Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=6886499&pageNumber=0

"a trial in Germany by Nokia, the world's biggest mobile phone maker, and Vodafone, the largest mobile operator, showed 80 percent of people wanted TV on their mobiles and were willing to pay 12 euros ($15.63) per month for it."

does anyone know if this what apple is shooting for with its new agreement with motorola regarding the use of quicktime on their cell phones? is nokia and vodafone beating apple and motorola to the market? if the new codec in quicktime is open source then couldnt mobile phone manufactures use the new codec that quicktime uses without apple seeing any profit from it?

what do you think apple will accompolish with its partnership with motorola and quicktime (read about it here if your not familiar with it http://cellphones.engadget.com/entry/5078643652130520/)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Apple probably isn't interested in TV on mobile phones right now - they're more focused on leveraging their iTunes software in Motorola phones. If Apple expands their leverage to include a full QuickTime implementation, just imagine what would become possible. Anything QuickTime can handle could be played on a Motorola phone with the technology inside were this idea to go through - including 3GPP content suitable for mobile phone use.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
For now I think that Steve wants to have the iSync capability with the Motorola Phones. Sounds like they should have capability for iTunes and iPhotos. Since phones have some of those capabilities now. My wife was even wondering if eventually this would mean that the phone might have some Palm capabilities along the iPod someday.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
yeah, iTunes is suppose to be the initial drive but i think about those movie trailers at iTunes and just have to wonder. the market would have to be tremendous...think about all the sports fans that just cant get to their couch to catch a game but they do have a few minutes before a meeting so they flip open their phone to catch it on quicktime technology.

as far as the phones becoming more like PDAs im sure it will eventually happen.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
beatle888 said:
yeah, iTunes is suppose to be the initial drive but i think about those movie trailers at iTunes and just have to wonder. the market would have to be tremendous...think about all the sports fans that just cant get to their couch to catch a game but they do have a few minutes before a meeting so they flip open their phone to catch it on quicktime technology.

as far as the phones becoming more like PDAs im sure it will eventually happen.
My gut feeling is that our predictions will come true some day. Apple will deploy QuickTime technology more widely, and they will leverage its 3GPP support when they do. What I am not confident enough in to make a prediction on is the year.

Will Curran

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2004
Phoenix AZ
they have a cf (compactflash) card with a tv antenna for watching tv on your pda... funny enough it has a coxial plugin too and a rca jack plugins...

i laugh every time i see it...

oh as to the tv thing, my friends phone had a trial to one of those things.. well its hard to hear you need a really loud phone, and it isnt like regular tv its like a pic changing every 5 seconds and streaming audio...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
LOL, a lot has changed in the interceding years. Apple is very much focused on "tv" on mobile phones in 2023
Why the 19 year thread reboot? Heck half the posters on MR weren’t born then!
My favourite part. Nokia the world’s biggest mobile phone maker.
Lol. Been a few years since my Nokia 3310 was my phone of choice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.