Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
Hey all!

I have 2 LC's at home, one is ready for working, and the other one needs a little bit more hardware pieces. this first one only needs a hardrive, SCSI hardrive, and seemed to be something hard to find, at least at the places i know around here there's simply no way to find one lousy scsi hardrive.

my question is. is there some way possible to connect some other hardrive?

or use like a compact flash disk connected to some sort of cable that converts the connection to a old system?

i'm not gonna do nothing much with that computer really, it was more as a curiosity, since i got my hands on OS7

Does anyone have an idea how to do it?

Thanks people

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
I have a couple of IDE-based machines that I've used IDE-to-CF adapters on. One is running OS9, the other is running OS7. They're nice and quiet. :) I've had a harder time going through two adapters... SCSI-IDE plugged into IDE-CF, though. I wanted to make my IIci solid state, but when it comes time to format the CF drive, the SCSI formatting sofware always reports and error and quits. It's likely my adapter(s) that is causing that problem. It might work with a more direct solution like SCSI-CF or so.

wts

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
Hey all!

I have 2 LC's at home, one is ready for working, and the other one needs a little bit more hardware pieces. this first one only needs a hardrive, SCSI hardrive, and seemed to be something hard to find, at least at the places i know around here there's simply no way to find one lousy scsi hardrive.

or use like a compact flash disk connected to some sort of cable that converts the connection to a old system?

i'm not gonna do nothing much with that computer really, it was more as a curiosity, since i got my hands on OS7

Does anyone have an idea how to do it?

Thanks people

SCSI hard drives a extremely hard to find and when you do find one it's remaining life is really questionable.

What model is that LC ?

You may be able to install a PCI USB card which would allow you to use a flash drive.

Or you may be able to find a ZIP scsi hard drive or even a ORB scsi drive. If you do be sure to get the software drives.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
There is one compact flash solution that is known to work with older Macs, called a CF PowerMonster, but it's not cheap ($99) and not easily available. The site is here, although not in English:

http://www.artmix.com/CF_powermon.html

It's designed for old Powerbooks, but will work with desktops with an adapter that converts the smaller 50 pin connector to the larger one. So it can be done, but it'll take more money than most people are willing to spend on vintage hardware.

Older 50 pins drives can be found, but if you want a newer drive, you can use an SCA drive and connect it via an adapter. I also like using Zip drives with older Macs - Zip isn't fast, but neither is an LC, and 100 megs is usually more than you'll ever need. Drives and disks are still pretty cheap and widely available.

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
oh man $99?

need a cheaper solution lolol i've seen some and they all are about $100

needless to say that i have to buy it online, wont find nothing here in portugal

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
oh man $99?

Yeah, that's why I never bought one. $99 is more than my entire old Mac collection is worth. :)

Look into an external Zip drive. I think it's probably the best overall solution that won't break the bank. Or buy another floppy drive and run dual floppies. Disable the internal fan (dual floppies won't generate much heat) and you'll have a completely silent LC!

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
I've come acrossed with some SCSI hard drives, very very cheap, but i have some questions:

1 - it has 18Gb will the system recgonize the full capacity of the hdd or some of it, or because it has more than 40Mb it will simply not assume it?

2 - For the LC the hdd must have a 50 pin connector right?

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
Thanks for the link, but i've got already 2 under my attention, i just want to know IF the Macintosh LC will recognize the disk since it has 18GB, even if it recognizes only 40MB i don't care i can get this SCSI hard drive for only 1 dollar (nice biz isn't it :D), it can't get cheaper than this lolol. And if the SCSI hard drive has to be a 50 PIN SCSI HDD. From the local site were there is a bid on this, the guy 2 scsi 50 pin and one scsi 80 pin

wts

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
Here is an apple site with manuals: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50330

If memory serves me the LC's require 50 PIN SCSI HDD and will not see a 18 GB hard drive.

However I am not a qualified apple tech guy: I just poke around and try this and try that. Sometimes i luck out with my connections. Considering the cost of those drives I would buy them and try to make them work. If they don't then just re-eBay them.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
Here is an apple site with manuals: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50330

If memory serves me the LC's require 50 PIN SCSI HDD and will not see a 18 GB hard drive.

However I am not a qualified apple tech guy: I just poke around and try this and try that. Sometimes i luck out with my connections. Considering the cost of those drives I would buy them and try to make them work. If they don't then just re-eBay them.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ahh thank youu! at least i get to know it's the 50 pin scsi hdd :p

yeahh, for the price i might as well buy the 2 hdd that he is selling lol. But, even though he doesn't sees a 18Gb hdd will he assume at least 40Mb? I kindly thank anyone that has the answer:)

again, thank you :D

wts

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
ahh thank youu! at least i get to know it's the 50 pin scsi hdd :p

yeahh, for the price i might as well buy the 2 hdd that he is selling lol. But, even though he doesn't sees a 18Gb hdd will he assume at least 40Mb? I kindly thank anyone that has the answer:)

again, thank you :D

ah, no!

unfortunately these stupid computers are very fussy about what they see and so it either sees it or not.

however as i said for the cost you are paying ( plus shipping/handling?) install the drive and then use apple's disk utility to part ion the drive.

if you have another computer that is able recognized the 18 GB drive then use that computer to partition the 18 GB drive.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Things to be aware of:

1. Use SCSI 50pin. There are adapters for 68 & 80 but these most likely won't fit a "pizza-box" LC Mac.

2. The drive for an LC "pizza-box" MUST be "half-height".

eg: half the height of ye-olde 5 & 1/4" CD-ROM drive. (the same Optical Drive height we use today). Other Macs can fit "full-height" drives, like Quadra 700, PowerMac 8500 etc.

3. If the drive is larger than about 500MB, you may need to do some fancy changes to the termination. There is Passive and Active termination and some drives are changeable and some are not. Sometimes they will work if not changed to passive termination but corruption will occur.

4. Re-formatting can be difficult if you don't get an "Apple-Badged" drive. These are still made by and bear the original manufacturer's name (Seagate, Quantum, Conner, IBM) but there will be a label with (usually) a black Apple logo. "HDSC Setup" will only work with "Apple Badged" drives. There are 'patches' around but these don't always work. Formatting with Apple's later "Drive Setup" won't work since 68K Macs can't load the PPC SCSI driver and will 'Sad mac' on startup. I used to use "FWB HardDisk Toolkit" at least version 1.7.7 since it works with Driver43 (SCSI Manager 4.3) savvy systems and will format ANY drive. FWB seem to have gone 'belly-up' years ago.

5. if you're worried about capacity;
Macintosh Operating System: Maximum Volume Size
HD SC Setup 7.2
System 7.5: Enhanced Large Volume Size Support
Drive Setup 1.7.3 and Earlier: Version History

Last edited:

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
Things to be aware of:

1. Use SCSI 50pin. There are adapters for 68 & 80 but these most likely won't fit a "pizza-box" LC Mac.

2. The drive for an LC "pizza-box" MUST be "half-height".

eg: half the height of ye-olde 5 & 1/4" CD-ROM drive. (the same Optical Drive height we use today). Other Macs can fit "full-height" drives, like Quadra 700, PowerMac 8500 etc.

3. If the drive is larger than about 500MB, you may need to do some fancy changes to the termination. There is Passive and Active termination and some drives are changeable and some are not. Sometimes they will work if not changed to passive termination but corruption will occur.

4. Re-formatting can be difficult if you don't get an "Apple-Badged" drive. these are still made and bear the original manufacturer's name (Seagate, Quantum, Conner, IBM) but there will be a label with (usually) a black Apple logo. "HDSC Setup" will only work with "Apple Badged" drives. There are 'patches' around but these don't always work. Formatting with Apple's later "Drive Setup" won't work since 68K Macs can't load the PPC SCSI driver and will 'Sad mac' on startup. I used to use "FWB HardDisk Toolkit" at least version 1.7.7 since it works with Driver43 (SCSI Manager 4.3) savvy systems and will format ANY drive. FWB seem to have gone 'belly-up' years ago.

5. if you're worried about capacity;
Macintosh Operating System: Maximum Volume Size
HD SC Setup 7.2
System 7.5: Enhanced Large Volume Size Support
Drive Setup 1.7.3 and Earlier: Version History

your nick just suites you :D

Thank you so much, i now know what to do when i get my hands on the hdd :D

thumbs up to you :D

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
Well i sure picked up some very valuable information.

indeed :p

well i've to thank you too because i was unsure about buying the hdd's, but after what you said i made the jump (well they're still not mine, it's in auction lol). 2 seagate scsi 18Gb hdd and a sodimm pc333 256mb with shipping cost included for 15$ :D pretty good.

Can't wait to wake up that old LC :cool::apple:

wts

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
Those seagates should be "Apple-Badged" drives ( i never heard that term although have seen the apple logo on those types of drives ).

No doubt you got a "good" deal. I have sold off several pieces from my old computers and have always priced that at the cost of shipment . So if shipment was ten bucks i would sell the item at ten bucks. Not too long ago i sold a cpu for ten bucks that originally cost me close to 500 bucks. The cpu was fully working and i was glad to get it out of the house to help some one make use of the cpu.

At the moment i am looking for a cpu for my performa 6360 but they are hard to find because some guys really want to much and they don't believe in helping someone out.

Opps, here i go blah blah blah.

Let us know how it works out for you when you get those drives.

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
Those seagates should be "Apple-Badged" drives ( i never heard that term although have seen the apple logo on those types of drives ).

No doubt you got a "good" deal. I have sold off several pieces from my old computers and have always priced that at the cost of shipment . So if shipment was ten bucks i would sell the item at ten bucks. Not too long ago i sold a cpu for ten bucks that originally cost me close to 500 bucks. The cpu was fully working and i was glad to get it out of the house to help some one make use of the cpu.

At the moment i am looking for a cpu for my performa 6360 but they are hard to find because some guys really want to much and they don't believe in helping someone out.

Opps, here i go blah blah blah.

Let us know how it works out for you when you get those drives.

yeah i know they should be, but they were already hard to find lolol.

Yeah i know what that is, here in my country i've seen the most horrific prices for iMac's G4 / eMac's / iMac G3 / iBooks, even Macintosh classic/se

for example, i've seen iMac's G4 between 250$ - 625$, a eMac for 781$, iMac's G3 and some ibooks between 75$ - 250$ (the ibook more in the 250$ side) and a guy asking 250$ for a Macintosh SE. i don't know if the prices are the same there but here....are just simply nonsense. the most incredible prices that you can't imagine lol just because they are beautiful or whatever they all want a big chunk.

about the blah blah blah, don't worry dude :D

this way i practice spoken and written english, and also it's the best way of clear up our doubts and get more knowledge, aint it ? so, keep it coming :D

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
indeed :p

well i've to thank you too because i was unsure about buying the hdd's, but after what you said i made the jump (well they're still not mine, it's in auction lol). 2 seagate scsi 18Gb hdd and a sodimm pc333 256mb with shipping cost included for 15$ :D pretty good.

If you're wanting a drive for your LC, I'd suggest a much smaller drive than 18GB. :eek: Remember, your LC isn't going to be able to address much more than a 1GB drive. 2GB if you're running System 7.5.2 or later.

Best to try to get a 230MB or so for the LC.

The "Apple Badged" drives are essentially the the same hardware as the "off the shelf" drives but with Apple's slightly modified firmware. This is how Apple prevents "HDSC Setup" from working with "off the shelf" hard drives.

Attachments

• Hard Disk ToolKit PE 2.0.1.zip
    1 MB · Views: 470
Last edited:

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC

One thing that people forget about the LC is that it'll run System 6.0.8 - in fact is was one of the last Macs released that can. System 6 will make the LC feel a heck of a lot faster than 7. Unless you're planning on running applications that require 7 - give 6 a try!

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I have an LC II. I have upgraded with a 160MB hard drive. Anybody know the maximum size SCSI hard drive that the LC II will accept? Thanks!

wts

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
One thing that people forget about the LC is that it'lllike run System 6.0.8 - in fact is was one of the last Macs released that can. System 6 will make the LC feel a heck of a lot faster than 7. Unless you're planning on running applications that require 7 - give 6 a try!

and where do i get S6 for downloading ?

i'd like to try it out just for fun

i'm sure it can;t be that large perhaps one floppy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.