Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

invisible777

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
My fiance's iPhone4 is having intermittent issues with retrieving mail. She has 1 gmail account and 1 exchange account setup. About half the time, regardless of being on wifi or 3g, when she checks mail she gets an error popup "cannot connect to mail server".

I've compared her iphone4 email settings and mine. Identical. I've never gotten this error on my iPhone 4 or on my 3G. What gives?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I get this a lot as well. Based on another thread I've seen posted here, it appears Apple has once again messed with Activesync. I'm hoping the first software update contains a fix.

invisible777

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
I get this a lot as well. Based on another thread I've seen posted here, it appears Apple has once again messed with Activesync. I'm hoping the first software update contains a fix.

It's just so odd, because I'm literally looking at both of our iphones next to eachother when this issue happens. My phone works fine. Her's doesn't. We both use gmail and both use an exchange server. Same settings.

exodiusprime

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
I had this issue for 2 days before I deleted the email account on the phone and simply added it back in. Not sure what originally caused it, but perhaps that may help.

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
i was having this problem too, the only way i was able to not get this error was to tell the account (gmail activesync) to sync back a month or less. if i used "no limit" i kept getting this message...

very frustrating.

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
This might be another issue not linked to email. My iPhone is showing full 3g service but randomly drops connection and I get the same message in email, safari etc. My girlfriends iphone is fine and is set up in the same way. I am replacing mine tomorrow

invisible777

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
This might be another issue not linked to email. My iPhone is showing full 3g service but randomly drops connection and I get the same message in email, safari etc. My girlfriends iphone is fine and is set up in the same way. I am replacing mine tomorrow

Agreed.

While my fiance's iphone4 seems worse off then mine, we're both having intermittent issues with maps loading, safari loading etc.

I've had an iphone 3g for 2 years, and I know ATT's service is solid within a 50 mile radius of my house.

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Also I think this is not network related as I am on Vodafone UK

Can you post your serial number (in case we have the same batch)

Mine is 86022

invisible777

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Also I think this is not network related as I am on Vodafone UK

Can you post your serial number (in case we have the same batch)

Mine is 86022

Mine is 85025 and works better than my fiance's.... she's at work and I'll post hers later

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.