Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
JeDiBoYTJ said:
Any possible way of getting 5.1 sound on a powerbook, like through a USB adapter or something?
I can't use a 5.1 surround system, as I have no place to put the rear speakers. I've gotten 2.1 sound to work on a PowerBook by plugging external speakers into the headphones port; I'd assume you could do the same thing with a 5.1 speaker system.

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
JeDiBoYTJ said:
Any possible way of getting 5.1 sound on a powerbook, like through a USB adapter or something?

The hardware exists. Try Googling "USB 5.1 sound"

the Zalman and Trust units come up.

Trick is whether or not it will work under OS X as there are no OS X drivers available. 5.1 sound is built into OS X panther for the G5 that have it.

try it and let us know.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
wrldwzrd89 said:
I can't use a 5.1 surround system, as I have no place to put the rear speakers. I've gotten 2.1 sound to work on a PowerBook by plugging external speakers into the headphones port; I'd assume you could do the same thing with a 5.1 speaker system.

well, I already have 2 external speakers plugged in, and theres no real way to get "true" 5.1 out of stereo headphone jacks.

pncc said:
The hardware exists. Try Googling "USB 5.1 sound"

the Zalman and Trust units come up.

Trick is whether or not it will work under OS X as there are no OS X drivers available. 5.1 sound is built into OS X panther for the G5 that have it.

try it and let us know.

Thanks for the info i'll do a google search, but if anyone else has an info, please let me know.
...I hope they arn't too expensive...

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
JeDiBoYTJ said:
I found this on a quick search

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/SonicaTheater-main.html

looks like what im looking for, and it says it mac-compatible, which is great. :)

that's what the people at the apple store told me to get for mine because i wan to hook up a pair of logitech's, but discovered it was huge for my room.... so i just ended up with altec lansing speakers FX 6021. They match the pb nice and sound great, only down side is that there tall.

iceTrX

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
Outside of Detroit.
JeDiBoYTJ said:
I found this on a quick search

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/SonicaTheater-main.html

looks like what im looking for, and it says it mac-compatible, which is great. :)

I have an M-Audio Transit (smaller, 5.1, cheaper version of the Sonica Theater) for my powerbook, its excellent. I can select the Transit as digital-out passthrough with the Apple DVD player (in panther) and have true 5.1 Dolby and DTS surround sound going to my surround sound receiver via TOSlink optical audio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.