Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kandews

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
I have an iBook G4 (1.25g memory and 1ghz processor) running Tiger. I have never had any problems with my iBook in the past and now it seems the second my warranty expires i do.

I was using it earlier today and the entire thing just locked up for the first time ever and little lines started appearing on the screen. I turned it off and rebooted it and it froze on the Grey screen, i repeated and it keeps doing the same things. It actually loaded a few times and then promptly froze.

I tried booting from the CD and it freezes right on the screen to select your language(if it gets that far). I went into applejack/single user (which runs fine) and repaired disk/repaired permissions/cleaned up system files/ and cleaned up virtual memory. I also used the fsck -y check disk which I'm assuming is the same as typing in 'applejack' and then selecting 1 (But I thought I would use it anyway). The first time i ran fsck it said it changed a system file. I then ran it again and it said that the HD seemed okay. Assuming that fixed the problem i restarted my computer and it froze...again.

Any ideas? Or is there a way to reformat from single user? There is nothing I am worried about losing I just need my computer back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.