Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Me and my wife have IPhone 5s and maps work great, voice is perfect. A few days ago my Brother and Sister-n-law both got IPhone 5s and I can't get voice to work on either one in Apple maps. Siri works, sound works on every thing else just not maps. Sound is checked loud on all 4 phones in the map settings screen, all Verizon, all in VA. I finally gave up and told them I'd ask here and see what ideals are out there, nearest Apple store is 2.5 hours away so that's not an option.

It's strange, we were all 4 sitting on a couch, typed in the exact same place and hit start, me and my wife's phone spoke the first directions and the other 2 just showed the directions on the screen???

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Me and my wife have IPhone 5s and maps work great, voice is perfect. A few days ago my Brother and Sister-n-law both got IPhone 5s and I can't get voice to work on either one in Apple maps. Siri works, sound works on every thing else just not maps. Sound is checked loud on all 4 phones in the map settings screen, all Verizon, all in VA. I finally gave up and told them I'd ask here and see what ideals are out there, nearest Apple store is 2.5 hours away so that's not an option.

It's strange, we were all 4 sitting on a couch, typed in the exact same place and hit start, me and my wife's phone spoke the first directions and the other 2 just showed the directions on the screen???

It might sound silly, but check your phone is not in silent and that volume is up. In Settings > Sounds, make sure 'Change with Buttons' is turned off. Sometimes that can have an effect on sounds.

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
It might sound silly, but check your phone is not in silent and that volume is up. In Settings > Sounds, make sure 'Change with Buttons' is turned off. Sometimes that can have an effect on sounds.

Thanks for the idea, I have checked the volume setting in everything I can think of, Siri is even loud and clear, all other phone sounds are ok, just not maps :confused:.

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
Press and hold the home button. Wait for Siri to come up. Press the small speaker icon to right area. See if it shows iPhone Speaker or some other device like bluetooth. I had that problem.

berylrb

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
change buttons to off

Changing the settings/sounds/ "change with buttons" setting to "off" worked for me, whew, sound restored.

Coming home from Christmas dinner with the mum in law and family, I had to use NeverLost in my Hertz rental, ugh!

coffeemomma

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2015
same issue

Im having same issues with mine. Went to store to trouble shoot, and yes we tried even all the above recommendations. Verdict: Their replacing the Phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.