Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
UK
Hi, my PS3 and Mac are in my room, on the same desk, my wireless router is downstairs. The PS3 is getting a poor connection (40% signal) sometimes cutting out which makes it hard to download PS network stuff. My mac has a solid signal.

What I want to do is connect my PS3 directly to my Mac using an ethernet cable. I just want to know how to get the PS3 to connect to the Macs connection through the wire. Apparently the PS3 needs to recognise the mac as a router?

Can somebody help me out please? Thanks allot!

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Okay, I'm no expert, but this is what I would try.

Go to System Prefs -> Sharing. Depending on your version of OS X, you should be able to select Internet Sharing and then specify a port over which to share it. Select Ethernet and... hopefully that will do it! Connect up your PS3 and see what happens...

Mac.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
UK
Okay, I'm no expert, but this is what I would try.

Go to System Prefs -> Sharing. Depending on your version of OS X, you should be able to select Internet Sharing and then specify a port over which to share it. Select Ethernet and... hopefully that will do it! Connect up your PS3 and see what happens...

Thanks, ill give it a try!

davidkain

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2008
East Coast, USA
Hey folks,

I'm having this exact same problem. Anyone else have any thoughts?

The PS3 does allow you to choose a "Wired" connection as opposed to wireless, as well as set IP, DNS, etc . . .

I'm not sure changing any of those settings will get the connection to work, but it's not connecting as-is :(

Thanks!

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
The way I've used my MacBook as a WiFi bridge in the past is as follows:

-Connect the two computers (in this case a PS3) via Ethernet.
-Go to your Network Sharing control panel
-Turn on Connection/Internet sharing over Ethernet
-Turn on Web Sharing as well as file sharing just to be safe.
-Reboot the computer that isn't the Mac.

That's worked every time for me...just specifiy on the PS3 end to use Ethernet as opposed to WiFi. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure...but it should.

I'm not at home with my MB at the moment, so I'll double check the terminology when I get home if you haven't already gotten it to work :)

UPDATE: I just got in, and I was almost right. You select to share your connection via the Sharing control panel, not networking. You'll click "internet sharing" and then choose to share via Ethernet.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
The way I've used my MacBook as a WiFi bridge in the past is as follows:

-Connect the two computers (in this case a PS3) via Ethernet.
-Go to your Network Sharing control panel
-Turn on Connection/Internet sharing over Ethernet
-Turn on Web Sharing as well as file sharing just to be safe.
-Reboot the computer that isn't the Mac.

That's worked every time for me...just specifiy on the PS3 end to use Ethernet as opposed to WiFi. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure...but it should.

I'm not at home with my MB at the moment, so I'll double check the terminology when I get home if you haven't already gotten it to work :)

thats the general way to do it! i was going to say that.

slightly confused though, is your notebook connected via wireless? wouldnt it also have 40% signal strength (or so)? it isnt possible to connect your laptop to the router via ethernet, then the ps3 to the laptop via ethernet as we know - there is only one ethernet port!

anyway, goodluck with it - i hope you dont need to specify manually the IP information on the ps3.

racpinoy

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
file sharing from a mac laptop to a ps3

how do i send files from my mac laptop to my ps3 using an Ethernet cable?

i have tried using ps3 media server but it takes really long to send big files to the ps3 via internet, so i want to send a file to the ps3 via Ethernet cable.

plz help, thank you!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

i have tried using ps3 media server but it takes really long to send big files to the ps3 via internet, so i want to send a file to the ps3 via Ethernet cable.

plz help, thank you!

how did you send the files? do you "copy" them from the PS3 menu? if so, that is the only way - either that or a USB flash drive.

soley

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
I don't even think this is possible due to the way the PS3 is.

But wouldn't you need a crossover cable for this? Yes, I know that OS X has that neat feature using the ethernet cable to allow for transfers (which is a feature I wish Linux had), but I can't see this working at all.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

plz help, thank you!

You cannot do it out of the box, you need a third party software for that. Try NullRiver's "ConnectPS3" (they also have a software called Connext360 that does the same thing for the Xbox 360).

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I don't even think this is possible due to the way the PS3 is.

But wouldn't you need a crossover cable for this? Yes, I know that OS X has that neat feature using the ethernet cable to allow for transfers (which is a feature I wish Linux had), but I can't see this working at all.

nah none of that is the problem man.

winni: i can send files from my iMac->PS3 using PS3MS. seems fine.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Hi, my PS3 and Mac are in my room, on the same desk, my wireless router is downstairs. The PS3 is getting a poor connection (40% signal) sometimes cutting out which makes it hard to download PS network stuff. My mac has a solid signal.

What I want to do is connect my PS3 directly to my Mac using an ethernet cable. I just want to know how to get the PS3 to connect to the Macs connection through the wire. Apparently the PS3 needs to recognise the mac as a router?

Can somebody help me out please? Thanks allot!

You need to turn on Internet Sharing on your Mac with the correct settings: You want to share your Airport Internet connection over the Ethernet port.

Then you need to enable DHCP on your PS3.

If, for some strange and unknown reason, the DHCP does not work on the PS3, try assigning it a manual IP address. Apple's Internet Sharing defaults to a 192.168.2.0/24 network, with 192.168.2.1 being the Mac itself.

For you, this means that the PS3 has to use an IP address in the pool from 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.254 (it doesn't matter which one as long as it is not being used by another machine), with 192.168.2.1 as the default gateway. The DNS server for the PS3 will also be 192.168.2.1, since the Mac serves as a DNS forwarder.

I don't have a PS3, but those settings work for my Xbox 360.

Disclaimer: I'm not at home now, so I could be mistaken about the address ranger. It's possible that Apple uses the 192.168.0.0/24 range for ICS (just as Microsoft does it). So if 192.168.2.x does not work, try 192.168.0.x instead. For all IP addresses, of course.

AZZALINI94

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2011
one more thing

hey.... i have my usb modem into my macbook and my macbook connected to my ps3 via ethernet cable... i have entered all the ip address settings but i dont know what to put for the default router ... help please

ImAFunnyGuyPS3

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2011
Dear God why isn't it working now.

So I have figured this out three times now and it for some reason it isn't working now. Do I have to change IP addresses everytime? See backstory below.

Initially shared my USB modem through my MAC into my PS3 via Ethernet. Worked great for months no problem, turn it on it worked. Then I fried my hard drive with a rare earth magnet I know I'm an idiot. Same MAC osx 10.4.11 with a new hard drive. At first I tried to use the same settings and didn't work but then I realized I had my ports turned off. Turned my ports back on worked fine. Came back a couple days later PS3 wouldn't connect. I had used basically the same settings that MacRumor user Winni defined in his thread and it worked. Now I get back on today the same thing no internet connection. With PS3 getting hacked have they removed this ability? I'm lost please help.

Leezozo

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
*the solution*

Hi Guys (sorry to bump a old thread) but like you i couldn't find a solution to solve MAC to PS3. but i found this link and it works!!! been gaming with my MAC to PS3/Xbox for months now. On this link you'l find a step by step setup instructions for Windows to PS3 and below MAC to PS3. Finding this link was gold. Enjoy. http://www.mobile-broadband-reviews.com/sharing-mobile-broadband-ps3.html

I did the manual method by entering the manual IP provided in the tutorial and i have Snow Leopard, i dont have Lion as of yet.

aquaeyes

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
This worked for me. FYI...the default router is the Gateway #.
http://www.mobile-broadband-reviews.com/sharing-mobile-broadband-ps3.html#mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.