Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
My UK iPhone (not jailbroken) has been syncing fine since I got it on Nov 9th.

But, today, it's been refusing to sync. iTunes simply stays on "Syncing "iPhone"", and doesn't make any progress like it usually does. 30 minutes later, and it's still there.

I've tried rebooting my Mac, my iPhone, but it's just the same. I've not changed anything recently on either device, so I can't understand why this is suddenly happening.

Can anyone help, please?

chrisblore

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
Essex, UK
My UK iPhone (not jailbroken) has been syncing fine since I got it on Nov 9th.

But, today, it's been refusing to sync. iTunes simply stays on "Syncing "iPhone"", and doesn't make any progress like it usually does. 30 minutes later, and it's still there.

I've tried rebooting my Mac, my iPhone, but it's just the same. I've not changed anything recently on either device, so I can't understand why this is suddenly happening.

Can anyone help, please?

There have been numerous threads about this on the official Apple forums about this in the last few days and it seems to be a fairly recent and widespread problem. I've submitted a feedback report to Apple and am rather hoping that they will acknowledge the issue and release a quick fix as this renders my iPhone practically useless, particularly at the moment as I am annoyed about O2 and CPW being very sluggish in porting my number over. :mad:

Having received this thing as a Christmas present costing £269, one would expect it to do what it is supposed to do and instead I'm carrying around the equivalent of a Blackberry that only checks my emails every 15 minutes, albeit a very, very cool one. :p

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Well, I had a US iPhone (jailbroken, SIM unlocked) earlier in the year, and this same problem happened once with that, too.

I've sorted it out for now, anyway, by force-quitting iTunes, then relaunching. I tried this many times about an hour ago and it didn't change anything, so god knows why it's just worked again now.

I can't wait for the new update, whenever it comes. I love my iPhone, but it's far from perfect. I have a lot of random Safari crashes, and performance is sluggish a lot of the time - SMS delays when opening, as does Calendar, and others. I'd just like it to be snappier!

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I've been seeing this problem too, since installing the updated version of the latest security update for 10.4.11. The iPhone does sync, but it sits at "Syncing iPhone" for a few minutes before it starts to sync the contacts etc. I'm assuming that it's something to do with the security update: did your problems start after you installed that?

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Update - postings on the Apple support forum indicate that this may be a problem at Apple's end with one of the servers that iTunes tries to contact during the sync process. Try syncing without an internet connection and see if it works - I'm currently in an airport on WiFi and don't want to log out for now, so can't try this but will later on. :)

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Ahh that makes sense, and is good news if it's right!

I've got it working now after force-quitting iTunes for the 10th time and it finally working, but if it happens again, I'll turn off my net connection.

Good work!

chrisblore

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
Essex, UK
Update - postings on the Apple support forum indicate that this may be a problem at Apple's end with one of the servers that iTunes tries to contact during the sync process. Try syncing without an internet connection and see if it works - I'm currently in an airport on WiFi and don't want to log out for now, so can't try this but will later on. :)

I can confirm that this is the work-around for the issue at the moment. Not great by any means, but sufficient until :apple: decide to get their butts in gear and fix it.

Cheers :)

dmetzcher

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2005
NJ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.