Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've ended up with a new icon in my Panther menu bar. It's to the left of the iChat icon, and looks like a pair of binoculars with a "not available" icon underneath it. When I click it, I get a menu with "Not Active", "Message to Administrator", and "Open Remote Desktop Preferences". The first two options are greyed out, and Preferences takes me to Sharing Preferences. How do I get rid of this icon?

For a bit of background, I was looking around in System:Library:CoreServices and clicked on "ARD Agent". I think that has something to do with it. I've rebooted but the icon's still there.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
you must have enabled the Remote Desktop menu. Hold down Option and drag it off. rebooting does not affect menus.

you can also rearrange them by holding down option. and there are several you may add, depending on your hardware and software.

pnw

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Yeah, that's related to Apple Remote Desktop administration.

Go to your Sharing pref pane and click on Apple Remote Desktop and then uncheck the box for "Show status in menu bar".

paul-
My experience with the ARD menu item in Jag is that it comes back on a reboot after command dragging it off. Not sure if Panther does or not.

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by paulwhannel
you must have enabled the Remote Desktop menu. Hold down Option and drag it off. rebooting does not affect menus.

you can also rearrange them by holding down option. and there are several you may add, depending on your hardware and software.

pnw

its actually the Command key you have to hold down

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.