PDA

View Full Version : Can a bluetooth PDA work as a Airtunes remote?

marknicholls
Nov 26, 2004, 07:48 AM
If i was to buy a PDA with bluetooth, can i use it as a remote control for aittunes? if so, what software would be needed? this would be amazing......much better than having to go to a different room to change tracks

Many Thanks

Applespider
Nov 26, 2004, 08:12 AM
If you have a Bluetooth phone you can do it already, particularly with the Sony Ericsson k and s700s

Have a look at Sailing Clicker (full version and basic free one)
http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/

to check which version would be most useful and is compatible with the PDA/phone you are thinking of.

marknicholls
Nov 26, 2004, 03:28 PM
I have just used it and its very good but i have a slight problem.....i have never always used my phone only a foot away from my powerbook so have never had a problem, but when i moved into the lounge (i want to be able to get a set of speakers in the lounge with airtunes) and the laptop is only 5 feet away from the lounge.....and it just wont connect! H

Is the range really that bad on bluetooth|??

Thanks

marknicholls
Nov 27, 2004, 02:14 PM
Hey

I dont seem to be getting an feedback!!! Is there anyone that can help??

I have just been testing it, and its really odd, Bluetooth stays connected when im in the spare bed room about 8 15 feet away.....but wont work when i am in the lounge only 5 feet away....and i want it working in the lounge!

I thought there may be something to do with interference, so i unplugged my router and cordless phone, but it still disconnects at about 5 feet in the lounge, but works in the bedroom 15 feet away.....how can this be??

Is there a PDA with wifi that would work as a remote control? Thanks

timnosenzo
Nov 27, 2004, 04:00 PM
Hey

I dont seem to be getting an feedback!!! Is there anyone that can help??

Apparently, no.

Only a guess, maybe there's a lot of plumbing or something running through the wall you're trying to get a signal through.

rendezvouscp
Nov 27, 2004, 04:18 PM
Bluetooth isn't that bad, it's just interference. I know I can use my Apple Wireless Keyboard in my backyard when I move away from the water heater and plumbing, so something must be in the way.
-Chase

Mord
Nov 27, 2004, 05:02 PM
my usb bluetooth dongle covers my whole house and garden i can use my mac from my garden with some binoculars and 1024x768 res on a 23" screen.

marknicholls
Nov 27, 2004, 08:29 PM
Is there a PDA with wifi that would work as a remote control? Similar to the way a PDA or phone with bluetooth works? with wifi the distance would be much better