Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The iPhone 4S, compared with iPad & iPod touch, has a yellow tint.

A yellow tint.

What kind of defect is this? Why is my screen yellow? And how do you fix it?

Attachments

• Photo0053.jpg
    Photo0053.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The iPhone 4S, compared with iPad & iPod touch, has a yellow tint.

A yellow tint.

What kind of defect is this? Why is my screen yellow? And how do you fix it?

You cannot fix this as its not broke.

My iPhone 4 has a warmer screen than my iPod touch 1gen.

If you make an appointment at an apple store they may swap the unit for you.

Los

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
It's just a warmer screen. I had a dead pixel on my first iPhone 4S, got a replacement, and it too has the warmer screen. So no defect. :)

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2010
Warmer screen they say. Quality control issues I say. Funny how every time I get a replacement they know which ones have the blue tint. Don't accept it, return it.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
How many of you were alive during Watergate?

I wasn't :D yellow screen here and could care less. Phone is great and unless I hold it side by side with my iPad you would never know. I don't see any bluegate screen forum threads poping up :rolleyes:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
...I'm also... curious as to why- whenever there's a problem with the product- everyone goes into denial mode.

I don't see a problem with pointing out obvious flaws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIcaejkpD4

"If you don't want an iPhone 4, don't buy one;
If you've got one and you don't like it, bring it back."

Beyond offering you this advice, there is nothing any of us can do BUT argue about whether it's a defect or not.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
You have to separate fact from fiction.

When I first bought this 4S- I strictly, compared it with my iPod touch. And what I found was quite the contrary to popular belief.

The phone's screen is yellow! Everything was washed out and the iPod touch 4's display was clearly better.

Of course you forget about it after a while, but still. I'm wondering if it's deliberate, or not, because I like to enjoy a retina display that's colors aren't washed out. I think the yellow helps because it's easier on the eyes.

So I don't see why people vote down the truth.

Oh, and it's a definitely a "gate" issue. The iPod touch and iPhone were marketed and I was led to believe by Apple and Apple users that the iPhone's screen is superior to the iPod touch.

It is not.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
My iPad 2 is yellower than my iPhone 4S.

It doesn't trouble me. I guess I'm just not inclined to stressing out over things like tints on a screen. All LCD panels have to pass a test. If they're within a certain range, they pass. Same holds for all devices, not just Apple's

Perhaps in iOS 6 Apple will provide temp adjustment controls. Meanwhile, given that all these devices have variances, we could just be happy we're lucky enough to own one.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Me...in my 20's.

And frankly, I'm really tired of the "-gate" suffix applied to every trivial issue that comes down the pike.

It would be nice if, at least here, we could do away with it.

Just saying...;)

I totally agree. Save the "-gate" for non-trivial things.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
I would have called it "yellow screen problem" but it's not just me.

It's all iPhones!
eek.gif

It's a gate issue!!

Last edited:

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I went into an Apple Store and bought a 32gb 4S last Tuesday. I knew about the yellow screen issue because I had seen it firsthand before. I told the Apple employee that I didn't want a yellow screen. He said that if the one he brought out had one, he would go get another. Luckily,the first one didn't and I was OK.

It had a serial number that began with DNP. I've read that those for sure are OK because they came from the same factory. The others that I have scene firsthand that were OK had that serial number as well.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
The wifey and I got our 4S phones within a few days of each other at different locations. My screen had the issue. Next to hers or the iPhone 4 I replaced it was "warmer" or what I like to call a sickly yellow brown. My lock screen is a photo of a sunrise I took and it and the wallpaper looked horrible. I decided to give it awhile before getting a replacement to see if it would change. It didn't.

On a whim I decided to play with the brightness, and found if I cranked it up the color difference was much less noticeable to the point where I would now use the word warmer because the colors where rendered well at an only slightly higher color temperature. I felt sheepish for not checking the brightness sooner, but not so much after comparing it to the wife's and saw for the same brightness my control was about 85% to the right where her's was around 60%. When I dimmed her's down the screen did not become warmer, just dimmer.

Now after a few weeks I'm holding it next to an MBA and there is little or any difference in the color temp. Tomorrow I'll compare it to the wife's but just looking at it, the whites look white enough to where I would say there's no longer an issue. Very odd.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
If you Jailbreak you can fix this issue by installing a color tone changer, forget what it's called but searing this site should bring it up for you.

Anyone know what this tweak is called.

performed a search with no success !

----------

...I'm also... curious as to why- whenever there's a problem with the product- everyone goes into denial mode.

I don't see a problem with pointing out obvious flaws.

I don't think I'm in denial mode dude, honest, really, I'm not.........lol.

When i first got my iPhone 4 and read info on here and the net about this widely discussed issue ,i compared the screen to my iPod touch 1st gen and found the screen of my iPhone to be warmer (yellow). The contrast is very different, but after mulling it over i decided in my minds eye that i actually preferred the warmer tint to the blue hue.

In my opinion, its down to preference.

If i felt that this was a defect id be all over it like a rash. ;)

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The original yellowgate was yellow spots on the iPhone 4 screen due to an adhesive that hadn't completely dried yet.

This is just a warmer screen. No problem here. Not all displays are created equal.

DanBurns91

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
West Midlands, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Whys every problem a "gate"? Generally confused.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Whys every problem a "gate"? Generally confused.

Lol,

Well the gates closed and bolted on this one for me !

Ive let go and moved on. :D

therealjustin

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2011
Every single 4S I have seen in Apple stores, AT&T stores, Verizon stores and Walmart stores all have the cooler screen temperature. Someone at Apple clearly thought these represented their product the best and should be used for display models!

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
The more I think about it, the more distaste I feel for it.

Never would I have thought that you had to go picking for the good iPhones like a basket of Apples.

The phones with the yellow screen are the bad Apples.

I think this problem affects 90% of the phones. So, why do only some phones turn out good?

After you see the difference in the keyboard color, you really feel bad about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.