Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camerondtaylor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
My system is a 2010 Macbook Pro running a Core i7 with 8gb RAM.

My boot camp version of XP crashed last year and I deleted the partition. I now need Windows again, and am looking to install Windows 8. I do not have Windows 7 and obviously can't install Windows XP with ease due to Lion Boot Camp restrictions.

I was wondering if anyone has installed a Windows 8 OEM on their Bootcamp. Please let me know if it was straight forward or if you encountered problems. I know about the brightness issues and the trackpad not working (I have a USB mouse).

Thanks

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
My system is a 2010 Macbook Pro running a Core i7 with 8gb RAM.

My boot camp version of XP crashed last year and I deleted the partition. I now need Windows again, and am looking to install Windows 8. I do not have Windows 7 and obviously can't install Windows XP with ease due to Lion Boot Camp restrictions.

I was wondering if anyone has installed a Windows 8 OEM on their Bootcamp. Please let me know if it was straight forward or if you encountered problems. I know about the brightness issues and the trackpad not working (I have a USB mouse).

Thanks

In one post I read you can get the trackpad working by uninstalling touchpad, installing normal mouse driver, reinstalling touchpad drivers.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...hpad-drivers-fail-to-install-on-windows-8-rtm

And the MacRumors version:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1477747/
Ah, and the reason for the basic mouse drivers...
First go to the bootcamp control panel (in the system tray), and see if there is a tab for the trackpad. If there is, check to make sure "Secondary Click" is checked under "two fingers".

If there isn't a trackpad option, go to the device manager, uninstall the trackpad (you'll need a mouse to navigate). Find the actual drivers, and manually delete them, then re-install the bootcamp drivers.

You may need to check again if secondary click is checked.

Maybe this weekend I will be able to get into the foray of installing Windows 8 on my late 2009 MBP. I have my Seagate 750GB Momentus XT Hybrid (8GB of SSD built into it) standing by to join my 500GB Momentus XT hybrid (4GB of SSD bulit into it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.