Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RubberShoes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
After looking around on the forums I've yet to find a clear answer to my question. Is there a HDTV tuner that will allow me to display a 1080i signal from my xbox 360 (through component or VGA) right onto the iMac display? I know Eglato makes the EyeTV but that's only a 480i composite plug.

I'm wondering if there are any other tuners that will allow me to do this, having an actual TV Tuner is not a big deal to me, just a simple component/VGA input to USB converter...

Any Ideas?

PS: I don't think it needs to be compatible with OS X either, I will be dual-booting Vista as well so I can use Windows too

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Would a VGA box work? I don't know anything about them, I just know my roomie ahs one on his PC. If you are going to be using Bootcamp, it might be worth looking into.

glennyboiwpg

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
hmmmmm... you can't use a "vga" anything to use as the input for video and expect to get any kind of 1080i signal.

The only inputs that support HD would be HDMI, DVI (DVI IN) USB or Firewire I guess could but you would have to get some sort of HDMI to USB cable. (Or DVI to firewire, etc)

Or am I wrong?

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
Sorry you are wrong about vga not doing 1080i.. i used to have my xbox hooked up to my dell monitor with the microsoft vga converter and that was the only way to get 1080P out of the xbox at that time. Now they patched the xbox where you can get 1080p through component also.

But to hook up to your imac? i'm not sure but sounds like more work then worth. Sorry I couldnt help more

Zack

dannewell15

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
try the eyetv line of tuners...i use my macbook with my 360 all the time.
good luck

Hey. I was just wondering, I have a Hybrid and a Macbook which I currently use with my PS2. What does the Xbox 360 look like and play like using the Hybrid? Is there any latency or lag?

If it wouldn't be to much hassle, could you post a couple of screen shots of native size for the window and full screen at 1280x800? Thanks! :)

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
Hey. I was just wondering, I have a Hybrid and a Macbook which I currently use with my PS2. What does the Xbox 360 look like and play like using the Hybrid? Is there any latency or lag?

If it wouldn't be to much hassle, could you post a couple of screen shots of native size for the window and full screen at 1280x800? Thanks! :)
there is not horrible lag...but a little...not good for online play. i will post a few shots in a couple of days when i am back home:eek:

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
The ElGato hybrid has a "Game Mode" that is supposedly lag free. So any video input (composite or s-video) will work fine for games.

The only problem is that neither of these inputs are HD. They only support 480p, so thats the best resolution you can use. There are currently no HD input boxes for OS X (or Windows) that I know of.

drpiety

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Have to warm up this, the eyetv EZ seems unavailable anymore. Is there an alternative to use the Imac with the XBOX 360?

tuna

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2010/06/kanex-xd-review-your-27-imac-now-plays-nice-with-your-ps3.ars

As others have said the iMac mDP input it limited to 720p, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem for the Xbox 360 as very few games run at 1080p native. Microsoft is a little "fraud-y" because most of the games that have the "1080p" badge on their case are actually running 1080p upscaled from 720p or less. For example, with Halo 3 they had the gall to write "1080p" on the back when the game was actually running at 640p native.

BengalDuck

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
...are the lag and the avoid online play warnings from a few years ago still valid with these upgraded, expensive converters?

LPPanther

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
http://www.atlona.com/ATLONA-HDMI-MINI-DISPLAYPORT-TO-MINI-DISPLAYPORT-SCALER-AND-SWITCHER.html

it's $280 from the site, but can be found around $240 online at other places.

takes the 1080p signal and outputs it at 2560x1440 on your imac 27 inch.

IMO looks the best out of all the other ones that can only output at 720p, but I believe it would look best if apple allowed 1080p output on the imac.

$185 here. I've done my research and this is the only way to get 1080p and this is the cheapest price I have found.

myselfdasilva

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
IMAC 24 monitor

Guys, let me bring this issue on using IMAC 24" as an external monitor.

I do understand IMAC 24" (differently from the IMAC 27") doesn't have input port, therefore one would assume it cannot be used as external monitor. However, I have a MAC digital TV tuner which uses the USB port of my IMAC 24", so I can watch crystal clear realtime TV.

Why wouldn't I be able to display video from an equipment with VGA or DVI-A output on my IMAC 24" as long as I have VGA-USB or VGA-DVI-A converter?

I guess I would need also a driver so the IMAC would recognize the equipment.

Any thoughts?

Best regards,

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
is there anything that works with the 27" Thunderbolt Display?

AFAIK nope... or, there are some recording stuffs that may be used for just transmitting video signal from xbox to imac, but it is costly and I am not sure whether it works 100 %... only hope is next xbox with thunderbolt output.. how much possible is that, onl y ballmer knows (but I wouldnt put my money on it)

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
You best bet would be BMD Intensity though the issue is going to be lag IMHO... I've tried it before with a PS3 and XBOX360, it's "playable" but can get a little laggy from frame drops for long use.

I'd recommend running at 720p as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.