PDA

View Full Version : Firewire 800 port not mounting hard drive

rideahyperLite
Nov 21, 2004, 03:14 PM
Ok a long time ago I bought a LaCie 200gb firewire 800/400/usb 2 external hard drive. it worked fine when i connected it to my firewire 800 or 400 port. When I updated to panther my hard drive stopped working. I tried everything and nothing seemed to work. About 6 months later i decided to give it another try and i hooked it up using my firewire 400 port. it mounted fine and i can access all of my old data that i thougth was lost. i ran diskwarrior and i rebuilt the whole drive. so now everything works fine except i cant use the drive with my firewire 800 port. when i try it doesnt mount and when i check the firewire status is system profiler it says "no information found". this is frustrating because i bought this a long time ago and i paid a lot extra for the firewire 800 which now doesnt work. i realize that its possible that my firewire 800 port is broken or the firewire 800 cable is broken, unfortunetely i dont have any other drives or cables to check this by. is there an updated diver that i need? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

mamos
Nov 30, 2004, 04:05 PM
I too have seen this. When I plugin my disk the icons for the volumes on the desktop and in finder are wrong (sometimes a folder sometimes a disk sometimes a blank page). The fat mount works but has the wrong icon and the more substantial hfs partion is not shown in finder or the desktop but has an alias in /Volumes that points to MYMACHINE:Mac Files but which doesn't work. The disk is verified by disk utility but claims it has 0 files and has used 0 space. theres about 150GB on there! I don't know much about how the mac mounts volumes being only a convert about a year ago this is my first problem with a mac and it is very dissapointing. If someone could point me to some information about how the mounting process works for a firewire disk and what determines the icon for the volume I could check to see if there is a corruption problem resulting from a "friend" pulling the cable out (fortunately not while accessing the disk but still causing a Device Removal warning). Any help will be appreciated

wrldwzrd89
Nov 30, 2004, 04:46 PM
I too have seen this. When I plugin my disk the icons for the volumes on the desktop and in finder are wrong (sometimes a folder sometimes a disk sometimes a blank page). The fat mount works but has the wrong icon and the more substantial hfs partion is not shown in finder or the desktop but has an alias in /Volumes that points to MYMACHINE:Mac Files but which doesn't work. The disk is verified by disk utility but claims it has 0 files and has used 0 space. theres about 150GB on there! I don't know much about how the mac mounts volumes being only a convert about a year ago this is my first problem with a mac and it is very dissapointing. If someone could point me to some information about how the mounting process works for a firewire disk and what determines the icon for the volume I could check to see if there is a corruption problem resulting from a "friend" pulling the cable out (fortunately not while accessing the disk but still causing a Device Removal warning). Any help will be appreciated
Sounds to me like the infamous FireWire 800 bug in Panther has struck again! I don't know of any workarounds.

mamos
Jan 8, 2005, 07:30 AM
I was correct when i suggested my problem was due to corrupt mounting data kept by mac os. I discovered this, not by finding the files and de;eting them as i intended but because i accidentaly left my powerbook without power for too long and so it shutdown, on restart everything works again. very windowsesque fix :0).

on the downside i think this means i might have had a different problem to you others