Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
I have a 15" PowerBook G4, 1.5 GHz processor, 512MB memory, and a CD-RW/DVD-RW SuperDrive. My question: why does Apple put Matshita drives in? These apparently have almost no recognition capabilities. I bought Sony CD-RWs and they were not recognized; I had to get TDK. Now I have Maxell DVD-R discs and they are not recognized. Can anyone tell me why this is, and what I can or should do to remedy the problem (eg. new drive)?

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
did you try CD-R or CD+R?

NEENAHBOY said:
I have a 15" PowerBook G4, 1.5 GHz processor, 512MB memory, and a CD-RW/DVD-RW SuperDrive. My question: why does Apple put Matshita drives in? These apparently have almost no recognition capabilities. I bought Sony CD-RWs and they were not recognized; I had to get TDK. Now I have Maxell DVD-R discs and they are not recognized. Can anyone tell me why this is, and what I can or should do to remedy the problem (eg. new drive)?

i'm also annoyed with the drive. i have a pack of maxell dvd+r and they are not recognized. it seems the drive only recognizes dvd-r.

does anybody have any specifics (e.g. what brand works, do dvd+r really n ot work)?

andi

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
Interesting that the second someone mentions Maxell, an ad for Maxell media appears at the bottom of the thread. Coincidence? I think not.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
NEENAHBOY said:
Interesting that the second someone mentions Maxell, an ad for Maxell media appears at the bottom of the thread. Coincidence? I think not.

there is this one thread where they try to bring a ad for a lemur up. didn't work yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.