Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KungPaoKitty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Hello. I'm trying to sell my iPhone 3GS 4.0.1 that I unlocked but I need to know for sure if it's unlocked and will work with T-Mobile. I installed ultrasn0w but I don't know anyone with a T-Mobile SIM that I can try it out with.

I have heard that you can test it buy simply using another AT&T SIM card, which I did, and I was able to make calls with it. Can you normally use other AT&T SIMs without unlocking it?

Thanks, much appreciated guys.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Hello. I'm trying to sell my iPhone 3GS 4.0.1 that I unlocked but I need to know for sure if it's unlocked and will work with T-Mobile. I installed ultrasn0w but I don't know anyone with a T-Mobile SIM that I can try it out with.

I have heard that you can test it buy simply using another AT&T SIM card, which I did, and I was able to make calls with it. Can you normally use other AT&T SIMs without unlocking it?

Thanks, much appreciated guys.

I was able to swap my AT&T card into another iPhone that was not unlocked and it worked fine. So, I would not rely on that test to determine whether it is unlocked or not.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
You can go to the T-Mobile store and ask to try a T-Mobile phone to see if you can set up service on your 3GS. They will probably let you test a T-Mobile SIM to make sure it will work.

KungPaoKitty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Yeah that's what I thought. Darn. I wonder if I can pick up one of those pay-as-you-go T-Mobile phones at Wal-mart and try it out...

KungPaoKitty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Dont sweat it. If you have ultrasnow installed and it's displayed tru cydia/manage/packages then it's unlocked.

Yes it's displayed in Cydia. I guess I'll either buy a cheap pay-as-you-go phone or take the leap of faith.. Unfortunately I have no T-Mobile locations in my area lol

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
I have several simcards... If you're in New England area I can give one to you lol :eek: (mostly unused/expired simcard but you'll still see a signal if the phone is unlocked)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.