Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
I just got myself a new dual800 G4 off ebay and I'm having some problems getting the modem to work for me. I've plugged the phone line in and I turn er on. I go into the internet connector and network panel and all of that and where you choose which type of connection, it lists the internal dialup modem, but I can't select it, it's all greyed out. In the system profiler it says there is no modem driver installed. Any ideas/suggestions would be great!

thank you!
dustin

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
I'm not sure if this is where you're having problems, but here's one thing that you may or may not have tried.

I'm going to assume you're using 10.3 (that's really the only OS I've got handy, but this might also apply to 10.2, if memory serves). In the network preference pane (in system preferences), in the second drop down menu ("show") choose network port configurations. Make sure that internal modem has a check mark beside it (so that's it's turned on). I would guess that if this were not enabled, internal modem might be greyed in the menu, but I might be wrong on this.

Good luck!

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
telecomm said:
Make sure that internal modem has a check mark beside it (so that's it's turned on). I would guess that if this were not enabled, internal modem might be greyed in the menu, but I might be wrong on this.
Good luck!

It's not even there. The only one I can pick is the built in ethernet...

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Counterfit said:
Get broadband then :D

y'know, if it were that easy, I would have got it years ago, but living in the middle of the woods where getting any type of cable access doesn't happen, it makes getting broadband quite the issue. Maybe someday our damn phone company will dig a trench and lay the wire, until then, stuck with dialup...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.