Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

icloud_icon_text.jpg
With today's release of iOS 6 Beta 3 to developers, Apple has revealed in the update's change log that it is beginning the first stages of transitioning users from the me.com email addresses and Apple IDs available under MobileMe to new addresses using icloud.com.
icloud.com email addresses are now available for iCloud mail users. Users signing up for new Apple IDs, or enabling Mail on their iCloud account for the first time, will automatically receive an @icloud.com email address instead of a me.com email address. iCloud users with @me.com addresses that have been used with iOS 6 beta 3 will receive an @icloud.com email address that matches their @me.com address.
Apple discontinued MobileMe in favor of iCloud as of June 30, although MobileMe users are still able to transition their accounts to iCloud for a limited time.

MobileMe and its me.com addresses were themselves transitioned in 2008 from mac.com addresses available under Apple's previous iTools and .Mac services, with MobileMe users able to send and receive email from mac.com and me.com versions of their addresses using either account.

Article Link: Apple Rolling Out iCloud.com Email Addresses with iOS 6 Beta 3

Last edited:

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
5 @mac.com email aliases,
5 @me.com email aliases,
now
5 more @icloud.com email aliases

#toomanyaliases!

d3bruts1d

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2009
TN
As long as they allow me to keep my <user>@me.com emails I don't care. I don't think I'd ever use a <user>@icloud.com email address.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Why the year long wait? If this was the ultimate path why didn't they transition everyone to this when they rolled iCloud out?

griffd

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
kind of agree - i'm still dealing with the consequences of the .mac -> .me transition, and i really kind of like how short @me.com is. Prefer that they just left it alone - mostly for convenience and partially as a homage to mobile me - though I'm sure Apple would rather forget about it - ha :)

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
I like the @me address also.

The service is "iCloud", but I'm still "me".

I thought the "@me" address was very Apple. It sent the message that "We know you're not a corporation or a part of us, you're you."

I hope they keep the "@me" around.

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
I don't know about everyone else, but I want to figure out how to transition my me.com to an icloud.com email address (non-developer).

For me, me.com sounds a bit selfish, but icloud.com sounds like (oh, you like Apple) - at least it is much closer to the old mac.com email which I can't get to anymore. :(

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Great, now I have a mac.com, me.com and now icloud.com.

I already made my transition form mac.com to me.com and I'll probably leave it at that.

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2006
Hmm... I switched to iCloud email from a Google Apps domain because it was shorter and so I could have space to archive my mail without Google serving me ads on it. If they move to @icloud.com addresses, that takes away one of the two big reasons I switched.

I wish Apple had some kind of Domains-like program where I could use iCloud space with my own domain. Oh well, as long as they let my @me.com address stay.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I still use the .mac address. I'd rahter they address the issues of getting icloud emails to push regularly.

sinfm

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
this is getting ridiculous...

time to start bugging Apple to Merge IDs again!

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
@icloud.com ?? GROSS.

There is no reason for this. iCloud is a behind-the-scenes service. Should just stick with the shorter, elegant, me.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.