Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I've seen a few folks hazarding a guess as to the upgrade cycle for tablets. And I think that is a question for a lot of folks. I would like to do a poll, but I don't know how to add one to a thread. But anyway, my question is for people who bought the iPad 1. Have you bought another tablet since then? What did you do with your iPad 1.

Me, I bought iPad 1, I then bought iPad 3 and gave my 1 to my sister. I've also bought a basic kindle e-reader since I bought 1 and I've just ordered a Nexus 7 (with cell).

So I'm looking at an upgrade cycle of about a new tablet every year. I suspect that is a touch high, but I bet it isn't that far out of the ordinary.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
I bought an iPad 1 on release day (I still remember the serious case of "phantom doorbell" I came down with). I upgraded to an iPad 3 because by then their were apps that needed the extra memory, plus the camera was useful. I've now sidegraded to an iPad Mini for the better portability.

I'm hoping not to need an upgrade for a couple of years. I'm in the camp that thinks a retina screen won't appear in the Mini 2.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
My wife and I both had iPad 1s (16gb - mine with cellular, hers without).

We both upgraded to iPad 3s (32gb - mine with cellular, hers without again) earlier this year.

A two-year cycle seems sensible for this sorta hardware - it's about what we do with iPhones too.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I had an iPad 1 since release (And still have it) and I was planning on getting a Mni until it didn't have a retina then I kinda realised reading more into it that it was basically an iPad 2.

With that I went and got a 4 and I am VERY happy with my choice. A heck of an upgrade for me.

I doubt very much I will upgrade this for a similar amount of time to what I had the with the iPad 1.

I don't have another tablet (Except the 1) and see no need for one. I do however have one for work, but that has different purposes.

I also own and iPhone 5 and a retina 15" MBP (Which replaced my 2008 13" pro).

The only device I regularly upgrade is my phone and that is only every 2 years. (E.g 4 - 5, 5 - 6) kinda cycle.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Well i loved my iPad 1 From launch day a lllllllll the waaaayyyyy back in 2010, but it was never reliable after upgrading to IOS5 due the lack of RAM (crashing apps etc). It was so bad i was sure i'd buy whatever revision of iPad came out after then so i pre-ordered an iPad 3 literally the minute it was available from Apple lol

kaldezar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
London, England
Ipad 2 is more than sufficient upgrade from Ipad 1

I've seen a few folks hazarding a guess as to the upgrade cycle for tablets. And I think that is a question for a lot of folks. I would like to do a poll, but I don't know how to add one to a thread. But anyway, my question is for people who bought the iPad 1. Have you bought another tablet since then? What did you do with your iPad 1.

Me, I bought iPad 1, I then bought iPad 3 and gave my 1 to my sister. I've also bought a basic kindle e-reader since I bought 1 and I've just ordered a Nexus 7 (with cell).

So I'm looking at an upgrade cycle of about a new tablet every year. I suspect that is a touch high, but I bet it isn't that far out of the ordinary.

Id agree that's a touch high, bought ipad1 on day one (Apple delivered a day early, sauntered past the Apple store lines casually toting it whilst the crowds waited for the store to open!) Bought a refurbed wifi/3G ipad 2 when Ipad3 was announced which I am more than happy with, have no real desire or need for ipad 3/4, slight hankering for iphone 5 (I have iphone4S) which my son has, love the light weight! Really pleased I bought Apple Stock at $125!http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/...cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Got an iPad 1 just 30 minutes after release (which Apple met the "in April" release promise on April 31 at 5PM).
Upgraded to an iPad 4 a few weeks ago (needed for app development).
Still drag the 1 around, slowly transferring stuff from one to the other. It will go to my wife and/or kids.

Hamburger

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
bought iPad1 on release day in Germany, moved on to iPad mini, but iPad1 still frequently used by my daughter.

AMC89

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2012
Bought iPad 1 on release day. Just received iPad 4 for my birthday. Chuffed to bits as my other half shared the 1 and managed to put a deep scratch on the screen and a few dents on the back. She still uses the 1

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Bought the iPad 1 when it came out. Upgraded pretty quickly to the iPad 2 when it came out, because of the lack of RAM. Websites crashing and slowing the iPad down constantly was so annoying.

Still getting out of memory warnings on my iPad 2, but it is much better now, although I still consider going for more RAM... The new ones are just so slow to charge.. :(

ZolakJHS

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
I have 2 iPad 1s (64 GB cellular), one I got new and the other used. Recently I upgraded to a Mini, but we are keeping the iPad 1s for the kids. If they break one, I guess it would make me less upset than if they broke a new one! :D

For kids games and videos the iPad 1 still works great.

apple-ette

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2009
I have a 1st gen iPad (also got it on launch day), so far none of the new iterations have tempted me seriously to upgrade. The 1, while slow at times and even though some apps can't be updated (since I can't upgrade to iOS 6), still meets my tablet needs. Maybe the next one will have something that I deem worth it.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
So so far only two people have responded saying they've bought the iPad 1 and haven't yet upgraded. And one suspects that they are buying the 5. So across the board we are looking at on average two year upgrade cycles for the iPad. At least out of this small sample of early adopters. Most people are handing off the iPad 1 to a loved one, which is minimizing the upgrade cost. That may be harder to do as tablets become more ubiquitous.

When I got the iPad 3 I thought it would be closer to a 3 year ownership device for me. After all, it had a retina screen (so it can't get any sharper) and LTE connection (so it can't get any faster in connecting). Now nine months later I've ordered a Nexus 7. And I'm kind of certain that I'm getting either iPad 6 or Mini 3. So I've got tablet buys in 2012, 2013 and almost certainly one coming in 2014. Basically I'm not seeing this upgrade cycle as any different from my "new every two" phone cycle. Interesting, huh?

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Got an ipad 1 around the release date and upgraded the first week the 3 came out because I knew that the original wouldn't be supported anymore with new software. Sold it to a relative for pretty much nothing and she uses it everyday to read, surf the web and other basic tasks.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I bought an iPad 1 about a month after release. I haven't upgraded it. I'm tempted by the mini now. I find myself reaching for the MBP more than the iPad though. Just not using the iPad that much, so struggling to justify the mini right now.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I got my ipad 1 in early September 2010 and my mini just a few weeks ago. I was feeling that the ipad 1 was getting slow and that some apps were crashing because of lack of memory (especially Safari). To be honest, I could have comfortably continued using it until next summer but I was too excited about the mini...

I'd say a 2 1/2 to 3 year cycle is about right unless there's a particular need to upgrade earlier.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Still have my iPad 1.

I use it casually, I'm just waiting on a Retina display iPad Mini.

I'm in no rush to hurry.

Got it in Dec 2010 so its been 2 years now.

beauparc

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
Anglesey
Got my iPad1 on release. Upgraded to 5.1 and it is still working perfectly.

I have no intention of getting a newer version until this one gives up the ghost because it still does what I want it to do.

iAll

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
SE NH
I got a 1 3G back in 2010 mainly for use on motorcycle adventures and at my remote lakeside cottage as an incredible GPS and/or for information portability, including email access. I now also use it on the treadmill so I can watch old westerns (Netflix) that help the miles to pass by. I also use it in bed for browsing. I do like being able to turn the 3G on and off. My buddy has had 1 thru 3 of these and has moved on the to the new mini. It doesn't impress me all that much.

I may get a new iPad 4 or newer, but probably not the mini; for sure it will be LTE. That's if I decide to upgrade at all and pass the 1 on to a family member; it still works GREAT!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I went from the iPad 1 to the iPad mini. I saw no reason to get the 2, 3 or 4 tbh.

The mini has the features I'm looking for.

My wife is still on the iPad 1 and she's happy with it so, much that she'll not be upgrading yet.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
I am still using my ipad1 which I got on release day in Japan (delayed slightly due to the earthquake/tsunami.)

It was awful for quite a while on 5.1, so I did a full restore, and started again from scratch with only a few apps.
It is now usable, nothing lightning fast or anything, but I can use safari and the app store now without it crashing. If I don't use my wife's Ipad 2 for a while I get used to the speed and it isn't so bad.

I have basically been holding out for a good replacement.
The ipad 2 might be it, but at this stage I am going to wait for either the ipad mini2 or the ipad 5.. it will probably only be about 5 months away.
I have a feeling that they will update like the laptops at around twice a year.

I just have to stop looking at the ipad minis, as they are fantastically sized. Much better than I originally thought they would be.

The ipad2 is certainly fast enough for me, but having been burnt a little on the update situation, I am a little hesitant to buy an ipad with an a5 chip.

andychelt

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
Got an iPad 1 when they first came out, still use it everyday. Now and again can seem a little slow but does everything I want/need it to.

Posted from my iPad 1! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.