Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Here's the deal, I currently use a 2009 MBP that is circling the drain. I plan on buying a new MBP this holiday season, but my iPhone 5 is currently synced to the old one, and from what I remember, iPhones can only be 'married' to one system, so when I connect it to transfer music/pics, etc its going to tell me I must delete everything first.

Well, I want to avoid that, and I backup my phone to icloud and iTunes, call me old fashioned. Just wondering how I can somehow save the iPhone to iTunes marriage so when I get my new MBP, I can just tweak a setting or two, paste a file, or something so that basically it recognizes my iPhone and won't ask to delete it...

Any ideas?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Here's the deal, I currently use a 2009 MBP that is circling the drain. I plan on buying a new MBP this holiday season, but my iPhone 5 is currently synced to the old one, and from what I remember, iPhones can only be 'married' to one system, so when I connect it to transfer music/pics, etc its going to tell me I must delete everything first.

Well, I want to avoid that, and I backup my phone to icloud and iTunes, call me old fashioned. Just wondering how I can somehow save the iPhone to iTunes marriage so when I get my new MBP, I can just tweak a setting or two, paste a file, or something so that basically it recognizes my iPhone and won't ask to delete it...

Any ideas?

Use TM, Carbon Cloner or anything like that, restore on your new computer, you're set.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Yeah I want to start fresh though, and I just don't want to deal with all the clutter of my old system. I haven't deleted anything in 3 years +, I am looking to start fresh but still getting iTunes to recognize my iPhone 5...is it as easy as saving the iPhone backups and pasting them back into the folder?

I just want a fresh new MBP but still retaining my iPhone 5 connection, and then I will start fresh with TM. Is this possible?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
To elaborate on this, if you use TM, CC, or Migration Assistant (my favorite) then the iPhone will basically think the new computer is the old computer. So that's how these methods work.
Thanks for clarifying, was posting and running earlier.

Yeah I want to start fresh though, and I just don't want to deal with all the clutter of my old system. I haven't deleted anything in 3 years +, I am looking to start fresh but still getting iTunes to recognize my iPhone 5...is it as easy as saving the iPhone backups and pasting them back into the folder?

I just want a fresh new MBP but still retaining my iPhone 5 connection, and then I will start fresh with TM. Is this possible?

Yes, this will work. The best was is to copy your entire music folder over, plus the backups which are located here: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Put everying in the same place on your new comp and you'll be fine.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Also, don't forget to "deactivate" you old MacBook from your iTunes account. You are only allowed a few devices on your account and if you reach the limit, I believe you have to call Apple and have them reset all your devices (at least that is what I had to do a couple of years ago).

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Also, don't forget to "deactivate" you old MacBook from your iTunes account. You are only allowed a few devices on your account and if you reach the limit, I believe you have to call Apple and have them reset all your devices (at least that is what I had to do a couple of years ago).

thanks for heads up, doing all this now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.