Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
I am new to macs...and read somewhere in the forums that some people immediately download or firefox and use that instead of safari.

Just curious if I could get some info on why to use one vs the other?

why do you like one over the other.

Thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Personal preference. I prefer safari on my Mac but use chrome on my work pc.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
I think Safari 6 has actually got the best UI experience and speed, but it's lack of cookie-handling and privacy controls make it all but unusable. I end up using Firefox because even with the best Safari extensions, you still can't individually whitelist or blacklist cookies to selectively prevent installation of the ones you don't want while allowing use of the ones that you do. Amateur hour.

---

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I think Safari 6 has actually got the best UI experience and speed, but it's lack of cookie-handling and privacy controls make it all but unusable. I end up using Firefox because even with the best Safari extensions, you still can't individually whitelist or blacklist cookies to selectively prevent installation of the ones you don't want while allowing use of the ones that you do. Amateur hour.

---

Have you tried the Ghostery Safari Extension? It manages cookies pretty well, I think. I've been using it for about a year or so. You can whitelist things.

To the OP, I use Safari on my 2011 iMac and like it a lot. (Check out the Extensions Gallery). I used to use Firefox on my PPC iMac, which was great but prefer Safari on the new machine. :)

Last edited:

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
I love Safari, its native to your system and optimized for it. Stick with that you will be alright. :apple:

wcdamsch

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Safari works great for 90% of the sites I frequent. It can be picky on going back to a previous page. I think this has something to do with the multi-touch gestures native to IOS. Firefox is a mess in my opinion. Chrome works well though.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Safari is great, firefox always seems bloated to me with too many advantaged options that id never use.

Chrome is pretty nice if for some reason you dont like safari.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Have you tried the Ghostery Safari Extension? It manages cookies pretty well, I think. I've been using it for about a year or so. You can whitelist things.

I do have the Ghostery extension, but the version that I have doesn't manage cookies (like it can in Firefox). The best cookie manager for Safari is probably Safari Cookies, which also has a whitelist feature. But because Safari doesn't have a native whitelist, you can't globally set it not to accept cookies except for those on your whitelist. Rather you have to set it to globally accept cookies and then the add-ons will delete those which are not on your whitelist on either a timed basis or when you exit from the browser. Pretty much any way you set it you're going to end up with a lot of cookies on your system that you don't want. As I said, amateur hour.

I would be glad to hear of any other solutions.

---

Untethered

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
Boston, Ma
A thought!

Well, fist you must know that I have literally no way of determining what browser you choose. Firefox has a beautiful interface, while Google Chrome has blazing speeds, and Safari is somewhere in the middle. If you were to take my advise, I would prefer Safari because it's a mix of everything, allowing that sort of "feeling."
Best Regards,​
Untethered​

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
It all depends on the hardware. I have PowerPC Macs, so I pick highly optimized browsers for them. On the MBP I am using, I just use Safari or Chrome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.