PDA

View Full Version : SATA cable for connecting an SSD internally

Demigod Mac
Aug 23, 2010, 04:59 PM
OWC Mercury Extreme SSD and a Mac Pro

I've tried numerous mounting brackets, and although they will hold the drive firmly in place, none of them can get the connectors lined up.

For the time being I've taken the precarious method of taping my SSD in place while it's connected to the motherboard. Of course, I don't want this to be a permanent solution.

Would this cable enable me to mount the drive in place and connect it to the motherboard?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226020

reel2reel
Aug 23, 2010, 05:11 PM
The OWC icy dock didn't work?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/IcyDock/MB882SP1S2B/

Dang, that's what I was planning on getting, hoping it was no fuss. The OWC rep told me no cables are needed with the adapter.

Demigod Mac
Aug 23, 2010, 05:16 PM
Haven't tried that. Might be a better idea, considering.

reel2reel
Aug 23, 2010, 05:22 PM
Haven't tried that. Might be a better idea, considering.

Others around here have had success with it. If you had to end up using cables, you might as well install it in the lower optical bay (if it's empty) and free up an HD bay. But the adapter should make it easy to install the SSD in the regular drive bay from everything I've read and what the rep told me.

sboerup
Aug 23, 2010, 05:25 PM
Put it in the 2nd optical bay (if not being used). The cables are already up there, might as well . . .

Demigod Mac
Aug 23, 2010, 05:27 PM
Got a Blu-ray drive in optical bay 2.

reel2reel
Aug 23, 2010, 05:35 PM
Put it in the 2nd optical bay (if not being used). The cables are already up there, might as well . . .

Nice, I thought you have to get cables. So it just uses the existing cables in the 2nd optical bay? What kind of an adapter do you need to secure it in there?

Concorde Rules
Aug 23, 2010, 06:01 PM
Nice, I thought you have to get cables. So it just uses the existing cables in the 2nd optical bay? What kind of an adapter do you need to secure it in there?

5.25" to 2.5" is what you need.

But my 80Gb Intel SSD has been hanging there for 4 months with no issues what so ever.

reel2reel
Aug 23, 2010, 06:12 PM
5.25" to 2.5" is what you need.

But my 80Gb Intel SSD has been hanging there for 4 months with no issues what so ever.

Thanks! Do you notice a big difference in boot and app launch times?

Giuly
Aug 23, 2010, 06:20 PM
You can even mount 2 SSDs (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MM352A52MP/) in the optical bay - if you are willing to install a PCIe SATA-Controller (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet%20Technology/TSATAIIE4I/).

OP: You would have been better off with a BD-Burner.

Hamburg
Aug 26, 2010, 01:04 PM
@Demigod
You got a new MP? Which internal Blu-Ray did you buy and is it SATA?

sboerup
Aug 26, 2010, 02:25 PM

This was the first thing I did to my Mac Pro even before booting. Pulled out the optical tray, the 2nd SATA connection and SATA power was just hanging there waiting for my SSD. Plugged it in, just let the SSD rest there. Remember, SSDs don't produce heat (hardly) and are not subject damage from moving around or "not being mounted" in a secure mounting . . . so, no big deal if you ask me.

cured.not.dried
Aug 26, 2010, 02:36 PM
my optical drive bay didn't have sata connectors, sadly (since mine is a 2,1) so i wound up getting a cable very similar to the one you found, demi, except that it's a full 15+7 connector on both sides. the mac pro's sata connectors won't fit your cable, btw, because the male sata-data connector has that weird bracket around it.

i wish i had known about the icydock though, that looks pretty solid.

ahavriluk
Aug 26, 2010, 03:11 PM
What would be the solution if I want to mount 2 SSDs (stripped) in optical bay of Mac Pro?

Concorde Rules
Aug 26, 2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks! Do you notice a big difference in boot and app launch times?

Yes, it's all very very quick :p

reel2reel
Aug 26, 2010, 04:57 PM
Yes, it's all very very quick :p

That's good? I guess?

Can't WAIT for my OWC 120 to get here. This new Mac Pro is going to work like a dream.