PDA

View Full Version : Apple Workgroup Server 80

andypress
Nov 21, 2004, 01:01 PM
I know its probaly from a time before this site was ever conceived, but, I was wondering if this server would be capable of serving a small bussiness of about four people on wintel machines. They would be using it to back up Microsoft office files. If so, what software would I need, and what upgrades would be needed. The machine has an unknown backup drive, and has original hard drive and (i think)32mb of memory.

MoparShaha
Nov 21, 2004, 01:42 PM
I don't think you want to try with this machine. It's got a 33 MHz processor, not to mention I doubt it can support SMB, which you'll need to allow Windows to connect. Of course, you could always try to install Linux, which would allow SMB, but it would be a pain. If cost is an issue, pick up a PC on eBay for $50-$60, something in the neighborhood of 200-300 MHz. This will be a much better solution, as it will natively support SMB, and will actually be able to handle the workload.

andypress
Nov 21, 2004, 02:10 PM
I know that at my middle school they had a few of these for the whole school (1000+)up until a few years ago. What if I found an old version of AppleShare?

saabmp3
Nov 21, 2004, 02:18 PM
Why back up and store data on a server which has a higher chance of dying when compared to the machines that are using it? Nobody in their right mind would spend a minute of their time working on that. Just use network drives on the PC's, it's better in all aspects.

BEN

CanadaRAM
Nov 21, 2004, 03:47 PM
The Appleshare versions that can run on this machine have some specific incompatibilities with any Windows more recent than 98. And there is a 2 Gb limit on volume sizes. And the machine is old and liable to fail without notice. And it is 10BaseT ethernet, not 100BaseT. You are asking for a bucket of grief.

Price out a network attached storage device like a Buffalo Linkstation http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=36&categoryid=16, or similar products from IOGear, Linksys and Tritton http://www.trittontechnologies.com/products/TRINAS080.html. For $200 or a bit more you will have a tiny file server, plug and play, p'raps shared USB printer support, with a much larger hard drive than the WGS 80 can handle, tech support, less noise and power consumption by far, and a fresh new warranty.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

andypress
Nov 21, 2004, 04:53 PM
I was thinking about nas's, but I'd rather have a computer that; theres just more that you can do with it. The problem is it has to be a name brand computer, otherwise the tech guy won't work on it(don't ask). I was just hoping that there was some life left in this thing.

cluthz
Nov 21, 2004, 05:25 PM
I was thinking about nas's, but I'd rather have a computer that; theres just more that you can do with it. The problem is it has to be a name brand computer, otherwise the tech guy won't work on it(don't ask). I was just hoping that there was some life left in this thing.

As a server for modern machines, no.
You can still use it for a desktop.
It was introduced in 1993 and discontiniued in 1994.

andypress
Nov 21, 2004, 05:28 PM
I'm quite familiar with the history of early powermacs and powerpc's-I'm guessing that a WGS 6150 wouldn't fare much better?

Mechcozmo
Nov 21, 2004, 06:56 PM
I'm quite familiar with the history of early powermacs and powerpc's-I'm guessing that a WGS 6150 wouldn't fare much better?

Look around here...
Linkety (http://www.everymac.com)

cluthz
Nov 22, 2004, 06:55 AM

Yes it would. The WGS 6150 can run upto OS 9.0 and then you can get a newer appleshare.