Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiskyMr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Hi All,

Is there a Folding@Home GPU3 console client? On the downloads page I can only find a system tray client for GPU3.

Cheers,
RiskyMr

RiskyMr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
That works. Thanks.

I'm folding on a Windows 7 machine. (Haven't tried on my MacBook yet.)

Cheers,
RiskyMr

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Hi jav6454,

Have you tried adding the -forcegpu ati_r700 flag?

I'm guessing that the 58 series cards were newer than the GPU2 client, so they aren't recognised by default.

I'm assuming that this is under windows with the latest catalyst drivers?

Hope that helps

Rob

RiskyMr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Also note that for the the HD 5850 card you'll want to use the -forcegpu ati_r800 flag.

•ATI 3xxx series: -forcegpu ati_r600
•ATI 4xxx series: -forcegpu ati_r700
•ATI 5xxx series: -forcegpu ati_r800 (v6.30 or newer)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hi jav6454,

Have you tried adding the -forcegpu ati_r700 flag?

I'm guessing that the 58 series cards were newer than the GPU2 client, so they aren't recognised by default.

I'm assuming that this is under windows with the latest catalyst drivers?

Hope that helps

Rob

I downloaded the GUI client version, which doesn't even start because it automatically says "Unsupported GPU". Hence, I don't even get to use the -forcegpu at_r700 flag.

Any links to the console client version (CMD Prompt)? I looked but only saw the GPU and GPU2 GUI clients on the FAH downloads page for high performance clients. I did see GPU3 download but did use that since it said ATI cards are not supported at the moment. But if has been updated I'll give that a try.

Yes, this in in Windows 7 under the latest Catalyst Drivers.

Thanks for the help.

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
I downloaded the GUI client version, which doesn't even start because it automatically says "Unsupported GPU". Hence, I don't even get to use the -forcegpu at_r700 flag.

Any links to the console client version (CMD Prompt)? I looked but only saw the GPU and GPU2 GUI clients on the FAH downloads page for high performance clients. I did see GPU3 download but did use that since it said ATI cards are not supported at the moment. But if has been updated I'll give that a try.

Yes, this in in Windows 7 under the latest Catalyst Drivers.

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

there looks to be a GPU2 console client for vista (and I assume windows 7 as well) on the downloads page:

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/Folding@home-Win32-GPU_Vista-623.zip

but as RiskyMr says, there should be support in the GPU3 client for the newer ATI cards using the ati_r800 (sorry, it's not _700 that I said earlier). I think that the most up to date list of compatible cards is maintained here:

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=158849#p158849

Hope that helps

Rob

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
OK, so I downloaded the client. I am using the Command Prompt. However, the fahgpu client only is making one of my 5850s work, the other is there idle.

Any help how to make that lazy one work? I've read that I need to make another folder and copy/paste the client there and make it run again. However, Catalyst Center says that the 5850 is disabled. However, if I re-enable CrossFire it works fine.

Help?

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Yeah, you'll need to run two console clients to use both cards - one with a -gpu 0 flag and the other with a -gpu 1 flag.

I don't know it things have changed with regards to crossfire / SLI, but when I was using windows 7 RC with two nvidia cards, I had to have a monitor plugged into both cards and enable desktop spanning to get both to fold and not use SLI.
However, the later clients / drivers I think support SLI being enabled (although they don't actually use it) - it may well be the same with crossfire.

Hope that helps

Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.