Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Topic..... I see people on all the time, Do they keep their computers on all the time w/o sleepin' and not havin' the hardrives sleep? Is that ok for computers? Whenever my eMac (OSX) goes to sleep it will sign me off. Just wonderin'. Thanks in advance.

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
I am inclined to say no. But if anyone has anything different please post it, becuase I am a compulsive AIM Person (the only time I turn it off is when I am studying).

Mike

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
If you mean "Sleep" in the typical sense in the Mac OS, no you cannot maintain an AIM login. There is no network connectivity to a Mac that is sleeping.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
No... When it's sleeping, it turns of your networking "stuff". Therefore, the AOL IM connection is "broken" and disconnects. No way around it. Sorry. :cool:

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Sorry, not hijacking your thread, but I have a related thought ...

Sometimes I like to keep my network connections open, but I want to shut my Powerbook's lid. I don't like leaving the lid open, it feels "unsafe" somehow.

So is there a way to keep your computer from going to sleep when the lid is closed?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I have read arguments in both directions. The amount of heat that leeches through the keyboard itself is small. However, the face of a powerbook gets quite hot, and with the LCD in such close proximity, I have no idea what that heat is doing to the plastic and liquid crystals. IMO, it's not a great idea to run with the lid closed, however, apparently, Apple supports that behavior.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
stoid said:

Actually, you'll notice that that doesn't work for newer PowerBooks (Anything running Panther or above). It'll prevent sleep for about 2 minutes, then the machine will power OFF. The only way to prevent a recently manufactured PowerBook from sleeping is to interrupt the magnetic sleep switch located under the Right Arrow key. There's an article about it on MacOSXhints, but I can't find it right now. People have wrapped coins in tape (to prevent scratching), placed them on the handrest below the end key, and then closed the lid on them. The PowerBook will stay awake, and will not shut itself down after a few minutes.

However, none of this really helps out the original poster, to whom I appologize for responding to an off-topic post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.