Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rubined

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
I have an iPhone 5. Can I take out the sim and put it in my ipad mini (AT&T) and maintain unlimited Internet on the mini? If so, what do I do with my iPhone 5 to get service back? Thanks.

fsamara

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
Why not? They are both from the same provider, and use the same data plan. Can someone explain why this is not possible?

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Why not? They are both from the same provider, and use the same data plan. Can someone explain why this is not possible?

FWIW, my AT&T iPhone unlimited sim works in my Verizon iPad. It's only 3G speeds, but it works.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
If AT&T detects that you're using an iPhone sim card in you iPad (which they can do), they will cancel your unlimited data.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I'm in UK and using my Three nano sim from my iPhone 5 in the mini. Even tho everyone told me it wouldn't work.

We're lucky in the UK with Three - excellent pricing and virtually no restrictions imposed. I spend 8.90 pounds/month (=14 USD) for 200 mins, 3000 texts and 500mb data - and I can also use the hotspot function for my laptop without issue even though it formally is not allowed. At least they don't block it.

Update: ha ha, just after I wrote the above I got a tethering warning from three telling me that I should contact them if I want to tether. I never got that with pay as you go, so I assume they enforce only on monthly plans?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.