Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
Not Mac news, but some PowerPC fans might be interested :cool:

IBM have announced low-end and high end POWER7 servers (they originally only released mid range and blade servers).

The High End server run at up to 4.25Ghz in turbo mode and 4.00Ghz in normal mode and can have up to 256 cores. It is a performance monster with >2X better performance /core than the high end Intel chips.

http://www.itjungle.com/fhs/fhs081710-story02.html

Also, low end 1 socket and 2 socket servers released (starting price of about $6k).

http://www.itjungle.com/fhs/fhs081710-story01.html

It is interesting to compare chips used in "lower" end machines:

The recently announced MacPro with 2 x 6 core 2.93Ghz "Westmere" chips gets:

http://www.apple.com/au/macpro/performance.html

297/197 in specint_rate/specfp_rate

Compared to the 730 Express server

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/hardware/730/perfdata.html

2 x 6 core 3.7Ghz POWER7 472/432
2 x 8 core 3.55Ghz POWER7 575/482

Take that intel! :D

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
This is all so exciting!! Too bad their market is so small for implementation, you cNt exactly run everyday OSs on it!!

I hear these have 1/2 the transistor count too! Go IBM!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
They do own the UNIX server market
true, not exactly mainstream though - I think.

Which is a shame.
I was under the impression that the instruction sets were widely backwards compatible, I wonder if leopard would run on it :p but I guess there are marginal differrences between PowerPC and Power architectures. Red hat will run on it, which is a fairly usable OS :D

What industry are you in?

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
true, not exactly mainstream though - I think.

I was under the impression that the instruction sets were widely backwards compatible, I wonder if leopard would run on it :p but I guess there are marginal differrences between PowerPC and Power architectures. Red hat will run on it, which is a fairly usable OS :D

What industry are you in?

POWER7 is completely backward compatible with PowerPC ISA used by the G5. In fact, it uses the PowerPC ISA. In theory, all the would be needed to make Leopard run is equip the POWER7 machine with the appropriate firmware.

I'm in IT industry (Financial company) - nothing too exciting, but I do deal with some large Unix installations once in a while

advres

Oct 3, 2003
Boston
POWER7 is completely backward compatible with PowerPC ISA used by the G5. In fact, it uses the PowerPC ISA. In theory, all the would be needed to make Leopard run is equip the POWER7 machine with the appropriate firmware.

So anyway I can slap em in my dual 2.0G5?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
very exciting! imagine that.. G7 Mac. :D i am not certain if it would run though, given 32-bit vs 64-bit, and the memory limitations :p

I'm in IT industry (Financial company) - nothing too exciting, but I do deal with some large Unix installations once in a while
nice man :) im in Uni at the moment, getting into networking and security. thanks very much for this thread, i work for IBM at the moment - always goods to show my interest at work for brownie points :D

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
I can only imagine how hot these things run, check out the gigantic air movement devices inside of this server: http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=Tp2bD_wTTR0&feature=related

also, the chip is huge
IBM_Employee_with_POWER7_Ceramic_Module_1_.jpg

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
I can only imagine how hot these things run, check out the gigantic air movement devices inside of this server: http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=Tp2bD_wTTR0&feature=related

also, the chip is huge
IBM_Employee_with_POWER7_Ceramic_Module_1_.jpg

That's an MCM module. The High end chips are packaged in an MCM module containing 4 POWER7 chips. That's a total of 32 cores. Maximum Power consumed by the module is around 800W. Considering its performance, that is not a lot and in fact would beat most Nehalem Xeon chips in performance/watt (except possible for the Ultra low voltage models).

More information here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/27/ibm_power7_hpc_server/page2.html

Low and mid range chips are not package this way - the POWER7 chip actually contains less transistors than the Intel Nehalem-EX chip.

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
I think some people over at IBM should just go ahead and show leopard running on a POWER7 server. Sure they would have to deal with the firmware bit but there are few ways to solve that problem. Then run a benchmark to see if you have created the most powerful non-clustered OSX computer. Send the benchmark to Steve Jobs and offer to provide POWER7 for use in a build to order big iron Mac server. Could even just rebadge the IBM enclosure. As a BTO if they don't sell many it's no big deal. It might be useful just to scare intel a little bit.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I think some people over at IBM should just go ahead and show leopard running on a POWER7 server. Sure they would have to deal with the firmware bit but there are few ways to solve that problem. Then run a benchmark to see if you have created the most powerful non-clustered OSX computer. Send the benchmark to Steve Jobs and offer to provide POWER7 for use in a build to order big iron Mac server. Could even just rebadge the IBM enclosure. As a BTO if they don't sell many it's no big deal. It might be useful just to scare intel a little bit.

stop making me drool, my keyboard doesn't like that :rolleyes:

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
i am not very fond of hyperthreading - i wonder how performance changes when single/multi threaded applications are compared.

Hard to say. Obviously the performance differential between the POWER7 and Westmere would be less for single threaded applications.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah

+1,000,000

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.