Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShrubbySoup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
UK
Sorry, I don't know where to post this so I'm sorry in advance.

Would it be worth it to buy OSX Dev from Apple just for the OSX beta releases?
Also, if I was to do this, how would i go about installing the new beta's that are released, Step by step? Because I don't want to go out and buy this and then be told that I can't install them :D

Thanks, Shrubby

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its up to you, Apple has been charging 30 dollars for its operating system, so you want to spend a 100 just for the benefit of installing the beta. If you have the money, go for it

Boris A

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
What do you mean if it's "worth"?

If you want the beta, then it's worth it. If you don't want it, it isn't.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Sorry, I don't know where to post this so I'm sorry in advance.

Also, if I was to do this, how would i go about installing the new beta's that are released, Step by step? Because I don't want to go out and buy this and then be told that I can't install them :D

Thanks, Shrubby
Is it worth the extra money for a month or so of usage. Also, As a beta there will be bugs, sometimes bad ones. You may have to restore your machine from backpack one or more time during the beta if you run into issues. Also not all of the software you run will work under the beta and will require updates which may not be available until the end of the beta.

Its up to you, Apple has been charging 30 dollars for its operating system, so you want to spend a 100 just for the benefit of installing the beta. If you have the money, go for it
i thought it was $20 US for the last couple of releases.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
I see a few steps of thinking of it

1) Are you rich and want to throw money at Apple (buy it)
2) Are you experiencing troubles that are making it hard to use your computer that are fixed in the beta (buy it)
3) Are none of the above true (don't buy it)

__

On the topic of installing the updates, you get them pushed to you via the app store just like any other update once you install the developer seed configuration utility.

Occasionally they have released builds that you have to manually download and install but it's so easy a caveman could do it. Literally just download the dmg and run installer.

Last edited by a moderator:

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
On a side note, the. iOS developer account is more worth it.

----------

Is it worth the extra money for a month or so of usage. Also, As a beta there will be bugs, sometimes bad ones. You may have to restore your machine from backpack one or more time during the beta if you run into issues. Also not all of the software you run will work under the beta and will require updates which may not be available until the end of the beta.

In my experience there aren't many software breaking bugs when you upgrade to betas, eg. 10.8.3 to 10.8.4 beta.

Most breaking bugs come when you go for a major software upgrade. Like 10.8 to 10.9 and there are lots of them.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

In my experience there aren't many software breaking bugs when you upgrade to betas, eg. 10.8.3 to 10.8.4 beta.

Most breaking bugs come when you go for a major software upgrade. Like 10.8 to 10.9 and there are lots of them.
I was talking about major betas. Although the point betas can still have issues. And all of that does require that the person be prepared to restore their system.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
You should ONLY install a beta OS for the purpose of TESTING: either testing that the OS works as it should, or testing that the software you write works under the new OS.

You should install any beta OS on a separate partition that can be removed with no difficulty. You should not overwrite your main system installation with a beta.

You should not buy in to the DEVELOPER program just because you want the "latest" software. :D

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
If I was a developer I would only install osx Beta versions on a dedicated machine, keeping a separate machine for developing the software. Beta software can cause all kinds of issues and if you don't know what you are doing you will have a mess.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If I was a developer I would only install osx Beta versions on a dedicated machine, keeping a separate machine for developing the software. Beta software can cause all kinds of issues and if you don't know what you are doing you will have a mess.

This is what apple recommends, they advocate using it on a machine that won't impact you if things go south, i.e., not used or needed for mission critical tasks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.