Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
my 2.0 GHz dual g5, custom built from apple.com, finally arrived today. about 45 minutes ago.

i carefully unpackaged it, examining every included piece (i get to do this about once every 4-5 years, don'tcha know), and finally put the rather heavy computer on my table.

i was admiring everything about its loveliness, until...

...i got to the back. and discovered that both the airport and bluetooth antennas are bent away from the access holes. with some amount of effort, i got the BT antenna in, but the airport one is too far behind the back panel.

ugh.

i will be taking it to the apple store tomorrow.

very disappointed.

stealthy

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2004
NYC Metro Area
zimv20 said:
...i got to the back. and discovered that both the airport and bluetooth antennas are bent away from the access holes. with some amount of effort, i got the BT antenna in, but the airport one is too far behind the back panel.

Oh that sucks :( sorry to hear that.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Wow, that sucks... sorry dude! I'm surprised they keep the antennas on like that in the box, you'd think that would be part of the user's assembly. :confused:

Edit: I see, the photo explains it. It wasn't what I was picturing. Can you open the case to see how the actual components are positioned inside? Were they not soldered to the mobo correctly? Or is the case/mobo just misaligned?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Damn - that's just not right. I know your pain, though.

I ordered the original Sawtooth, had the thing arrive, went and looked at everything and discovered they had sent me a Yikes - standard memory and none of my bto options. The worst thing was having the thing sit there knowing it had to be shipped back and then go through the waiting process.

Let us know how it turns out.

D

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Man, that is the absolute worst feeling in the world (well, it ranks up there somewhere anyway). I feel your anguish.
I waited in line over night at the local Wal-Mart for my PS2 (first in line baby!..what a geek). I took it home, but couldn't test it out because I had to go to work. All I thought about that day was plugging that sucker in and trying out SSX. When I got home from work, my @$$ dragging from being up for 36 hours, I hooked it up and IT DIDN'T FREAKIN' WORK!! I was so po'd. It wasn't like I could go to the store and exchange it - everyone was sold out for weeks.
I called my nephew to commiserate (sp?). Luckily for me, he had somehow gotten a hold of two, so he let me have his other one until I could get mine replaced.
I hope the Apple Store can set you square as quickly.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
thanks, everyone. here's what it looks like:

Attachments

• holes.jpg
    holes.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 334

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Are you going to have them work on it there or are they going to have to keep it for a while and ship it out to get fixed?

Maybe they give you an upgrade or something extra....but don't hold your breath for that.

Good luck,

D

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Mr. Anderson said:
Are you going to have them work on it there or are they going to have to keep it for a while and ship it out to get fixed?
i figured i'd just drop it off. the support guy on the phone said something about swapping out the motherboard.

i'm debating on applestore vs. microcenter. the logistics of the downtown apple store (no parking) are giving me pause.

Maybe they give you an upgrade or something extra....but don't hold your breath for that.
that'd be nice, huh? frankly, there's not much more on the machine to upgrade :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
zimv20 said:
i figured i'd just drop it off. the support guy on the phone said something about swapping out the motherboard.

i'm debating on applestore vs. microcenter. the logistics of the downtown apple store (no parking) are giving me pause.

that'd be nice, huh? frankly, there's not much more on the machine to upgrade :)

are the antennas connected directly? and would you get a new mobo? Interesting that they'd do that type of work in the store.....I've had what I've considered simple things required shipping out. Oh, well, good luck.

I'm going to be in Chicago this weekend, looking forward to checking out the big store downtown.

D

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
Mr. Anderson said:
I'm going to be in Chicago this weekend, looking forward to checking out the big store downtown.
I love the Chicago store...WAYYY nice. I have been there a few times and it is certainly one of my favs. You will love it. It has perfect placement.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
jet3004 said:
I love the Chicago store...WAYYY nice. I have been there a few times and it is certainly one of my favs. You will love it. It has perfect placement.

I've been to 3 or 4 others, but none of the flagship stores - I'm looking forward to it. Just wish I'd be leaving the store with a new machine :D

D

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
zimv20 said:
my 2.0 GHz dual g5, custom built from apple.com, finally arrived today. about 45 minutes ago.

i carefully unpackaged it, examining every included piece (i get to do this about once every 4-5 years, don'tcha know), and finally put the rather heavy computer on my table.

i was admiring everything about its loveliness, until...

ugh.

i will be taking it to the apple store tomorrow.

very disappointed.

Was the packaging/box damaged also? The reason I ask is b/c FedEx beat the crap out of my iMac G5 box (arrived today)......luckily no damage.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
Apple actually builds the boxes so that they can be run over by a truck and still keep their shape, just because of lousy shippers. Actually, judging by how Apple stuff gets into my store, they go out of their way to hire crappy shippers.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
zimv20 you could always go to the store in Woodfield, plenty of parking there, although im not sure if they will do the repairs there because it isnt one of the larger stores

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
PlaceofDis said:
zimv20 you could always go to the store in Woodfield, plenty of parking there, although im not sure if they will do the repairs there because it isnt one of the larger stores
yeah, i'm not really a suburbs kind of guy, though. the real issue w/ the chicago store isn't the parking (there are garages), it's the several block walk from the garage to the store w/ the rather heavy g5. i'll figure it out.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
update: item dropped off at apple store
diagnosis: new mother board
notes: i've never powered up this machine

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
jet3004 said:

It is a really nice store. And, you should have seen the line on opening night, it was crazy. The theater seats are are very comfy, and you gotta love the glass staircase.

Oh, and don't forget the super long Genuis Bar.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Mr. Anderson said:
I've been to 3 or 4 others, but none of the flagship stores - I'm looking forward to it. Just wish I'd be leaving the store with a new machine :D

D

I'm jealous Mr. Anderson, you are so lucky to be able to visit a Flag Ship Apple Store. I hope that you will take and post pictures. It must be very exciting. If you want a machine why not, you only live once. ;)

zimv20, thank you for posting your experience. Don't think I would have noticed the problem. It will all work out. Once your using the new G5 the disappointment will be a faint memory.

switchedanhappy

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2003
ct usa
when my dual 2 arrived the antennas were in a separate baggie that i plugged in. it seems odd that yours would be different. why would they do that? the packaging obviously isn't designed for it.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
my antennas were also in their own bags. it was the ports that was the problem. see the picture i attached above.

i'll have an update in a bit.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
update!

the chicago apple store was able to turn around the repair in just over 24 hours. they did indeed swap in a whole 'nother motherboard.

it was a warranty repair, of course, but my receipt shows a cost just shy of $900 (yikes).

i've got most of my stuff transferred over. user experience is MUCH faster than my dual g4/500, which had been feeling pretty sluggish over the past 6 months. i'll put it through its paces w/ ProTools soon enough.

other than the fact this thing isn't nearly as quiet as i thought it would be, i'm satisfied.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.