Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lesyork

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
Hi guys,

iPhone was just sitting on the counter. Came back to it 10 minutes later, presented with the setup screen.

New behaviour or seen before?

bholaladka

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Hi guys,

iPhone was just sitting on the counter. Came back to it 10 minutes later, presented with the setup screen.

New behaviour or seen before?

did someone try to break in your phone by entering the pass code too many times? :rolleyes:

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
UK
If you have it set up in a particular way, it will erase itself if you get the passcode wrong 10 times. But due to the waiting limit, it would take a lot longer than the 10mins that you said...

deltachange

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Me too

I've had the same thing happen twice now. This time I was driving with the phone in my pocket, I used Siri to set a reminder and when I stopped (5 minutes later) and pulled my phone out, it presented the setup screen.

The last time this happened I was overseas and couldn't backup from Icloud (4 hours - phone would timeout) which was pretty frustrating. this time I learnt to back up to Itunes so it can happen much faster.

I have a case that protects all the buttons - actually makes them hard to press. I confirmed with IT that no-one had reset my phone. If they had they would have reset my Ipad too...

Ideas gratefully received.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Try going into settings, then general, about, then diagnostics and usage. go into diagnostics logs, and read to see if anything is happening in there.

When the 4S first came out, it was resetting itself all the time, and i ended up seeing a bunch of kernel panic logs in the diagnostics. Had to get it replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.