Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Besides pushing the side button down to silence the phone. Can the iPhone 5 be silenced through the settings. My wife has an otterbox and it's a pain to move case to push physical button. Surely there is a way through settings or pushing the volume down. Please help

BigEm

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Do not disturb? :D

Or you can activate Assistive Touch.. go to Settings>General>Accessibility>AssistiveTouch

Turn it on..

Then a circle button will appear on the springboard.
Press it. click device. click mute/unmute.

I haven't tried if it works. My phone is always is silent mode.

Tell me if it works. ;)

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
How does do not disturb work. Will it allow for ringtones and alerts texts to be silent.

BigEm

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5463

Here you go. I think do not disturb will put everything in silent with some exceptions.

Or you can do the mute/unmute from assistive touch if you're looking for a way to mute/unmute everything without touching the physical buttons.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Help

Is there an app that could put on homepage to silence the phone? Seems like there would be a switch for silent wifi Bluetooth etc thanks.

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
Like mentioned above, it can be done through assistive touch. Settings->General->Accessibility->AssistiveTouch

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 244

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Perhaps this is a jerky thing to say, but it's the first thought I had:

If your wife has a case that impedes the use of the phone's basic functions, maybe she needs to buy a better case. There are thousands that don't do that.

(Including some models by Otterbox themselves. My father-in-law has the one your wife does but my dad has another Otterbox which isn't quite so antagonistic.)

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

If your wife has a case that impedes the use of the phone's basic functions, maybe she needs to buy a better case. There are thousands that don't do that.

I agree. A case for the phone should not be one that makes pressing of buttons difficult. Get a better case.

The Assistive Touch solution works as well.

lovetamarav

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011

(Including some models by Otterbox themselves. My father-in-law has the one your wife does but my dad has another Otterbox which isn't quite so antagonistic.)

I was thinking the same thing!

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
No

No that was not jerky or rude that is what she said she wants another case. I just got her the otterbox defender to keep it protected.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
No that was not jerky or rude that is what she said she wants another case. I just got her the otterbox defender to keep it protected.

Try letting your wife pick a case if she even wants one at all. Any accessory that inhibits basic function of a device is worthless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.