slightest about making your iPod FAT 32 except for the fact you will be wiping it clean, until you plug it back into your main music library
There's one downside with FAT32 though - it doesn't support files larger than 4GB. If you want to transfer something that big, you'll need to use another method. If you don't have any giant files though, I agree that it's a good solution for transferring files.

StealthRider
Nov 24, 2004, 12:23 PM
I'd like to see the EQ setting froms iTunes carry over to the iPod, instead of just being able to have one EQ setting for all songs.

Jo-Kun
Nov 24, 2004, 04:13 PM
about the formatting type

that's allready there -in a way- your iPod formats itself to HFS+ or FAT32 according to the first computer you hook it onto... remeber apple selling iPod for mac and iPod for PC seperately?? now they don't do that anymore and just let the iPod 'see' it when its hooked up for the first time... (well someone told me that after finding it out that his 3G was Fat32 and mine HFS+...)

gekko513
Nov 24, 2004, 04:35 PM
Cheaper
Longer battery life
Ogg support
Color choice, without a U2 lock in, on the 20-60GB models, or at least get rid of the grey click wheel.
No color screen on the regular iPod, since it would reduce battery life