PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Monitor ?

bigdz68
Nov 26, 2004, 05:35 AM
Hi,
Im currently running a Powermac dual 2.5 with a 23" apple HD Display and a 17" Samsung monitor and also the new NVidia 6800 Ultra graphix card. I would like to hook up a 3rd monitor but how would I go about doing this?? I found this item thru google but couldnt find any other information...anyone have this setup? Is it possible? Heres the item I found but figured there must be an easier way!
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2077

Two monitors work great so far but I plan on upgrading to 2 more 23" displays down the road...but for now would love to add another 17" or 19" for extra real estate. Thanks

edesignuk
Nov 26, 2004, 05:49 AM
Easiest way is to try and find a PCI video card with a DVI port, pop that in there, and you're good to go.

Palad1
Nov 26, 2004, 06:49 AM
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2077

No that won't cut it, this device clones the output from one monitor on four different monitors.

What you need is another graphics card with DVI out, and pluggable on a pci-X port.

Good luck!

MacsRgr8
Nov 26, 2004, 07:34 AM
Best bet will be an ATi Radeon 9200 PCI (http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9200/radeon9200me/index.html) grfx card.

128 MB VRAM, TV-out, VGA and DVI.

I have one in a B&W G3.
:)

Palad1
Nov 26, 2004, 08:16 AM
Best bet will be an ATi Radeon 9200 PCI (http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9200/radeon9200me/index.html) grfx card.

128 MB VRAM, TV-out, VGA and DVI.

I have one in a B&W G3.
:)

Is it powerfull enough to drive a 23''?

edesignuk
Nov 26, 2004, 08:41 AM
Is it powerfull enough to drive a 23''?
Yes. (http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9200/radeon9200me/specs.html)

bigdz68
Nov 26, 2004, 08:40 PM
OK....So I have the baseline video card that came with the Dual 2.5Ghz which is the ATI Radeon 9600 XT I believe...can that be added in since the NVidia is taking up two slots? Sorry if this is a dumb ? but I just need to make sure! Im assuming I just pop that in above the Nvidia card and run two graphix cards then? Just want to make sure. Thanks in advance. The only thing occupying these ports is the NVidia 6800 card anyways...what the hell else would I put in there! :D

wrldwzrd89
Nov 26, 2004, 08:45 PM
OK....So I have the baseline video card that came with the Dual 2.5Ghz which is the ATI Radeon 9600 XT I believe...can that be added in since the NVidia is taking up two slots? Sorry if this is a dumb ? but I just need to make sure! Im assuming I just pop that in above the Nvidia card and run two graphix cards then? Just want to make sure. Thanks in advance. The only thing occupying these ports is the NVidia 6800 card anyways...what the hell else would I put in there! :D
If nothing else is in the two unblocked PCI-X slots, then yes, you could throw that extra Radeon in there. Unfortunately, for your situation, that won't work, since you have 2 AGP graphics cards and 0 free AGP slots.

MacsRgr8
Nov 27, 2004, 03:25 AM

You can't put the 9600 XT in there. That card needs the AGP slot, which the nVidia is using. You must use a PCI grfx card.

bigdz68
Nov 27, 2004, 04:49 AM
You can't put the 9600 XT in there. That card needs the AGP slot, which the nVidia is using. You must use a PCI grfx card.
OK so that card needs to go in an AGP slot which is being used. So I assume the best PCI card out there is this one:
Radeon 9200 Mac Edition

So technically if I buy this card and add it to the system I could run 4 monitors all as expanded real estate (not mirrored) if I wanted right? So if I head out and buy this, would the Mac recognize it and expand the monitors or would there be any tweaking on my end? 2nd thing is does anyone have one for sale or know a cheap place to purchase one at? Thanks again for all the help!

MacsRgr8
Nov 28, 2004, 03:50 AM
OK so that card needs to go in an AGP slot which is being used. So I assume the best PCI card out there is this one:
Radeon 9200 Mac Edition

So technically if I buy this card and add it to the system I could run 4 monitors all as expanded real estate (not mirrored) if I wanted right? So if I head out and buy this, would the Mac recognize it and expand the monitors or would there be any tweaking on my end? 2nd thing is does anyone have one for sale or know a cheap place to purchase one at? Thanks again for all the help!

I think you can run 4 monitors. The grfx cards will be able to, but I am not sure what Mac OS X supports.
Anyone else tried 4 monitors?
The Radeon 9200 is not an expensive card ($ 129,-) and it is available at the AppleStore.

BTW..... I wonder how XPlane will look like on 4 monitors..... (4 x 23 inch) < drool > ! :)

:cool:

bigdz68
Nov 28, 2004, 07:19 AM
I think you can run 4 monitors. The grfx cards will be able to, but I am not sure what Mac OS X supports.
Anyone else tried 4 monitors?
The Radeon 9200 is not an expensive card ($ 129,-) and it is available at the AppleStore.

BTW..... I wonder how XPlane will look like on 4 monitors..... (4 x 23 inch) < drool > ! :)

:cool:
Thank you for the info. Im just plannin on 3 monitors at the moment. One 23" HD Cinema, One Samsung 19" and one Samsung 17". But next year I will try and add another Apple Display. Im droolin just thinking about it!