Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
Do you all think that the iPad mini could be one's primary mobile/cell phone? I suppose if you mainly message people it could work if you get the data plan.

I forsee two main concerns. One would be when placing/receiving calls, one would need to have a headset with a microphone attached? Another concern would be the size. Sometimes you might go our for a quick errand and need to grab your phone, but you don't necessarily want to carry a bag. I guess the iPad mini could fit into some pockets, but perhaps not all. It seems to be on the border line in that regard.

So, what you all think of getting the iPad mini with a cellular plan and using it as an iphone (or whatever) replacement?

Thanks...

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Umm, it could technically work, but it definitely won't be replacing my iPhone. I can't imagine carrying the Mini around plus a set of headphones everywhere you go. It's much easier to just gran your phone and go.

magicsul

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
Thinking the same thing.

Do you all think that the iPad mini could be one's primary mobile/cell phone? I suppose if you mainly message people it could work if you get the data plan.

I forsee two main concerns. One would be when placing/receiving calls, one would need to have a headset with a microphone attached? Another concern would be the size. Sometimes you might go our for a quick errand and need to grab your phone, but you don't necessarily want to carry a bag. I guess the iPad mini could fit into some pockets, but perhaps not all. It seems to be on the border line in that regard.

So, what you all think of getting the iPad mini with a cellular plan and using it as an iphone (or whatever) replacement?

Thanks...

Yes, Number of people confirm it could so with ipad mini,
I'm going to try to replace my phone, so I ordered lte version.

not only txt, with google voice + few apps, ipad mini (or any other tablet) could receive and make calls (voip data calls of course) just like with your phone.

There will be pros and cons,I am planning out, it should work theoratically however you might encounter issues like connection/caller id/other things could not have expected.... that is why i'm only going to try it out, keeping my phone at the moment.

And like others pointed out, I don't see myself carrying around mini all around the year, and if it fits in your pocket, it looks ugly. (i've seen apple store guy tried it out)

However if this work flawlessly, it means you can keep only data plan for your phones too. a lot more options, combinations with your phone/tablet/mobile carriers..

328xi

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Why do so many people want this? Just get an actual phone.

+1 it's way too big to fit in your pocket! I replaced my ipad1 with a mini and use if for everything except trying to make it a phone. Even if it had full cellular capacity, having a phone wins in the convenience department.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I tried this when I had my Galaxy Tab 7. while it does work it soon gets annoying. Definitely find separate phone and tablet works better.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Bluetooth hands free kit, google voice and a decent data plan and your good to go. If Siri worked with gv it would be perfect.

Antibomber

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
iPad mini to replace my iPhone

I am currently 'test-driving' a 64GB LTE iPad mini with the intent to replace my iPhone and save $50/mn or $600/yr on cell phone bill.

I currently have an iPhone 4 and the above mini. I pay $30 for 3Gb data and $10/mn for a VoIP app service which allows me to send and receive texts and calls wherever I have service.

Cons; Cannot dial 911 over VoIP and due to 'API' restrictions on third party software developers Bluetooth headsets and earpieces cannot use the 'call/end' button.

mitigations; will maintain iPhone 4 without service contact in car to access 911 services which is the only time I'm not around someone else with a phone.
Will need to answer/end calls through opening the app on the iPad

Pros; Save $600/yr on cell phone bill :D, larger screen on device, eliminate another device.

Currently 90% sure I will transition to iPad mini in the next week or so. Apple is not stupid and will not allow any other device :)apple: or otherwise) to infringe on their flagship product's market share without a complete and considerable replacement device that would not allow their profit margin to do anything other than increase.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Currently 90% sure I will transition to iPad mini in the next week or so. Apple is not stupid and will not allow any other device :)apple: or otherwise) to infringe on their flagship product's market share without a complete and considerable replacement device that would not allow their profit margin to do anything other than increase.

Mate how is your test drive of the Ipad mini as cell phone going so far? I am interested in buying an ipad mini with cellualr and do the same if feasable otherwise I will buy the wifi only. Every opinion counts.

anaqvi786

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2013
At iOS planet
IDK if this is helpful or not, but you will be able to place and receive calls with google voice. There IS a mic built in. All you need is a decent data plan, and you should be good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.