PDA

View Full Version : Is the Superdrive a dual layer burner?

greggaway
Nov 24, 2004, 08:36 PM
Hi,

Just wondering if it is. I am about to get a G5 and I'd rather get a combo drive and put a more performant DVD burner in there.

Thanks for your feedback

Gregory

daveL
Nov 24, 2004, 08:56 PM
Hi,

Just wondering if it is. I am about to get a G5 and I'd rather get a combo drive and put a more performant DVD burner in there.

Thanks for your feedback

Gregory
No, not currently. I have a new PM and a new iMac, neither are DL.

kiwi-in-uk
Nov 24, 2004, 08:57 PM
Have a look on the Apple Australia site here (http://www.apple.com.au/) ... it should tell you.

I'm surprised you didn't look there first ... :rolleyes:

greggaway
Nov 24, 2004, 10:06 PM
Have a look on the Apple Australia site here ... it should tell you.

Thanks for your feedback.

I had a look on the australian website before hand but I just wanted to make sure.

;)

maya
Nov 24, 2004, 10:39 PM
The Super Drive that Apple uses is not ADVERTISED as a dual layer drive. However from what I understand it takes a firmware update to make a DVD +/- dual format drive to make it a dual layer drive.

The dual layer drives are not hard to make, its the dual layer discs that are a challenge.

JesterJJZ
Nov 24, 2004, 10:58 PM
The Super Drive that Apple uses is not ADVERTISED as a dual layer drive. However from what I understand it takes a firmware update to make a DVD +/- dual format drive to make it a dual layer drive.

The dual layer drives are not hard to make, its the dual layer discs that are a challenge.

I don't think a firmware update could make a regular drive a DL drive. It's a different laser unit. The laser needs to be able to burn at different tempertures.

maya
Nov 24, 2004, 11:17 PM
I don't think a firmware update could make a regular drive a DL drive. It's a different laser unit. The laser needs to be able to burn at different tempertures.

i read this in a few articles, in regards to single and dual layer. All that is needed is a firmware update since the drive is the same the firmware only allow for additional control over the laser head and temperature.

Google it, I you choose. :)

It also makes mention that dual layer discs are harder than expected to produce.

note: it has to be a DVD +/- capable drive for this to happen. :)

daveL
Nov 25, 2004, 12:32 PM
I think you are referring to some speculation on hardmac about a reported DVR-117 drive in some new G5 PMs. They thought it might be a crippled DVR-108 drive. This was never confirmed, and nobody has gotten any PM drive to do DL after a firmware update, at least not that I've seen reported.

Also, I'm not sure about your reference to DVD -/+, since the current DL media is DVD9+ only. The DVD9- format won't be available until early next year; it doesn't exist, yet.

I have a PM G5 2x2.5 GHz that I got in mid-September. It has a DVR-107D in it. It is not DL.

Veldek
Nov 25, 2004, 01:50 PM
I think you are referring to some speculation on hardmac about a reported DVR-117 drive in some new G5 PMs. They thought it might be a crippled DVR-108 drive. This was never confirmed, and nobody has gotten any PM drive to do DL after a firmware update, at least not that I've seen reported.

At least, they're still working on it:

http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2004-11-24#3276

Zeke
Nov 25, 2004, 02:39 PM
Just buy a DVR-108 for $75 and put it in yourself for less than the SD costs.

Mechcozmo
Nov 25, 2004, 02:55 PM
Just buy a DVR-108 for $75 and put it in yourself for less than the SD costs.

Won't that void your warranty? Airport and RAM I thought were the only "user-upgradable" things you could do w/o zapping your warranty...

johnnyjibbs
Nov 25, 2004, 02:58 PM
To answer the other part of the question, you can swap out the SuperDrive for a Combo as one of the BTO options on the Apple online store, to save some cash for a dual layer burner if you so wish.

Veldek
Nov 25, 2004, 03:12 PM
Won't that void your warranty? Airport and RAM I thought were the only "user-upgradable" things you could do w/o zapping your warranty...

Not in a PowerMac...

apple2991
Nov 25, 2004, 03:17 PM
So, if I'm getting this straight: the current SuperDrives have +/- burning capabilities, but only single layer?

Also, as kind of new to DVD authoring, which is more compatible with more (United States region) DVD players, + or -?

mklos
Nov 25, 2004, 04:12 PM
DVD-R is most common and the most compatible in the US.

redAPPLE
Nov 25, 2004, 04:23 PM
maybe it is just me... i am quite confused. sorry for this...

if i install a dual layer drive in my dual 2.0, any idea if it would work?

mklos
Nov 25, 2004, 04:30 PM
You could probably install it and it would work, but not with iDVD.

maxvamp
Nov 25, 2004, 05:47 PM
'Bout a month ago, I was in the local CompUSA, and notice that the PM that was on the sales floor had a Pioneer DVR-A08 ( DL drive ). I would suggest looking at the drive in the machine you buy to see if it one of these drives. Worse case scenario, you could buy a Pioneer Superdrive, and put it in an external FireWire case. I did this for an old G4, and it works great.

On the notion that a firmware upgrade for Superdrives being impossible, I suggest that more research be done before making such comments. SONY, LG, and NEC have all been able to upgrade older drives to DL with a simple firmware patch. The Laser units are the same.

For more information on the formats, search the Rumor's boards. This topic has covered many, many times.

Max.

musicpyrite
Nov 25, 2004, 05:57 PM
You could probably install it and it would work, but not with iDVD.

There is an easer egg that will allow you to use any (internal, FW, USB) DVD burner with iDVD, just google 'idvd easer egg' and you'll find a wealth of information.

mklos
Nov 25, 2004, 06:10 PM
There is an easer egg that will allow you to use any (internal, FW, USB) DVD burner with iDVD, just google 'idvd easer egg' and you'll find a wealth of information.

Which isn't absolutely guaranteed to work on all drives.

Zeke
Nov 25, 2004, 09:40 PM
Which isn't absolutely guaranteed to work on all drives.

Patchburn is a program designed to incorporate internal drives for iLife apps.

http://www.patchburn.de/

maya
Nov 25, 2004, 10:02 PM
DVD-R is most common and the most compatible in the US.

Contrary to what others say if you have movie content burned to a DVD+ disc it will play fine in ANY, US or other stand alone DVD player, as long as you have the region code right and the PAL, NTSC issues.

DVD+ will work in most DVD stand alone players some very early DVD players might have a minor issue however that was years ago when DVD stand alone players cost over 2000 USD ( I am pretty sure you do not own one of these).

DVD- is the same as the above description.

DVD+ Dual Layer will also play in a stand alone DVD player, however same as above there could be minor problems with older players.

DVD manufacturers might try to sell and make more money to make the average home movie users to buy "a compliant DVD stand alone player" however it is not needed.

Dual-Layer writer hardware is easy to make its the optical DVD discs that are tricky and hard until it matures.

DVD + and DVD - are just two writing formats there are BOTH compatible on DVD stand alone players.

jared_kipe
Nov 25, 2004, 10:11 PM

Does he mean, easter egg? Or really easer?

maya
Nov 25, 2004, 10:31 PM
Does he mean, easter egg? Or really easer?

He meant "EASTER EGG". :)

And if it is a well know brand it most likely will be included in the Easter Egg. :)

Sony
Plextor
etc...etc....etc...