Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nord

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Hi there ! :)

I could not find this in the forum, so I dare ask.

What's the best resizing of an MKV 1920x816 video with Handbrake to be viewed on an Apple TV while keeping the HD format (720p) ?
I'm confused with all these formats, Handbrake by default gives: 1280x544
Is that good or bad ? I can't pull up to 1680x720, I guess the Apple TV won't read it, does that mean I have to crop the video's width ? Or is the default 1280x544 better (I don't car if there are black lines if the Apple TV supports it, I'd prefer to keep the whole picture if possible)
I have no Apple TV yet, but I'm preparing a few videos in the event of purchasing one soon.

I'm no expert, I just know I need to keep it under 25 fps and under 5000 kbps, but with this cropping stuff, it beats me.

I any charitable soul could help me there just a bit, I'd appreciate it. :)

Thanks to all repliers !

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
It depends what the frame rate of the original file is:-

Original 1920x816 which is a 2.35:1 aspect ratio so the original would have black bars top and bottom.

If the frame rate is 24fps or less then encode it at 1280x544 which is still 2.35:1 and will still have black bars top and bottom.

If the frame rate is greater than 24fps then encode it at 960x408 and again it will have black bars top and bottom.

Also note that 1280x544 is still 720p because once the extra 88 pixels for the black bar at the top and 88 pixels for the black bar at the bottom are added back on it becomes 1280x720.

My advice is if the frame rate is 24fps then go with what Handbrake gave you, 1280x544.

Nord

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Aaah, I get it, with the black bars, it give a 720.

Well, thanks a lot for your kind and full response roidy. :)

I'm a newbie here, is there something I must do to check the thread as "solved" ? Or do I simply rate it or something ? Sorry if it's a trivial thing, I can't seem to find it. :p

tommylotto

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Actually, AppleTV can handle anamorphic HD material. If you really want to maximize your pixels, you can set the actual picture size at 1280x720. Then select the "custom" anamorphic setting. If you also check the box to keep the aspect ratio, then you will have an anamorphic picture size of 1680x720, which will play fine on AppleTV. This will increase your pixels by 33%.

Nord

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Always good to know, but thanks, I'll keep it like this. I prefer to see the original size rather than forcing the image to stretch.tog et more pixels. :)
But hanks for the tip.

Steppenwolf323

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2005
Aspect Ratios

Hi

I have a similar problem. I am using Handbrake to convert some of my older movies and need to change the aspect ratio to 16:9. They are presently the older smaller screen where I have to manually change the TVs aspect ratio for fullscreen. What do I need to do?

Thanks

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
You should really have started a new thread, but here you go.......

Select custom anamorphic, turn off "keep aspect ratio", make sure width and height are the same as your source(720x576 for PAL DVD or 720x480 for NTSC DVD) and then:-

If the DVD is PAL(720x576) set PAR width to 64 and PAR height to 45 which should give a display size of 1024x576.

or

If the DVD is NTSC(720x480) set PAR width to 96 and PAR height to 81 which should give a display size of 853x480.

pal.jpg

tommylotto

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Hi

I have a similar problem. I am using Handbrake to convert some of my older movies and need to change the aspect ratio to 16:9. They are presently the older smaller screen where I have to manually change the TVs aspect ratio for fullscreen. What do I need to do?

Thanks

If the file has already been encoded and all you need to do is change the aspect ratio, you can do that in Subler without having to re-encode.

Steppenwolf323

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2005
Aspect Ratio

Thanks much for the post, but I must be doing something wrong. All I am getting is a very thin wide bar in preview.

What am I doing wrong? Also what is the program someone is refering to Subler?

Steppenwolf

tommylotto

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Thanks much for the post, but I must be doing something wrong. All I am getting is a very thin wide bar in preview.

Steppenwolf

I've seen that behavior before as well. I think it is a bug. I had to quit the program and start over.

Not sure if Subler will work in your situation but it is pretty handy. Just open the file in Subler and select the Video track. That will open controls for the aspect ratio. Adjust as needed...

Attachments

• Grab.jpg
    Grab.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 489

Steppenwolf323

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2005
Subler

TommyLotto - Thanks much, but I keep getting at "Can't mux audio track" error with subler.

What am I doing wrong?

Wolf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.