Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exe163

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2010
I a new to mac. I am trying to open a ".config" file but I get this error message: "There is no default application specified to open the document xxxx". Normally, on a Windows, I would just force open it with notepad as it conly contain text. How do I do the same with a Mac?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
4676197158_fbce758d13_b.jpg

4675580591_baf01ea13e_b.jpg

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Click the file once so it's highlighted, and either press Command + I or go to the File menu and select Get Info. From the Get Info window, below the Open With pop-down list choose, TextEdit. Below Use this application to open all documents like this. click Change All...

exe163

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Thanks, I got it open by using Textedit without changing extensions.

I have few more questions:

With the search on the upper right corner, after I find my filed, how do I get it to show up at the location the file is in? I can't even right click the file.

Is there a "My computer" for Mac? The finder feels like just a regular windows, especially sometimes it won't even show all my drives. I have to close all finders and restart it.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Thanks, I got it open by using Textedit without changing extensions.

I have few more questions:

With the search on the upper right corner, after I find my filed, how do I get it to show up at the location the file is in? I can't even right click the file.

Select the file and press CMD+ENTER to open up a Finder window with the folder the file resides in.

Is there a "My computer" for Mac? The finder feels like just a regular windows, especially sometimes it won't even show all my drives. I have to close all finders and restart it.

Finder is "like" Windows Explorer, several Finder windows are just windows, not Finders.

Have a look at the Preferences in Finder and see what it says UNDER GENERAL AND SIDEBAR.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.