Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BileGhost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
I've installed Windows 8 on my late 2010 MacBook Pro, and it's all going fine except the trackpad. Left click works but no right click or scrolling.

I've read over all I can find about this, I uninstalled and reinstalled bootcamp 4 drivers, I installed Trackpad ++ (and that power management software since I'm running x64) and it says it can't communicate with the trackpad drivers, although the drivers report that they are installed fine.

I used device manager to change the driver to USB device then got windows to search for and install the new driver, which it did with no problems, but still no go with right click/scrolling.

I'm wondering if there's anything else I can try. At this point, I'd be happy to accept recommendations on software that lets me right click through other methods, corner of trackpad/holding ctrl/etc. My USB ports don't work so I can't plug in an external mouse...

Thanks for any help in advance :)

gnortenjones

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
I had this problem too. (also couldn't get trackpad++ to work).

First go to the bootcamp control panel (in the system tray), and see if there is a tab for the trackpad. If there is, check to make sure "Secondary Click" is checked under "two fingers".

If there isn't a trackpad option, go to the device manager, uninstall the trackpad (you'll need a mouse to navigate). Find the actual drivers, and manually delete them, then re-install the bootcamp drivers.

You may need to check again if secondary click is checked.

I went through several variations of these steps before I got it to work.

Hope this helps

HadItWithWindow

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
Boot Camp drivers are always a mystery to me and very hard to find.

Do you get Boot Camp Drivers from the Mac side? How do they get into the Win8 side? Win 8 is not working well at all on my MBP.

I have an early 08 Mac partitioned and just downloaded Win8. Works pretty well. Video's freeze sometimes and IE quits and a single click reopens where you were. Annoying but not too bad.

My

OutGolfn

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
I got this to work by going into device manager and seeing the two "Yellow" devices for the trackpad. Right click and update the drivers by first selecting the generic usb drivers. then go back and update the drivers again but this time select the apple multi touch driver.(make sure to do it in this order)

That did it for me and both started working. Also go into control panel, bootcamp, trackpad/mouse and check the boxes you want to work.

millsy

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2006
Somewhere in time/space
I had the same issue with my trackpad after installing Windows 8. I upgraded to 8 from 7 rather than a clean install. To fix the issue I went to the start menu, upper right hot corner, settings, change pc settings, general, refresh your pc. After the refresh I reinstalled the boot camp 4.0 drivers I had on an external usb drive and now everything is working.

BileGhost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Thanks for the responses guys. After posting this topic, and seeing no replies (with suggestions) for many hours, I ignored the problem and went about doing what I could without it (It turns out that Shift+F10 (Shift+Fn+F10 if you've got the secondary function as main) shows the context menu in Windows, so I managed OK.

Then, it suddenly started working, I've switched back and forwards between Windows and OS X a few times, so all the restarting may have been it, but I have a feeling the Windows update that happened on the last restart may have helped fix it! (up till then I was running the original Windows 8 release day version, before any updates).

Now I have another question, is everyone else getting a black screen for a solid 3-4 minutes between the Windows loading screen and the log in screen? :confused:

BileGhost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008

Just me then... it just goes black (backlight stays on, though), and it sits there doing nothing, until you hear the harddrive spin down. Then it suddenly starts up again, and a couple of seconds later it shows the log in screen!

Not as big of a deal as the trackpad, as I'm reasonably patient, it just seems a little weird.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Just me then... it just goes black (backlight stays on, though), and it sits there doing nothing, until you hear the harddrive spin down. Then it suddenly starts up again, and a couple of seconds later it shows the log in screen!

Not as big of a deal as the trackpad, as I'm reasonably patient, it just seems a little weird.

my computer is a ssd, maybe its normal for hdd :)

BileGhost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
my computer is a ssd, maybe its normal for hdd :)
You'd expect it to take longer, but it doesn't even appear to be doing anything[i/]. I don't know, maybe, like my trackpad problem, it will fix itself
*waits hopefully*

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
My trackpad works fine.

Uninstall boot camp drivers, then run the setup as administrator AND with Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.