Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crabapplemcn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hey I want to rip some kids DVD's to put on my ipod and then connect via HDMI to my car overhead DVD player. A couple quick questions.

- I have Handbrake/VLC. What settings do i have to check to make sure quality/ size isn't that goog/big. I dont need best quality or large files and want to make sure i encode them correctly.

- Is there a way to rip the DVD and eliminate all the ads/previews at the beginning of the disc? I want just the movie to start right up. Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
Use the NORMAL or APPLE TV presets for good quality files, the size should be between 500 to 1500 MB depending on the length of the movie.
When in HandBrake, you can select which TITLE to transcode/convert, just select the longest one, as that will be the movie without all the trailers and extras.

2012_02_29_pB1_HandBrakeTitleSelection.png

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I think the "iPhone/iPod touch" preset does a nice enough job for smaller screens such as your car's overhead screen, and generates a file that's only 400 to 700 megabytes depending on movie length. Built-in auto entertainment screens that are 12" and smaller have low enough native resolution that any artifacts won't be readily noticed. Now, if you try to play the file on a 60" plasma, the pixelation will be definitely noticeable, especially on the text in the end credits.

I've HandBraked my daughter's entire DVD library for road trips using the iPhone/touch preset, but it also serves the same files to my 46" LCD TV in the family room via an :apple:tv 2. She doesn't seem to mind the slight degradation in quality, I only have to maintain one file per movie in the iTunes library, and no more scratched, chipped, broken, or lost discs! (There are a small handful of movies I've HandBraked in higher resolution, including WALL-E; in those cases I do maintain two files.)

crabapplemcn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Thanks for all the help. I don't exactly see any choices for "normal, apple tv, iphone/itouch" presets. Where should i be looking for that in handbrake? thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.