Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Here's what I'd like to see in the 5G iPod:

- More capacity
- Ability to play files with a 96 KHz sample rate
- Support for 3 additional formats: HE-AAC, MP3PRO, and WMA

coconn06

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
King of Prussia, PA
wrldwzrd89 said:
Here's what I'd like to see in the 5G iPod:

- More capacity
- Ability to play files with a 96 KHz sample rate
- Support for 3 additional formats: HE-AAC, MP3PRO, and WMA

I'd like to see support for Ogg Vorbis. It's open and free, I don't understand why they wouldn't support it.

Although what I think is most important is longer battery life and less expensive. Those might not be possible, but are more useful than many of the "cool" features like downloadable games, etc.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
coconn06 said:
I'd like to see support for Ogg Vorbis. It's open and free, I don't understand why they wouldn't support it.

Although what I think is most important is longer battery life and less expensive. Those might not be possible, but are more useful than many of the "cool" features like downloadable games, etc.
You know what, while we're at it, why not include Monkeys Audio support too?

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
  • Color screen (please please please please? :))
  • Back to "all white," or at least get rid of the grey wheel
  • Smaller form factor
  • Aluminum enclosure (not going to happen, but you can hope)

xgsrpg

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2004
I'd love to see Sound Enhancer like in iTunes. When I plug in my headphones into my PowerBook and turn up Sound Enhancer all the way on iTunes, my tracks sound much better than on my 3G iPod (not that the iPod sucks, its just not as good as iTunes with Sound Enhancer).

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
What I'd like:
1. PDA features greatly improved. A To-Do list with categories (like playlists). The tasks show up on the calendar. The user can edit them, too, changing their date or marking them completed. User can even enter new items in a pinch, altho it is cumbersome.
2. Aluminum enclosure like a big mini, making it ruggeder.
3. No 'formatting as mac or pc'. Just one directory structure used by either version.
4. Software development kit allowing any developer to write programs to run on it.

Number 4 is especially important. The iPod is a closed, proprietary box with frustratingly limited characteristics. Basically, it's just a music player - for what it does today, it's far too expensive.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
cubist said:
What I'd like:
1. PDA features greatly improved. A To-Do list with categories (like playlists). The tasks show up on the calendar. The user can edit them, too, changing their date or marking them completed. User can even enter new items in a pinch, altho it is cumbersome.
3. No 'formatting as mac or pc'. Just one directory structure used by either version.
4. Software development kit allowing any developer to write programs to run on it.

Number 4 is especially important. The iPod is a closed, proprietary box with frustratingly limited characteristics. Basically, it's just a music player - for what it does today, it's far too expensive.
#1 will take some new software, but shouldn't be TOO hard.
#2 is just a hardware change - even simpler.
#3 is the tough one. How could Apple do this, yet still allow the iPod to be used as a hard drive on both platforms? I haven't the foggiest idea.
#4 is also challenging - it's harder than #1, but easier than #3. Apple must make some decisions on how to expose the APIs to programmers such that no trade secrets are revealed. I would support such a move.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
White iPods that have the scratch resistance of the minis
Video Out
Increased battery life
Tetris
iPod Desktop Picture capability
Wireless Out to my stereo
100GB's
Built In Voice Recording
DJ functions (pitch, tempo, etc.)

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
A white mini, but with all the cool stuff of the iPod Photo.

OH and Jon Ive's signature on the back like the U2 ones. ;)

veedubdrew

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I'd like to see a small light sensor on the face of the ipod that would automatically adjust backlight brightness like my PowerBook. I'd imagine that would save battery life quite a bit.

I'd like a flip-out headphone wraparound thingy like my PowerBook's AC adapter. I'm always getting my headphones all tangled up.

Better battery life never hurt either, so I'll take some of that in my 5G iPod. I'd also like to see the screen face to be ever so slightly recessed, like my iPod mini's is. I have yet to get a scratch on my mini's screen, despite the lack of a full protective case.

And while we're at it, I'll take a CF card reader in the full-size iPod for storing photos without an adapter.

-Drew

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR (optional bluetooth headphones)
Larger screen on the high end iPod photo (physically larger)
SD Card slot on iPod photo (or CF) and ability to play movies from cameras
And third party games and apps (I agree that there should be an SDK)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Jovian9 said:
iPod Desktop Picture capability

What do you mean by this? My best guess is including pictures on the iPod in the choices for desktop pictures, which needs to be done at the OS level, not in the iPod. That means that it could be implemented today, with a small Mac OS X update, with the existing iPod Photo we have now.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
wrldwzrd89 said:
What do you mean by this? My best guess is including pictures on the iPod in the choices for desktop pictures, which needs to be done at the OS level, not in the iPod. That means that it could be implemented today, with a small Mac OS X update, with the existing iPod Photo we have now.

Setting a picture behind your menu choices. They probably could do that now, but they have not.....so I'd like to see it implemented.

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
i only just got me a 4g at the weekend! but i guess that the things that would make it better would be:

better battery life (not that its bad at the mo though)
colour screen
wifi capabilities based on that patent that was recently applied for.
slightly smaller
scratch resistant

but i dont think that you'll get all of these! as for bluetooth headphones, well i'm not sure here i may be totally wrong but can bluetooth support stereo output at a high quality? i'm sure i read that most phone headsets are mono for calls and mp3 playback because bluetooths capabilities are limited. anyone know for sure?

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Touch screen LCD and hyperlinked items on the Now playing screen. When I shuffle all my songs I sometimes hit an artist/album that I'd like to switch to. If the artist name and album title should be hyperlinks so that I just click on them with my finger or stylus and it jumps there and continues playing from that artist or album.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Yeah, I would buy one in a second if I could edit with pda like features on my iCal, address book, to do list, etc.

cubist said:
What I'd like:

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
• more scratch resistant housing, like the mini
• 2.5" color touch screen display
• 100GB storage
• AAC+ support
• 3.2 megapixel digital camera with 3x optical/4x digital zoom and a flash
• voice recorder
• FM
• video out
• PDA functionality/stylus
• cell phone functionality
• 24 hour battery life
• BT
• WiFi
• AE remote functionality
• wireless FW transfers
• fold my sons laundry (any idea how many pieces of kids clothing can fit in one load of wash?)
• $199 price point
• size/thickness of three stacked credit cards
• headphones with a retractable cord that won't tangle
• caloric burn count
• heart rate monitor
• 7-in-1 card reader built-in

that's all for now
:p :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.