Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scorpion nebula

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Hi everyone,

I've converted from Windows to the new Macbook and have run in to a problem with my printer (Canon MX700). One of the functions I used often when connected to a PC was the double sided printing function. After installing the latest Mac drivers from Canon's American homepage I get a lot of printing options on my mac, but under layout the double sided printing option is marked gray and I'm unable choose this option.

Has anybody noticed something similar using a canon printer? Any ideas concerning how to fix this?

Thanks!

danielbriggs

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
I had a very similar problem.
I have 3 HP printers, (2 inkjet and 1 colour laser), none of them have automatic duplexing. But support manual two sided printing. However I came to print a two sided document today on my HP laser and the two sided printing option was greyed out. Now I used this LOADS in the past, so something must have changed. Turns out some new HP drivers came through on Apple Software Update, and somehow broke the manual duplexing (Driver Version 1.2.0.224). So I deleted the printer and found some older drivers, popped them in, at it worked - the option was no longer greyed out.

I also have a Canon iP4300 printer - however the option was never greyed out for me - manual duplexing has always worked.

So: Try getting some "older" drivers. It may bring back the option for whatever reason.

If not, try opening up System Preferences -> Print and Fax -> Click on the Printer -> Options and Supplies -> Driver Tab. Then look for a duplexing tick box. This needs to be ticked to do 2 sided automatic printing if you printer has a duplexer.

Hope that helps,
Dan

Reactions: mcdudders

drolling

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
Some what was the fix for MX700 Duplex printing?

rosshuggett what worked? I couldn't find the tick box referenced by danielbriggs nor did updated drivers solve the problem.

So how do you get manual duplex (i.e. two-sided) printing to work from a Mac OSX 10.6 to a Canon MX700?

Reactions: jackseve

dholaday

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
Try deleting the printer [systems preferences>print & fax]. Then add it back - when asked if you want to add the printer, look for a checkbox that says something like "duplex printing" and check it. That should enable 2-sided printing option in "Layout"

That worked for me.

Marie310

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
WorkForce 40 Two-Sided is dimmed

There's no tick box, or delete-and-add driver did not work. Help! :confused:

bdeitemeyer

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
Can you guys shed some light on which older drivers have in fact solved this issue for the mx700? Thanks in advance.

horhay063

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
Almost a solution

I am new to mac as well and I have this problem with my canon mx 320 printer. I have found a band-aid for it though. I tried the driver downloads, I really don't know what I am doing though, and it didn't work. So I have found that if you set your printer to print the pages "Normal" instead of reverse order then print the odd pages of the document first. you can pick up the stack of printed papers, flip them over, put them right back into the paper feed and then print the even pages on back of them. Its kind of inconvenient, but it works.

6killer

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2007
Two-Sided (duplex) printing on an Epson WF-3520

1. Get to the PRINT dialogue box from the application.
2. Select the PRINTER... option (generally near the PAGE SETUP button)
3. Click OK/YES to get past the Print Setup dialogue box overrides.
4. Select your Printer
5. Under the LAYOUT pull-down menu under the page range to print (e.g. All vs. From 1 to 1) select Two-Sided Printing Settings
6. Under Two-sided Printing: Select either Long-Edge Binding (left side of page) or Short-Edge Binding (top of page)
7. Select the Document Type
8. Click PRINT

NOTE: You can save this under the PRESETS pull-down at the time by selecting SAVE CURRENT SETTINGS AS PRESET and name it something like: Portrait (Duplex).

Giuly

macrumors 68040
5. In menu under the page range to print (e.g. All vs. From 1 to 1) select Two-Sided Printing Settings

This was grayed out for people, which was the problem. So is it for me, because my printer doesn't have auto-duplexing without an add-on.

You can however print the odd page numbers in normal order (first page first or FIFO; both to select under 'Paper Handling'), then take the stack and insert it with the text facing up and top first, then print even page numbers in reverse order (first page last or FILO). At least that's the way I'm aware of to archive manual duplexing.
Just make sure that you don't end up with non-matching pages because the last page of the document was odd, in that case you have to remove it from the stack before printing the even numbered pages.

Last edited:

G1FT3D

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Hi everyone,

I've converted from Windows to the new Macbook and have run in to a problem with my printer (Canon MX700). One of the functions I used often when connected to a PC was the double sided printing function. After installing the latest Mac drivers from Canon's American homepage I get a lot of printing options on my mac, but under layout the double sided printing option is marked gray and I'm unable choose this option.

Has anybody noticed something similar using a canon printer? Any ideas concerning how to fix this?

Thanks!

tried everything even down graded my driver...

I am Using A Konica Buzhub 600, on mac realized the printers driver was the problem and using the generic laser printer driver, it allowed the duplexing option to be selected. allowing the two sided printing.

ozonnnn

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2013
Venice, CA
Duplexer

This worked for me too, thanks.
4. Select your Printer
5. Under the LAYOUT pull-down menu under the page range to print (e.g. All vs. From 1 to 1) select Two-Sided Printing Settings
6. Under Two-sided Printing: Select either Long-Edge Binding (left side of page) or Short-Edge Binding (top of page)
8. Click PRINT

NOTE: You can save this under the PRESETS pull-down at the time by selecting SAVE CURRENT SETTINGS AS PRESET and name it something like: Portrait (Duplex).

Last edited:

Oorla

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2013
Still need help with duplexing

Hi all,

I have carefully read all the post on this thread to enable duplex.

I have gone into the print and fax on my mac, changed the driver to generic PCL Laser Printer, selected the Duplexer and Ok.

I did notice that the Two-Sided options have now been enabled and so selected the Long-Edge binding. I have also saved it in presets as Portrait Duplex as ozonnnn suggested.

Unfortunately the printer still does not print double sided so I do not know what more to do.

My printer is an HP Laser jet P2035, and just wondering if this is got something to do with specification.

Any help will be much appreciated.

randulo

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2013
Double SIded Printing on Mac OS X (Samsing printer)

FOUND IT!!!
(system)
1. Print and scan
2. Open print queue
3. Driver
4. there should be a check box "Duplex Printing Unit"

Check it. This is what kept it from working for me.

Attachments

• PrinterProxy.png
    PrinterProxy.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 6,753

Grayed-out

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2015
Nope - still no solution

FOUND IT!!!
(system)
1. Print and scan
2. Open print queue
3. Driver
4. there should be a check box "Duplex Printing Unit"

Check it. This is what kept it from working for me.

That didn't work for me. Whether I click "Open Print Queue" and then "Settings", or "Options & Supplies" I get to the same part of the System Preferences for Printers & Scanners. On mine there is no tab or other option for "Driver", only a line saying what the driver is.

My driver is the latest version, downloaded today from the Canon website (accessed from UK). I can't find any way to enable the now grayed-out 2-sided option that was always there before. :(

BTW, please note, fellow-posters, that the original query related to a Canon printer, so your solutions for other brands and models may work on those, but not on Canon. Mine is a PIXMA MG5350, OSX 10.9 Mavericks (soon to be upgraded to Yosemite)

jdwashoe

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
California
Grey out of the two-sided printing appears standard in layout menu choice from 10.6 through Yosemite for many consumer printers. I've had it with HP, Brothers and Epson low and midrange products. If you want two-sided printing you need to change menu choice on print menu from the <app> or 'Layout' option to 'Two-Sided Printing Setting'. Higher end printers and network based printers often allow you to put all those options in the 'Layout' setup.

My Epson Workforce model has further limit on only 2 siding std letter size. Legal and heavy gauge are denied as its smart enough to know they'll jam the paper flipping path.

michellelimwc

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2016
Nope - still no solution

That didn't work for me. Whether I click "Open Print Queue" and then "Settings", or "Options & Supplies" I get to the same part of the System Preferences for Printers & Scanners. On mine there is no tab or other option for "Driver", only a line saying what the driver is.

My driver is the latest version, downloaded today from the Canon website (accessed from UK). I can't find any way to enable the now grayed-out 2-sided option that was always there before. :(

BTW, please note, fellow-posters, that the original query related to a Canon printer, so your solutions for other brands and models may work on those, but not on Canon. Mine is a PIXMA MG5350, OSX 10.9 Mavericks (soon to be upgraded to Yosemite)

Did you manage to find a solution? I am facing the exact same problem

Bagoong

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2016
Taguig, Phillipines
Did you manage to find a solution? I am facing the exact same problem

I see this thread has been going for 6 years, and here I am looking for a solution to the same problem. (Canon E460 - el Capitan)

After a couple of hours of searching, Google brought me to my printer's online manual. Nice one. RTBM time.

And there's the answer; not the answer I wanted, but hey.

To quote from the manual:

The following functions cannot be used in Mac OS, though they can be used in Windows computers.
  • Duplex Printing
  • Booklet Printing
  • Tiling/Poster Printing
http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/M/E460 series/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-c_attention.html

So, I guess going the Odd-Flip-Even route is going to be the solution until Canon fixes it.

And I'd hazard a guess that this will cover all other Canon printers mentioned above, and some that are not yet mentioned either.

Get a hold of your printer's manual, you may find a section titled "Restrictions on the Printer Driver" with similar wording.

Reactions: ferreberremacboi

Stevie. L

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I came to this thread for help with the same thing but then remembered how I solved it last time, maybe this will work for someone else. In Printer settings, click down from Layout and select Printer Features. Underneath in Feature Sets select Layout 1. You should then see 2 sided printing option.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 10.11.37 am.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 10.11.37 am.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 5,750
Reactions: playingteaparty

hideousfurball

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2016
Hello, I have the same Problem, I didn't when I bought the printer, but now have. Nice to find out it has been going on so long with one printer or another. My solution has been to save the file/doc then use my phone/ipad to print. But that is not my reason for joining.
This is.
Dear Canon,
If you read any of these forums, please fix or my next printer will NOT be a canon.
It was bought, it worked, you broke it.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Same problem here, I have a 2-year old Epson Workforce.

Duplex used to work in older versions of OS X + printer drivers, but do not any more. Option is there, as some people have pointed out, but the option is greyed out and cannot be changed.

KyleDixon

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017

4. Select your Printer
8. Click PRINT

[doublepost=1506948401][/doublepost]how do you open the PRINT dialogue box?
[doublepost=1506948525][/doublepost]
I had a very similar problem.
I have 3 HP printers, (2 inkjet and 1 colour laser), none of them have automatic duplexing. But support manual two sided printing. However I came to print a two sided document today on my HP laser and the two sided printing option was greyed out. Now I used this LOADS in the past, so something must have changed. Turns out some new HP drivers came through on Apple Software Update, and somehow broke the manual duplexing (Driver Version 1.2.0.224). So I deleted the printer and found some older drivers, popped them in, at it worked - the option was no longer greyed out.

I also have a Canon iP4300 printer - however the option was never greyed out for me - manual duplexing has always worked.

So: Try getting some "older" drivers. It may bring back the option for whatever reason.

If not, try opening up System Preferences -> Print and Fax -> Click on the Printer -> Options and Supplies -> Driver Tab. Then look for a duplexing tick box. This needs to be ticked to do 2 sided automatic printing if you printer has a duplexer.

Hope that helps,
Dan
My god... we don't need your life story. You forgot to mention your first time eating a pizza bagel in all that.
[doublepost=1506948591][/doublepost]
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
I cannot tell you how much I am relating to you right now... It's sad for me... I think my whole world is ending before my eyes.

stevenpounders

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2018
I solved the problem in this way:

Click on the apple icon in the top left corner of the screen
Select System Preferences
Select Printers & Scanners
Select the printer from the list
Click Options and Supplies
Click the Options tab
Tick the box for Duplex Unit

Then I returned to my application (Microsoft Word) and proceeded in this way:

Click File, then Print
Click on the dropdown menu that starts "Copies & Pages", and select "Layout"
Click on an option from the dropdown menu labelled "Two-Sided" (no longer grayed out)

Dormouse

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2018
I solved the problem in this way:

Click on the apple icon in the top left corner of the screen
Select System Preferences
Select Printers & Scanners
Select the printer from the list
Click Options and Supplies
Click the Options tab
Tick the box for Duplex Unit

Then I returned to my application (Microsoft Word) and proceeded in this way:

Click File, then Print
Click on the dropdown menu that starts "Copies & Pages", and select "Layout"
Click on an option from the dropdown menu labelled "Two-Sided" (no longer grayed out)
[doublepost=1517600125][/doublepost]The solution is simple for a Canon MX860:

My example is for a Safari web page.

1) Select print
2) At the bottom left of the page is PDF - select from the dropdown 'Open in Preview'
3) This will bring up a PDF version of the document
4) Now select print in this version
5) The box which now contains the word 'Preview' is a dropdown one and the item which says 'Duplex Printing & Margin' can now be selected
6) By choosing other dropdowns you can also change the number of pages per sheet etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.