PDA

View Full Version : Motorola Razr V3 review

Koodauw
Nov 26, 2004, 05:58 PM
Well, I saw the V3 the other day, and I had to have it. So I figured when better to buy it then on black friday, the busiest day of the year. The Cingular Store I got it from wasn't busy at all, so I was happy.

I just got off of work, and havn't had time to really play with it yet. But these are my initial thoughts on it. Ill post more indepth once I get a chance.

First off, I love the form factor. Its a bit wider than you might expect, but very thin and light. The screen on it is awesome, and very large. ( the 30 cinema display of cellphones if you will. ok maybe not but its darn close.) It seems like navigation is much easier on the large screen.

The external screen seems pretty pointless. I Guess pictures pop up of people if you have apictured assigned to their number. Kinda cool I guess.
The keybad is really neat with a blue backlight. THe bottons are similar to the click wheel on the ipod, they move, but not much. It also uses this mini mini usb type port to charge. Not compatible with all the other Motorola phone charges. The guy at the store told me it was. :(

It is thicker at the bottom as you can see in the ads for it, similar to the iMac G5. It seems to be made out of Aluminium like the V600 is.

Sound and voice quality is good, as with other Motorola Phones on the GSM networks. GSM provides the best quality service IMO, but it can be taken as fact too, its that darn good.

So far the phone doesnt have any new features over my V600, other AIM mobile built in. You definitly are paying a premium for the style factor.

If anyone else has got, I would love to hear what you think as well. If you got questions feel free to post'em and ill do my best to answer them. I can take pics too if ya want too.

Anyways, hopes this helps someone out there.

cheekyspanky
Nov 26, 2004, 08:13 PM
I got my V3 just over a month and a half ago now, I find it on a par with my SonyEricsson T610 in terms of sound quality - although if you ever need to turn the volume up when someone is chatting to you, on the highest level it sounds like its almost breaking up, although this isn't really a problem as that volume level is much louder than I'd normally use!

The only other negatives I would say are, the buzzing sound that the keypad makes when the light comes on (or is this just my one that does this?!) and there are buttons on the flip section (the screen part) but when you are talking on the phone these are fairly awkward to press and if you pushed too hard it seems like you could damage the flip mechanism etc.

And as the phone is so thin, it's really noticable that the upper flip section doesn't sit perfectly flush when it's closed, theres more of a gap on the left hand side on mine - which while very minimal is still frustrating!

Other than thats it's pretty good, fairly standard, quite cheap on contract in the UK - mine was £49.99 with O2.

Fender
Nov 27, 2004, 12:38 AM
If only it worked with the Salling Clicker...

upperblue79
Nov 27, 2004, 01:45 AM
So does this phone not have the itunes (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/07/20040726213823.shtml) built in to it. And I was also hoping with the larger screen that maybe they had built in support to surf the web, but I guess that would be kinda hard on a cell phone. I went to cingular and looked at this phone, but it appeared alot wider than I thought it should be. I was really hyped about this phone, but after seeing it I decided to stick with my v400.

FelixDerKater
Nov 27, 2004, 08:21 AM
I wish Motorola would take a cue from SonyEricsson when it comes to menu design.

asif786
Nov 27, 2004, 10:27 AM
If only it worked with the Salling Clicker...

Exactly. That is the one thing stopping me from buying this phone. Hopefully within 12-18 months (my normal upgrade cycle) the iTunes phone will be out, and hopefully it will have the same cool aesthetics as this one :D

jared_kipe
Nov 27, 2004, 12:53 PM
This phone kind of reminds me of a tricorder from star trek. Not big and bulky, but futuristic looking.

mpw
Nov 27, 2004, 05:50 PM
I was really interested in this phone when it was first released but when I saw the final spec. and saw the phone the first time in the flesh I kinda went off it.

Feature-wise it doesn't seem to be anything special. That wouldn't matter because of the styling except the one I saw had been on display for maybe 3days and the alloy body was badly warped. I know the display units get a hammering buy the public but 2days in a pretty quiet store had left it badly scared. Also I thought the keypad would be a weak point. It seemed to be good in use but I felt the cut metal design relied on the flexing of the metal which I assume would diminish over time?

I'll be sticking with my SE T630 until I can get a XDAIIi (or Apple Phone)

dongmin
Nov 27, 2004, 06:22 PM
So the big question: Is it compatible with my Mac? I.e. does it sync with addressbook/calendar via bluetooth? And can I download and upload images and sounds?

asif786
Nov 28, 2004, 06:22 AM
So the big question: Is it compatible with my Mac? I.e. does it sync with addressbook/calendar via bluetooth? And can I download and upload images and sounds?

Well, sorta..

You can upload/download images and ringtones from the phone using bluetooth, but if you want to use iSync then you need to use the provided USB cable.

a bit of a bummer I know.. :( - sorta goes against my no-wires-to-be-seen-anywhere theme for my iMac.

/asif

mkrishnan
Nov 28, 2004, 07:47 AM
Well, sorta..

You can upload/download images and ringtones from the phone using bluetooth, but if you want to use iSync then you need to use the provided USB cable.

a bit of a bummer I know.. :( - sorta goes against my no-wires-to-be-seen-anywhere theme for my iMac.

/asif

Wonder if this is a software disable.... Is this true of all Moto bluetooth phones? I'm kinda thinking vaguely about an A630... I'd like this one, but I don't think I'm ready to justify the price, and I really want QWERTY. The review at C|Net says something about buying a Motorolla app to allow for syncing with outlook.

This whole business of crippleware Bluetooth is really getting on my nerves. Suddenly every phone I want is a downgrade from my Nokia from almost two years ago in terms of functionality (albeit not size, and not necessarily style :o )

nbs2
Nov 29, 2004, 09:57 AM
Wonder if this is a software disable.... Is this true of all Moto bluetooth phones?

I think it might be the case. I was considering getting the v710 with verizon, but am probably going switch to cingular and get the SE t637. i figure i'll get a better phone and better service by switching. as an aside, does anybody from the dc/baltimore area have experience with both carriers, with a preference for one or the other?

MacShep
Dec 20, 2004, 06:28 PM
Well, sorta..

/asif

so tell me... how does it work with the USB? I received this phone on the weekend as a free upgrade and had been quite excited about getting it. It was larger than I expected and not the best in size for me being as I am used to my Samsung E700. I wanted bluetooth to sync with my Mac.

However every time I tried to send images or tones it didn;t work and when i attempted with my USB it just started charging the phone.... Hmmm... I know I have a lot to learn with my Mac being as i am still less than a year on it - but I have not had any problems working stuff out so far... where am I going wrong?

I'm about to send it back and ask for the Samsung D500 or Panasonic X700 due out in Jan over here (UK). I have mailed both companies for info but heard nothing yet. I searched the Apple site and found a list of phones compatible with bluetooth. No panasonics on the list despite the fact I know my friend is able to use hers and sync...

help anyone? :( :confused:

Koodauw
Dec 20, 2004, 10:01 PM
so tell me... how does it work with the USB? I received this phone on the weekend as a free upgrade and had been quite excited about getting it. It was larger than I expected and not the best in size for me being as I am used to my Samsung E700. I wanted bluetooth to sync with my Mac.

However every time I tried to send images or tones it didn;t work and when i attempted with my USB it just started charging the phone.... Hmmm... I know I have a lot to learn with my Mac being as i am still less than a year on it - but I have not had any problems working stuff out so far... where am I going wrong?

I'm about to send it back and ask for the Samsung D500 or Panasonic X700 due out in Jan over here (UK). I have mailed both companies for info but heard nothing yet. I searched the Apple site and found a list of phones compatible with bluetooth. No panasonics on the list despite the fact I know my friend is able to use hers and sync...

help anyone? :( :confused:

what kind of mac do you have? I have a PB and I use the Bluetooth to send the files. It works just fine. I dont have the USB cable for it, so I can't help you there.

Powerbook G5
Dec 21, 2004, 12:44 AM
I played around with the phone in the Cingular store here and the guy there let me play with a real working model but I wasn't impressed at all. The sound quality was pretty bad compared to my Nokia and it has less features. It also isn't fully compatible with Apple computers and the slim form factor means you have to be extra careful...the guy had a minor heart attack when I was playing with it and twisted the screen just a bit and nearly broke the phone. For such an expensive phone, I'd want something that feels more well built and up to the task of being used on a daily basis, but it's more like that one good watch you have that is too good to wear every day in fear of putting a nasty scratch in it because it's too expensive to risk.

morgoth29
Dec 21, 2004, 04:32 AM
Hi,

I bought a v3 in the UK. The phone's looks are flawless, but I don't really rate the phone, and heres why.

1) Looks are nice, but the inside and outside screens quickly get covered
in greasy prints from the skin - looks lovely for a few days, then not any more. I spent a lot of time cleaning it off compulsively. Or maybe I'm a grubby little tyke - you decide :)

2) Software little better than v600 - I moved from a v500, and frankly the only difference was the video compatiblity

3) not enough memory onboard, no media card.

I'm not trying to convince anyone not to buy it - its gorgeous, but don't expect too much from it.

MacShep
Dec 21, 2004, 08:03 AM
what kind of mac do you have? I have a PB and I use the Bluetooth to send the files. It works just fine. I dont have the USB cable for it, so I can't help you there.

I have a G4 PB. And I was trying to run it through the bluetooth but kept gettin a message abouyt some sort of interruptio and couldn't sync it with my address book...?

I think maybe I am just hopeless and missing something very basic here... any clues? :confused:

Koodauw
Dec 21, 2004, 09:45 AM
I have a G4 PB. And I was trying to run it through the bluetooth but kept gettin a message abouyt some sort of interruptio and couldn't sync it with my address book...?

I think maybe I am just hopeless and missing something very basic here... any clues? :confused:

Well I dont know if your able to sync your address book, but you can send pictures/ ringtones by going to the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar, and selecting "send file." That way you can get ringtones at least.

jaseone
Dec 21, 2004, 01:06 PM
Other than thats it's pretty good, fairly standard, quite cheap on contract in the UK - mine was £49.99 with O2.

Damn... Over here in the USA, Cingular has it on a 2 year contract for US$499!!!!! Without the contract it is $599! Do they really expect to sell many of them at that price even with all the advertising they are pumping into it?

I quite liked the phone based upon the promotional material but seeing it up close & personal it ended up being way too wide, like what are you actually supposed to do with it to carry it around? I wouldn't be wanting to put something so wide and thin in my pants pocket that would just be asking for it to be broken.

Koodauw
Dec 21, 2004, 02:05 PM
Damn... Over here in the USA, Cingular has it on a 2 year contract for US$499!!!!! Without the contract it is $599! Do they really expect to sell many of them at that price even with all the advertising they are pumping into it?

I quite liked the phone based upon the promotional material but seeing it up close & personal it ended up being way too wide, like what are you actually supposed to do with it to carry it around? I wouldn't be wanting to put something so wide and thin in my pants pocket that would just be asking for it to be broken.

One, its a high end phone. with emphisis on style. No they dont expect for it to be a best seller.

two, yes you are supposed to carry it your pocket. Where else do you carry a cellphone?

three, how is putting it in your pocket asking to be broken? Do you bang you leg up against brick walls all the time? Regularly slap you hand against you thigh? its simple, just be careful.

Powerbook G5
Dec 21, 2004, 02:09 PM
It's pretty easy to bang your phone into something while it's in your pocket. Just stick your $450 phone in there for a day and see how much you end up bumping into things that you normally don't notice when you don't have something valuable in there.

jaseone
Dec 21, 2004, 02:32 PM
One, its a high end phone. with emphisis on style. No they dont expect for it to be a best seller.

Well why pump advertising $$$ into it then? What exactly is high end about it except that it looks quite stylish? The specs seem pretty standard to me.

two, yes you are supposed to carry it your pocket. Where else do you carry a cellphone?

three, how is putting it in your pocket asking to be broken? Do you bang you leg up against brick walls all the time? Regularly slap you hand against you thigh? its simple, just be careful.

Okay well place it in your back pocket then sit down... Although I keep my phone in one of my front pockets and whether I'm wearing business pants or jeans or whatever when I sit down especially when at a desk then something the form factor of the RAZR is going to get flexed and quite quickly break given the way such things tend to sit in pockets.

cheekyspanky
Dec 21, 2004, 06:41 PM
Good news for those of you concerned about the V3's durability..today I rather carelessly dropped mine down about 10 steps..and the phone hasn't even got a scratch on it. I try and keep my phones in good condition, but as I'm only going to be using it for a year it's not too bad if it gets a bit broken over time - as long as I can still make calls!

It's always worth haggling for the price with mobiles I find, after going around The Link, Phones4U, Orange, Vodafone and Orange and comparing deals and prices. I went in O2 and told the guy serving me this, and if they wanted my custom they needed to drop the price - after asking the manager I got the price knocked down from £100 to £50. Not too bad eh! I think over here it's fallen in price a little since I bought mine - it's now something like £445 sim free here.

HenMaster6000
Dec 25, 2004, 03:22 PM
nice phone, but really expensive. How much did you guys pay for it?

skippyTBK
Dec 30, 2004, 02:58 AM
first off, the v3 works (well it did for me rather) flawwlessly with isync, my computer doesnt have bluetooth :( but i did have a mini USB cable and plugged it in, booted up isync and it found the v3 and synced it all up. i couldnt be happier, especially when my "friend" told me it wouldnt work. i love the design and the features of the phone, also i bought it for $399 with a 50 dollar rebate to make the phone $349 from wirefly.com :) but i am sure the phone will continue to come down in price.

KevRC4130
Dec 30, 2004, 09:27 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't even like the form or style of the phone? That bumper on the bottom looks rediculous, and I personally don't WANT it to be that thin. It is like talking to a credit card, it is just not comfortable nor easy to hold. I just got a Siemens S66 from Cingular, it is a great phone, albeit a bit buggy. Future firmware updates should fix that, and the camera is great (daytime anyways, wonderful outside, decent inside). All for $249 ($199 after mail in rebate) from Cingular.

http://webmobile.free.fr/S65_02.jpg

Here is an outdoor picture from the S66, taken on High quality, which is sort of midrange, you can get to 1.3 Megapixel:

http://img61.exs.cx/img61/9249/0412281304354ji.jpg

Here is an indoor picture:

http://img53.exs.cx/img53/7492/0412301023512om.jpg

These are both on the better end of pictures I've taken...

Post some pictures taken with the V3 RAZR for comparison. I'm interested to see how my phone stacks up!

mkrishnan
Dec 30, 2004, 10:26 AM
Wow, Kev, I'm impressed by the focal quality of the outdoor shot you did, although the indoor still looks about the same to me as most phone camera photos.... Would you mind putting that outdoor up on your image server at full res with a link? That's really not too bad.... Good choice of subjects too, natch. :p

KevRC4130
Dec 30, 2004, 10:51 AM
Wow, Kev, I'm impressed by the focal quality of the outdoor shot you did, although the indoor still looks about the same to me as most phone camera photos.... Would you mind putting that outdoor up on your image server at full res with a link? That's really not too bad.... Good choice of subjects too, natch. :p

I'm not 100% sure if this is what you want, but:

http://img61.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img61&image=0412281304354ji.jpg

mkrishnan
Dec 30, 2004, 11:00 AM
I'm not 100% sure if this is what you want, but:

http://img61.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img61&image=0412281304354ji.jpg

Oh, it wasn't a 1.3 MP picture to begin with? Sorry, my mistake. I was assuming you scaled it down...

KevRC4130
Dec 30, 2004, 11:02 AM
Oh, it wasn't a 1.3 MP picture to begin with? Sorry, my mistake. I was assuming you scaled it down...

Nope, sorry. Like I said, it CAN be 1.3 MP, if set on "Premium". I had it set on "High", which is not as big. "High" seems to be a happy medium between picture quality, size, and file size. I can take some 1.3 MP's outdoors if you like. Let me know!

KevRC4130
Dec 30, 2004, 11:48 AM
Here you go:

http://img100.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img100&image=0412301215324qo.jpg
http://img100.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img100&image=0412301212261uv.jpg
http://img100.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img100&image=0412301219467it.jpg
http://img100.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img100&image=0412301227408ci.jpg
http://img100.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img100&image=0412301216272lj.jpg

Once the picture is open in Image Shack, click the picture and it will go to full 1280x960

:)

mrbrown
Dec 30, 2004, 05:45 PM
first off, the v3 works (well it did for me rather) flawwlessly with isync, my computer doesnt have bluetooth :( but i did have a mini USB cable and plugged it in, booted up isync and it found the v3 and synced it all up. i couldnt be happier, especially when my "friend" told me it wouldnt work. i love the design and the features of the phone, also i bought it for $399 with a 50 dollar rebate to make the phone $349 from wirefly.com :) but i am sure the phone will continue to come down in price.

You would be sorely disappointed if you had bluetooth with your computer and expected to use your phone with iSync via Bluetooth. Motorola's implemtation of Bluetooth is kind of messed up, and unfortunately, iSync doesn't work with it, so you're forced to use a USB cable.

mkrishnan
Dec 30, 2004, 06:34 PM
Kev, thanks for the images! Wow, that is a big improvement over the previous generation of camera phones! :) Hope ya like it!

DJY
Jan 23, 2005, 07:06 AM
So the Motorola v3 RAZR does or doesn't sync via bluetooth.

I know its not on the iSync list... but I've read in a number of forums that some people can get bluetooth to work... whilst other can't?
This is all getting confusing.

Myabe the v3RAZR isn't the dream phone I was hoping for?
Can't say I'm fussed by the camera ( I have a good digi camera)

but I do want seamless sync via bluetooth of Address Book and iCal.
Would love the contacts in the v3 to have an address field as well - but I'm not holding my breath.

Mmm anyone else got "best" phone recommendations?

Electric Monk
Feb 15, 2005, 09:19 PM
You can't use iSync via bluetooth (Can with USB) but you can pair it with the computer and transfer files normally.

Or you can buy OnSync ($10) and use bluetooth.

Sony Ericsson phones work well with Macs.

What are you looking for?

madmaxmedia
Feb 17, 2005, 01:44 AM
So do all Moto phones have problems using iSync through Bluetooth? That's really too bad as I wanted a V551 or something like that...I currently have a Siemens S56 and it syncs great via BT.

mmmdreg
Feb 17, 2005, 05:59 AM
Sony ericsson have the best menu design IMHO. I was looking at a SE s700i but they're just too fat and ugly so I looked at the V3 and it really is a good looker. It's just the interface that lets it down. Sony ericsson just announced a k600i and z800i - both 3G phones with 1.3megapixel cameras, upto 1gig of memory for the latter, and other random features.. i'll probably go the Z800i... It looks kinda similar to the V3.. though definitely fatter depth-wise.

Electric Monk
Feb 17, 2005, 07:16 PM
From what I know the problem is that Motorola phones use SyncML (although their OBEX, a major component of SyncML, is supposed to be bad) which iSync does not currently support. Since Motorola phones do not support the older sync standards no dice.

madmaxmedia
Feb 17, 2005, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the scoop. I also just read on Apple's iSync page that Bluetooth for Motorola phones is not supported, only USB.

Well, I guess (or hope) that I'll still be able to send stuff like ringtones when I get that Motorola V551 (it supports mp3 ringtones.)

DJY
Feb 18, 2005, 06:07 AM
Sony ericsson have the best menu design IMHO. I was looking at a SE s700i but they're just too fat and ugly so I looked at the V3 and it really is a good looker. It's just the interface that lets it down. Sony ericsson just announced a k600i and z800i - both 3G phones with 1.3megapixel cameras, upto 1gig of memory for the latter, and other random features.. i'll probably go the Z800i... It looks kinda similar to the V3.. though definitely fatter depth-wise.

Yes I also noticed these two!!!
I currently have a SE T610 (or it might be a T616 in other countries) and love it... have had it a couple of years and was going to update to a new plan. so Electric Monk I'm looking for a great looking phone... that syncs well with Address Book and iCal - with good intuitive UI and that works like a good quality phone.

Electric Monk
Feb 18, 2005, 06:45 PM
Let us see…

The T637 is the direct upgrade, but doesn't offer much more (nicer screen, a few other things).

The SLVR V8 might be able to use bluetooth iSync and it's out in Q3. Think candybar RAZR V3. However it might not, and it will probably be fairly expensive. Pics: SLVR V8 compared to RAZR V3 (http://cellphones.engadget.com/entry/1234000357032296/)

Also the PEBL V6, but that looks like an end of the year phone. And again, it might not be able to bluetooth iSync.

There is the Sony Ericsson K700. Review here (http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-k700-en.shtml)

The K750 is an improved model nicknamed "Clara" (http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000803030634/) that should come out some time later this year.

There's the K600 first look here (http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000680031568/) however it is a 3G phone and as such many of its features are useless in North America for some time.

As mentioned there is also the Z800 (i.e. a rebranded V800) but I don't believe it supports the 850 band (needed for Cingular/Rogers)

Finally there's SE's S710a which is the only phone I've listed that will be out in the next few weeks (with Cingular) but it is rather big, check out a review here (http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000700030570/), and it is a swivel which some people don't like.

I've concentrated on SE phones simply because SE phones work great with Macs (see Sailing Clicker) and have arguably the best menus. I'm not a huge fan of Nokia anymore so I don't really follow their phones.

I've included the Motorola's because I really like their current industrial design efforts on the high end, re: RAZR V3, PEBL V6, and the SLVR V8. However I don't know whether or not they have changed the UI and added bluetooth iSync support in the V6 and V8.

Frankly the T610/616 held up fairly well with one upgrade (T637) and a kind of successor in the K700.

Release dates are generally international as US Cellphone carriers take quite some time to get phones.

I've used Engadget because they're decent, and have a search function - I didn't feel like googling.

Additionally all of these are GSM/GPRS/EDGE or 3G UTMS (i.e. video phones, fast web browsing and the like) phones and as such are offered by a limited selection of carriers in the US. Especially since 3G will not be fully rolled out for some time in North America.

To note, a number of these phones are triband 900/1800/1900 and as such are less usable with Cingular/Rogers in NA. Some of them will probably be released in Triband 850/1800/1900 models like the S710a (originally the S700i).

Hope some of that helps. I can go more in depth if a couple catch your interest.

eclipse525
Feb 18, 2005, 06:52 PM
I wish Motorola would take a cue from SonyEricsson when it comes to menu design.
or LG's menu set up. The biggest thing with me is Multiply Numbers under one Name. Motorola sucks when it comes to the menus.

~e

eclipse525
Feb 18, 2005, 06:56 PM
Mmm anyone else got "best" phone recommendations?

I don't know about best BUT I love my LG6100. Although it doesn't have bluetooth or video option, it's still a real solid phone and the display is really nice.

~e

DJY
Feb 19, 2005, 04:43 PM
WOW thanks for the detailed post mate! The think for me is whilst I love my T610 - alot of the current SE phones have gone back to plastic ans very close together keys! YUCK! That was why I was looking around...

The SLVR V8 might be able to use bluetooth iSync and it's out in Q3. Think candybar RAZR V3. However it might not, and it will probably be fairly expensive. Pics: SLVR V8 compared to RAZR V3 (http://cellphones.engadget.com/entry/1234000357032296/)
Yes I agree this phone is one to keep looking for - if they significantly improve the UI this will have to be one I check out!!!

There is the Sony Ericsson K700. Review here (http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-k700-en.shtml)

Mmm can't say I like this one...

The K750 is an improved model nicknamed "Clara" (http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000803030634/) that should come out some time later this year.

Now this one looks interesting. Finally seem to be returning to better keys?

There's the K600 first look here (http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000680031568/)
As mentioned there is also the Z800 (i.e. a rebranded V800)
Finally there's SE's S710a

I don't need to worry about North American providers or services - as I'm in Aust. Good GSM coverage... no problems with moving between states and providers... and we even have a 3G network up and runnning as well.

Thanks alot for the links though - am bookmarking a couple of those sites as I type.

Electric Monk
Feb 23, 2005, 03:33 PM
You can probably get your hands on a S700i right away then, but no 3G. The Z800 will be wildly expensive but nice.

No problem, always like to help people out. Just ask if you need more info.

DJY
Feb 24, 2005, 03:46 AM
A couple of people seem to be having troubles...
but from my research it seems this (and most other Motorola phones)

allow bluetooth to send files and pics (to and from Mac OS X)...
but to sync with Address Book and iCal - you have to connect via the USB cable.

Hopefully the iTunes phone will mean an upgrade to the UI before the SLVR comes out - which is one I now have my eye on...
as the RAZR UI is simply not good enough!

aswitcher
Feb 24, 2005, 04:03 AM
A couple of people seem to be having troubles...
but from my research it seems this (and most other Motorola phones)

allow bluetooth to send files and pics (to and from Mac OS X)...
but to sync with Address Book and iCal - you have to connect via the USB cable.

Hopefully the iTunes phone will mean an upgrade to the UI before the SLVR comes out - which is one I now have my eye on...
as the RAZR UI is simply not good enough!

Yeah the SLVR looks nice, and small as well when compared to the RZAR open.

But now Moto have indicated that their iPod phone may be artficially limited in the number of songs it holds to avoid competing with the iPod, I have shaken my head and gone out and bought and iPod...I figure its going to take a bit longer for Apple to get with the program and make intergrated devices with decent memory. A real shame.

ansolas
Mar 1, 2005, 08:00 AM
Well, sorta..

You can upload/download images and ringtones from the phone using bluetooth, ....
/asif
Hi, hoiw do i uplaod and download pictures and Mp3 from to my V3 ?? Which programm do I need? My G5 dont recognice teh phone as drive?
Cheers Fox

Electric Monk
Mar 3, 2005, 02:36 PM
Pair it via Bluetooth, you don't need a special program or anything.

Dagless
Mar 3, 2005, 03:36 PM
to be honest i dont understand why America has some huge love affair with the V3, i was unimpressed by everything other than the form factor. it is beautiful but that size comes at a price.
a girl on my course got one on contract, she thought it looked cool. 4 days later it broke, the case had severe dents. so under the insurance she got another. any guesses to how long it took to break? 7 days.
now shes living with some Sony Ericsson phone.

Ansolas if its anything like her phone; just use the bluetooth setup wizard and its done :)

KevRC4130; i love Siemens phones. first phone I ever had was an M35i, now im using my M55. desperate for one of those SL65 (56?) models. v.nice :cool:

cheekyspanky
Mar 10, 2005, 12:56 AM
Well it's now been about 5 months since I got my V3 and it's still in good as new condition - despite being dropped a few times and getting soaked in my pocket walking home in the rain (twice).

It pairs with my Mac mini easily - letting me swap over pictures or ringtones, but I have yet to try out the USB cable/iSync as I get a "not enough power" error when i plug it into my Keyboard USB ports - so I'll try that again when I get a USB hub.

I'm not too much of a fan of the UI - it feels slow at times, and when you turn the camera on it usually takes about five or so seconds for the camera to adjust - if you take a photo immediately it comes out blurred - almost like you were waving the phone as you took the photo!

The little exterior screen is actually quite useful - handy for a quick check of who's calling you before you open the phone and to see if you've missed any calls etc.

The best thing about it Vs my old SE T610 is the reception - its much much better with the V3. Where I live at home with the T610 I was able to get a signal in our house, only if I had the phone next to a window! With the V3 I get a signal all through our house. (and no..they haven't built more phone masts - I tested the phones together as I've passed the T610 along to my mum).

I hope that Motorola improve the UI on their upcoming phones as I feel this is the worst aspect of the V3 - but I would definitely consider a Motorola again in all other respects.

And I thought I would add some photos taken with the V3 at the highest resolution in case some of you wanted to check out the quality.

kclman
Mar 11, 2005, 04:21 AM
I was wondering if someone could tell me, about the state of the phonebook afgter syncing. I know the v3 has limited phonebook capabilitys ie 1 name 1 number. What happens to the address book in osx after a sync, does it retain many numbers under i contact, or does it get messed up.

Thanks for the help in advance

mkrishnan
Mar 11, 2005, 05:14 AM
And I thought I would add some photos taken with the V3 at the highest resolution in case some of you wanted to check out the quality.

That photo of the barnyard animals came out really nicely. :) I won't ask questions about why you have a rooster. :p:D

cheekyspanky
Mar 11, 2005, 06:09 AM
That photo of the barnyard animals came out really nicely. :) I won't ask questions about why you have a rooster. :p:D

Yeah - that photo did come out well! Sadly the rooster isn't mine..strangely all those animals reside in a public park in Portsmouth where I live - I think it's supposed to bring a bit of nature to the city!

Just around the corner they have Peacocks and Guinea Pigs!

Electric Monk
Mar 11, 2005, 04:52 PM
The new .79R monsterpack improves menu speed and adds new icons, on the downside you get stuck with some Vodafone branding (Startup/shutdown)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=570776

Whotheheck
Mar 18, 2005, 03:27 AM
I think Motorola wants people to buy their syncing software. That's why you can't use isync maybe?

BTW, this phone is $350 now.

Electric Monk
Mar 19, 2005, 03:32 PM
Nope. It's because Panther doesn't properly/fully use the SnycML protocol. Although it mostly applies to Motorola phones because they don't include older protocols, some other new phones like the Nokia 6630 (or 6230, not up on Nokia phones, but I do know one of their newer ones can't use iSync via bluetooth).

Tiger should change this, and Motorola phones that don't currently iSync via bluetooth should be able to.

Tom Morello
Mar 22, 2005, 07:39 AM
I have a problem with my V3. Someone sent me a pic and I can't download it.
It just says that it won't download, try again later.

What should I do?