Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sc20k1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Hi everyone, just came back from my Virgin Mobile store where I got my iPhone 5 32GB. I played a bit with it on my way back home and noticed that Siri kept popping up and that apps closed randomly. I was not even touching the home button.

After a little test I found that when I press gently on the bottom of the iPhone 5, it act as if I had pressed the home button. Is this normal? Can I get a new one a an Apple Store? It's pretty annoying since only a light weight on the corner wake the iPhone, close an app or activate Siri.

Here's a video:

http://youtu.be/vYneY5iJD00

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I think you mean sensitive?

Edit: Can't get mine to do the same. Seems defective. I'd take it back.

sc20k1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Do I need to take it back to an Apple Store or a Virgin Mobile store?

sc20k1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Hey - all the past iPhone users here are well acquainted with the quirks of iPhone spell check. We knew what he meant.

Sorry, I made the correction. It's a new phone and the spell check was still ON.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Hey - all the past iPhone users here are well acquainted with the quirks of iPhone spell check. We knew what he meant.

So I'm going to assume he posted this on his iPhone? I wasn't being a smart ass, just a gentle correction/question so step off. And the fact that I answered his question is proof my intent was not to be a jerk.

JaneDoe966

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
I am having the exact same problem. It's become a real issue because I'm a student, and in the middle of class siri will pop up or start playing music. It's definitely not just your iphone. If there's any way to fix this, I'd love to know.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Hi everyone, just came back from my Virgin Mobile store where I got my iPhone 5 32GB. I played a bit with it on my way back home and noticed that Siri kept popping up and that apps closed randomly. I was not even touching the home button.

After a little test I found that when I press gently on the bottom of the iPhone 5, it act as if I had pressed the home button. Is this normal? Can I get a new one a an Apple Store? It's pretty annoying since only a light weight on the corner wake the iPhone, close an app or activate Siri.

Here's a video:

http://youtu.be/vYneY5iJD00

I am having the exact same problem. It's become a real issue because I'm a student, and in the middle of class siri will pop up or start playing music. It's definitely not just your iphone. If there's any way to fix this, I'd love to know.

Are you guys serious? How the **** would you guys come to the conclusion that siri popping up by itself and apps closing themselves is NORMAL?? Obviously a hardware fault, book a genius appointment and take it to the apple store.

Don't bother going to virgin, they'll tell you to go to Apple store because they handle the warranty.

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Book a Genius appointment with Apple for a replacement. Virgin will likely refer you to apple for warranty issues.

K-Rob

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
I just got back from the Apple store were they replaced mine for the same exact issue. "Supposedly" they'd never seen that before and didn't give me any problems offering a replacement.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I just got back from the Apple store were they replaced mine for the same exact issue. "Supposedly" they'd never seen that before and didn't give me any problems offering a replacement.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard 'we have never head of this issue' I would have personally paid for Steve Jobs yacht to be released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.