PDA

View Full Version : Question about new G5

Nejja Halcyon
Nov 23, 2004, 10:45 PM
Hi,

Our families new G5 just came yesterday...one month late. Anyways, it was custom built, with 2 big HDs in, 1 with Panther installed, the other Mac formatted, but blank.

The question is: Do I need to install Panther on the second drive to use it as a scratch disk for iMovie and FCP? It didn't seem to want to let me select the 'Untitled HD' in FCP.

Thanks

Nejja Halcyon

jsw
Nov 23, 2004, 11:21 PM
I can't speak for FCP, since I don't own it, but iMovie will write to a disk without Panther (or any OS) installed on it. I'm amazed that you had issues with FCP - although I'd expect you to not be able to install it on a non-boot disk, I'd think you could use any disk as scratch space.

Phat_Pat
Nov 24, 2004, 12:30 AM
make a folder in the hard Drive. Then under System in FCP set that folder as scratch disc. That should work.

Also run Software update; get the newest version... i think the newest is 4.5. It might help solve the problem. :cool:

Nejja Halcyon
Nov 24, 2004, 12:35 AM
I always run Software Update. So that's not the problem. I think iMovie will work with the HD, and I'll test w/ FCP.

Thanks for your help

Nejja Hlacyon

Nejja Halcyon
Nov 26, 2004, 06:57 PM
Well, our 300 gig FW drive is full....Can anyone answer my original question, because neither iMovie or FCP will let me save on the second internal HD.

Nejja Halcyon

daveL
Nov 26, 2004, 07:11 PM
Well, our 300 gig FW drive is full....Can anyone answer my original question, because neither iMovie or FCP will let me save on the second internal HD.

Nejja Halcyon
I have my 2 drives set up as a RAID 0 volume, so the OS looks at it as one logical drive. You get better disk performance this way. You may want to give it a try. The RAID software in built into the OS, btw.

toontra
Nov 27, 2004, 04:02 AM

Nejja Halcyon

What happens in FCP when you go to System Settings > Scratch Discs and press the Set button? Are you saying that your second hard drive doesn't show up here?