Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So my optical drive slot was getting stuck, so I took it into the Apple Store to get it fixed. Turns out you need to replace the entire chassis if that thing breaks!

Well I got my machine back today.

They replaced the entire chassis, with a new…
-Chassis
-Side cover
-Four new HDD sleds (when I had none installed)
-3 PCI cover brackets (I guess you'd get 4 if you only have a single slot GPU)
-Optical drive sled
-Motherboard brackets
-Fans

All for $150 including tax.

So for $150 (less if you don't have tax in your state), if your Mac Pro is in poor shape, or lost some sleds, etc., you get new ones.

I don't think anyone should abuse this, but I thought this would be good to know.

fungus

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
@unclefungus
I'm wondering... did you get a new serial number, or did they somehow swap the little label out below the graphics slot?

Pretty good deal, though. Good to know.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm wondering... did you get a new serial number, or did they somehow swap the little label out below the graphics slot?

Pretty good deal, though. Good to know.

Same serial number. They removed the label from the old chassis and reapplied it to the new one. So it looks pretty bad there, unfortunately.

fungus

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
@unclefungus
Yeah, mine looks like it's not made to be pried up. As you would expect with a serial number. That's an unfortunate side effect, but still a nice deal.

teameurox

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
So my optical drive slot was getting stuck, so I took it into the Apple Store to get it fixed. Turns out you need to replace the entire chassis if that thing breaks!

Well I got my machine back today.

They replaced the entire chassis, with a new…
-Chassis
-Side cover
-Four new HDD sleds (when I had none installed)
-3 PCI cover brackets (I guess you'd get 4 if you only have a single slot GPU)
-Optical drive sled
-Motherboard brackets
-Fans

All for $150 including tax.

So for $150 (less if you don't have tax in your state), if your Mac Pro is in poor shape, or lost some sleds, etc., you get new ones.

I don't think anyone should abuse this, but I thought this would be good to know.

What model is your mac pro and was it under any kind of apple care? I wouldn't mind to get a clean up on mine

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
Gonna quote my favourite tv show here:

do i look like some kind of nob? ... DO I? DOO I?

Look at his sig a bit closer dude, the first mac listed.

My mistake,Dud but thought you were referring to the OP. Its very common to see people getting the wrong end of the stick between MP & MBP.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
My mistake,Dud but thought you were referring to the OP. Its very common to see people getting the wrong end of the stick between MP & MBP.

Yeah haha, I see people getting MP and MBP mixed up all the time.
It's okay dude.
I recently said to a friend, "I'm looking into getting a mac pro, I'm sick of using a high end gaming platform for a workstation (referring to my custom pc)"

He replied by exclaiming that I already have a Mac Pro. When he meant macbook pro. Ugh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.