Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Can anyone tell me if Messages allows you to have your chats in separate windows, rather than one tabbed on? iChat gives that option, and I strongly prefer it. I'd find out myself, but since Messages replaces iChat, I don't know if you can go back after installing Messages.

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
But by default, it will only open in the main window? That stinks. I hope they add an option by the time it's out of beta.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
On a related note, how do you get your picture to show up next to the bubbles on your side of the conversation?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
On a related note, how do you get your picture to show up next to the bubbles on your side of the conversation?

For me, it uses the picture I have for my account on the computer. Didn't change any settings.

----------

Can anyone tell me if Messages allows you to have your chats in separate windows, rather than one tabbed on? iChat gives that option, and I strongly prefer it. I'd find out myself, but since Messages replaces iChat, I don't know if you can go back after installing Messages.

Yes. Just double click on the conversation in the list, and it opens in its own window.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
For me, it uses the picture I have for my account on the computer. Didn't change any settings.

Weird. I have a picture set for my account. I even have my address card set for this account (which also has a picture of me, the same one), and I don't get any picture on my side of the conversation in Messages. Anyone else?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Weird. I have a picture set for my account. I even have my address card set for this account (which also has a picture of me, the same one), and I don't get any picture on my side of the conversation in Messages. Anyone else?

I just realized I have the same picture for my own entry in the Address Book app, maybe that's where it gets the pictures from?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
But by default, it will only open in the main window? That stinks. I hope they add an option by the time it's out of beta.

I prefer it this way. My desktop used to be all cluttered up with different chat windows when I used microsoft messenger a few years ago. Maybe they can add an option for people to set it to open in a separate window by default or the way it is now. Options are always great

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I prefer it this way. My desktop used to be all cluttered up with different chat windows when I used microsoft messenger a few years ago. Maybe they can add an option for people to set it to open in a separate window by default or the way it is now. Options are always great

Yeah, I know a lot of people preferred it when they added tabs to iChat, but I still preferred separate windows. I think having Exposé makes windows a lot easier to deal with than tabs anyway. That's one of the main reasons I can't switch to Chrome, it does all it can to force you into using tabs. But it was never an issue with iChat, I just turned off the option for tabbed windows.

You can also doubleclick the thread on the left to open in a new window.

I know, but it sucks to have to do that every time. Plus, I just discovered that when you close the main tabbed window, all your individual windows disappear too! What's the logic behind that one??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.